NFCN Preview

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting read

NFC North preview: Questions under center

Quarterback issues could trouble all 4 teams in division, especially Vikings.

"In Chicago, Grossman took inconsistency to new highs—and lows. In his best six games, his passer rating was 118.9. In his worst six games, it was 29.8."

"In Green Bay, Brett Favre soon will be 38, and the legend could be closer to playing like Randy Wright than Bart Starr. Favre had six games last season in which his passer rating was worse than 55—one more than Rex Grossman. What's more, Favre's yards per attempt of 6.34 ranked 23rd in the NFL."

"In Detroit, Jon Kitna accounted for 31 turnovers—highest in the league and six more than Grossman. He also was your pass rusher's best friend, going down on sacks 63 times—most in the NFL by 14."

"And in Minnesota, Tarvaris Jackson is the biggest wild card of all. He has started only two NFL games since the Vikings picked him in the second round of the 2006 draft, about two rounds higher than he was projected to go......The Vikings don't have many question marks other than the passing game. They had so much confidence in Jackson they didn't even bother to pursue a veteran backup such as Jeff Garcia, Joey Harrington or David Carr—although they probably still will add a quarterback."

OP
OP
vikesrule

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Vikings dont have any other question marks? try WR....

The Vikings don't have many question marks other than the passing game.

WOW, and here I thought that WR's were a part of the passing game :roll:

As far as LB and CB, you ever hear of a guy named Antoine Winfield?
or EJ. Henderson?
with some Ben Leber and Dontarrious Thomas thrown in to the mix.

And to add to the group, you will meet Mr. Chad Greenway this year :twisted:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I don't like the sounds of this... I think the Lions now have the best pair of WR in the conference if tonights showing is anything to come..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...review/2007/08/09/bengals.lions.ap/index.html

DETROIT (AP) -- Calvin Johnson showed a glimpse of what's to come from the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft.

Johnson caught two passes for 45 yards late in the first half to set up a score and the Detroit Lions rallied late to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 27-26 on Thursday night in the exhibition opener for both teams.

LindyInfante

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the sounds of this... I think the Lions now have the best pair of WR in the conference if tonights showing is anything to come..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...review/2007/08/09/bengals.lions.ap/index.html

DETROIT (AP) -- Calvin Johnson showed a glimpse of what's to come from the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft.

Johnson caught two passes for 45 yards late in the first half to set up a score and the Detroit Lions rallied late to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 27-26 on Thursday night in the exhibition opener for both teams.

I hope you meant best Wrs in the division and not conference(Holt/ Bruce)Boldin/ Fitzgerald? just to name a few) I still think Driver and Berrion will have exceptional years this season for Chicago and Green Bay. Preseason is a joke(example: Raiders went 4-1 last preseason) not to mention the Bengals defense is suspect also. The Lions will always be the Lions and against some good DBs(Bears) they will not be so lucky with all of their 20 plus yard throws that Martz likes to gamble on. Kitna is an interception machine, I know Favre is too, but Kitna is a career back-up at best. 10-6? ya right Jonny boy. :rotflmao: I wish I would've gotten to coach Brett.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
the Vikings dont have any other question marks? try WR....

The Vikings don't have many question marks other than the passing game.

WOW, and here I thought that WR's were a part of the passing game :roll:

As far as LB and CB, you ever hear of a guy named Antoine Winfield?
or EJ. Henderson?
with some Ben Leber and Dontarrious Thomas thrown in to the mix.

And to add to the group, you will meet Mr. Chad Greenway this year :twisted:

i didnt see the passing game part. I just saw the vikings dont have many other question marks.
Antonie Winfield thats what 1 CB you need more then that Cedric Griffin, Marcus Maculey are both young and havent proved all that much.

Ben Leber and Dontarrious Thomas o boy some real super stars there. Greenway can be good but is coming off an injury and is now basically a rookie again.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Ben Leber and Dontarrious Thomas o boy some real super stars there. Greenway can be good but is coming off an injury and is now basically a rookie again.

If Dontarrious can find his comfort zone that he hd in college... he will become a big time player. I hate to admit it, but the kid could be very good.

OP
OP
vikesrule

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Dontarrious can find his comfort zone that he hd in college... he will become a big time player. I hate to admit it, but the kid could be very good.

Well Pack93z if the preseason is any indication, you had pretty good insight. :thumbsup:

From last nights game - Vikings 10 St. Louis 13:

"Dontarrious Thomas had two of Minnesota's three interceptions. He returned the second one 82 yards early in the third quarter for the Vikings' lone touchdown."

We still have a long ways to go, but overall I felt good about it.

Sidenote: Just to make you cheeseheads feel good.

"Ryan Longwell pulled a 42-yard field goal wide left, fumbling a chance to give Minnesota the lead at the 3-minute mark."

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions WRs are for real. The rookie is going to make the other receivers that much better, and Kitna is more than adequate of a qb. I think that they could be .500 this year, which means no more free 2 wins for the rest of the NFCN teams.

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this season. If Rex keeps his bearings, I believe the Bears are going to have a good season.

As for the rest of the division, I'm not really sure. I have a feeling the Vikings are going to pull something together. I expect big things from Jackson and Peterson in the coming years. If Favre has a good year, the Packers have a good year.

My prediction for the NFC North:

1. Chicago Bears
2. Minnesota Vikings
3. Detroit Lions
4. Green Bay Packers

-OR-

Bears
Packers
Vikes
Kitties

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearDown! said:
I'm looking forward to this season. If Rex keeps his bearings, I believe the Bears are going to have a good season.

As for the rest of the division, I'm not really sure. I have a feeling the Vikings are going to pull something together. I expect big things from Jackson and Peterson in the coming years. If Favre has a good year, the Packers have a good year.

1. Chicago Bears
2. Minnesota Vikings
3. Detroit Lions
4. Green Bay Packers

-OR-

Bears
Packers
Vikes
Kitties
Hmm......a Bear fan picking the Bears to finish first.......is that a surprise? I pick the Packers to finish first (no surprise there either, hey?LOL!)........unless the Bears get a QB. Then they might repeat as North champs. But as long as "Wrecks" is in there, i feel we have a good chance.

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearDown! said:

1. Chicago Bears
2. Minnesota Vikings
3. Detroit Lions
4. Green Bay Packers

-OR-

Bears
Packers
Vikes
Kitties
Hmm......a Bear fan picking the Bears to finish first.......is that a surprise? I pick the Packers to finish first (no surprise there either, hey?LOL!)........unless the Bears get a QB. Then they might repeat as North champs. But as long as "Wrecks" is in there, i feel we have a good chance.

Exactly what I said, if Rex has a good year, the Bears will do well. I think he will, but I also thought he'd play good the whole year, not just blow everything off after Week 5. I pick the Packers to finish no better than third.

Pack93z

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sorry but it is the most fitting thing I seen with Rex on it...

In seriousness, I think with Harris and Brown comming back, you folks in the Windy city have a decent shot in the NFC.

Hopefully we see more of this :razz:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see, we'll see.

I'm just optimistic about this year. You guys probably know how I feel from the Packers '96/'97 championship runs. But, I guess anything can happen.

I'm worried about the Vikings and Lions, I don't know why. Should I be?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearDown! said:
We'll see, we'll see.

I'm just optimistic about this year. You guys probably know how I feel from the Packers '96/'97 championship runs. But, I guess anything can happen.

I'm worried about the Vikings and Lions, I don't know why. Should I be?

Trying to be as objective as I can here, I think the Bears can expect to win 4 of their 6 division games this year. I believe the Packers will take 1 off of them, and I also can see either the Vikings or Lions beating them once out of the 4 times they combine to play Chicago. I'm not sure which I see as more likely to do it, so yeah, I'd worry at least a little about the both of them.