NFC Predictions for next year

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Yesterday I wore a Packer tie to work. Some guy at the store made some snide remark about if my company had any dress code standards (I do live in vike country). I said "yeah, their requirement is that any team tie can only be of a team with at least 12 championships." He replies "typical Packer fan - living in the past"... Which resulted in a the rather obvious comeback "well at least my team has a past, and a rather glorious one at that, and isn't a never-was."

That ended the conversation.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Yesterday I wore a Packer tie to work. Some guy at the store made some snide remark about if my company had any dress code standards (I do live in vike country). I said "yeah, their requirement is that any team tie can only be of a team with at least 12 championships." He replies "typical Packer fan - living in the past"... Which resulted in a the rather obvious comeback "well at least my team has a past, and a rather glorious one at that, and isn't a never-was."

That ended the conversation.

Well played. My roommate in college was a big 49ers fan. We probably had the "greatest franchise of all time" argument about 1000 times. His point was always....if it happened 40-50 years ago or more, it doesn't matter because competition wasn't as good. To which I always said...."That's a horrible argument because 20 years from now I will be able to tell you that the 49ers championships don't matter because they happened 40 years ago. History matters.....all championships count, and last time I checked the LIONS had more than the Vikings.:viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys don't understand, I guess, what a forum is all about. I'm not sure why that is? It's not like you're going to get non-exclusive Packers fans banned, so why whine and complain when a guy like me posts self-evident truths?

Green Bay is good, but Minnesota is better. Will the Packers get better over the course of this off season? If you're going by history of TT's records, then no, they will regress. Consistent winning is a concept that has escaped MM and TT. Furthermore, it takes TT's draft picks years to develop AND he doesn't sign many FA's - so if you expect the Packers to get better in 2010 without the help of FA's and draft picks, I think it's a tough sell. I would settle for 11-5 and a playoff berth, all things in TT's history being considered.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
You guys don't understand, I guess, what a forum is all about. I'm not sure why that is? It's not like you're going to get non-exclusive Packers fans banned, so why whine and complain when a guy like me posts self-evident truths?

Green Bay is good, but Minnesota is better. Will the Packers get better over the course of this off season? If you're going by history of TT's records, then no, they will regress. Consistent winning is a concept that has escaped MM and TT. Furthermore, it takes TT's draft picks years to develop AND he doesn't sign many FA's - so if you expect the Packers to get better in 2010 without the help of FA's and draft picks, I think it's a tough sell. I would settle for 11-5 and a playoff berth, all things in TT's history being considered.

It takes TT's draft picks years to develop? Jermichael Finley, Greg Jennings, and Clay Matthews took years to develop? Don't know where you get off saying that consistent winning has escaped Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson. If you look at the numbers Mike McCarthy and Brad Childress have both won 36 games in their four year career and have lost in the NFC Championship. So by ripping on Mike McCarthy for that record, you are essentially saying that Brad Childress doesn't know how to win either.

I guess I just don't understand why you post here. Its called PACKERforum. Why would you post here?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Do you really want to compare winning traditions between the two franchises? You will lose every time.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
... from what my neutral mind has seen ... from a non-talking-head or Vegas standpoint.

Been lurking on this site for the bulk of the past season. I don't believe, Haus, that you are as "neutral" in your analysis as you apparently think. Not that I am saying that I disagree with your insights as they tend to be quite good and interesting, but they do tend to favor the purple team a bit. If you accepted that you have this bias, then you'd be more credible to, at least, this one reader.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been lurking on this site for the bulk of the past season. I don't believe, Haus, that you are as "neutral" in your analysis as you apparently think. Not that I am saying that I disagree with your insights as they tend to be quite good and interesting, but they do tend to favor the purple team a bit. If you accepted that you have this bias, then you'd be more credible to, at least, this one reader.

But, here's the problem - I am a Packers fan first and foremost and when the way I go about my business is that I don't wanna have smoke blown up my *** about my team. I want them to be great and improve and the best method, for me, is to call a spade a spade.

I don't necessarily like the Vikings - I am only following them because of Favre. Once he's done, my affinity for the Vikings is all but gone.

So, I think Minnesota is a better team. Is Chilly better than Mac? That's kinda like comparing ****** to Mussolini - neither are going to win many awards. I do think Minnesota is a better-run franchise over the past few years - not by leaps and bounds, but by about what we've seen in both teams' records over the past two years. They drafted remarkably well, and they aren't afraid to bring in guys that cost money.

Both teams are very good, yet both teams were exposed by certain ball clubs this past year, so I wouldn't call either team dominant, although Minny really tightened up their game in the post-season. But, lots of things will happen between now and next season. I can't wait.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?****** to Mussolini? You saying that to get responses like this?

After thinking a lot about TT's strategy in the off-season and how people consider him to not take risks at all in FA. If someone does only focus on the draft, they need that extra money to secure those future players on the Packers. All the people who have knocked TT for not getting the big names in Free Agency really need to realize how important it is that TT doesn't spend that much money on Free Agents.

Are there really any unrestricted Free Agents that would put us over the top for sure?No, there isn't. Sure, it would be great to get Julius Peppers, but he's a tremendous risk given what has been said. Peppers is an incredible athlete no doubt, but a 6 7 OLB? That sounds risky at best. I'd just like to know how other people would approach the off-season that are complaining about TT's lack of activity in the FA market.

Right where it stands the Vikings are better than the Packers as of right now. The Packers need to prove they can out-play them next season and I can't wait to watch those two games. Such a great rivalry.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Do you really want to compare winning traditions between the two franchises? You will lose every time.
You are right if you definition of "winning tradition" is limited to only winning the big game. If that is all that counts, and in this instance I'm sure it is because we are talking the Vikings and the Packers. But if you want to broaden the scope of "winning tradition" don't be to sure that the Packers will beat the Vikings every time. I'll give you a little example. Percentage of years the teams have made it to the playoffs. Packers 32.5%, Vikings 54.2%. Oops, better adjust that to just the time frame the Vikings have been in the league. Packers, 39.6%. (Now this is where you make your comment about the number of championships won. Because we all know that winning traditions can only come from a team that wins championships.)

I always find it funny how on Packer boards if a Packer fan claims the Vikings are a better team, no matter what the reason, he is brought to task because he doesn't "toe the line" to the Packers are better then the Vikings no matter what line.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
You are right if you definition of "winning tradition" is limited to only winning the big game. If that is all that counts, and in this instance I'm sure it is because we are talking the Vikings and the Packers. But if you want to broaden the scope of "winning tradition" don't be to sure that the Packers will beat the Vikings every time. I'll give you a little example. Percentage of years the teams have made it to the playoffs. Packers 32.5%, Vikings 54.2%. Oops, better adjust that to just the time frame the Vikings have been in the league. Packers, 39.6%. (Now this is where you make your comment about the number of championships won. Because we all know that winning traditions can only come from a team that wins championships.)

I always find it funny how on Packer boards if a Packer fan claims the Vikings are a better team, no matter what the reason, he is brought to task because he doesn't "toe the line" to the Packers are better then the Vikings no matter what line.
That's dumb. I don't know how else to put it. You are the only person i've ever seen measure franchise success with percentage of seasons in the playoffs. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, success is measured in championships. Why were the '80's 49ers great? Because they won Super Bowls. Why were the 70's Steelers great? Because they won Super Bowls. Why were the '90s Cowboys great? Because they won Super Bowls. Why were the '00s Patriots great? Because they won Super Bowls. Why are the New York Yankees great? Because they have the most World Series. Why are the Boston Celtics great? Because they have about a billion NBA championships. Like it or not, and if my team had none i'd try to come up with some other argument, teams are defined by their championships. That's just the way it is.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is this current Colts franchise so great? oh well, they went to the playoffs a lot and won one SB, sooo.......DYNASTY!

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
But, here's the problem - I am a Packers fan first and foremost and when the way I go about my business is that I don't wanna have smoke blown up my *** about my team. I want them to be great and improve and the best method, for me, is to call a spade a spade.

I don't necessarily like the Vikings - I am only following them because of Favre. Once he's done, my affinity for the Vikings is all but gone.

So, I think Minnesota is a better team. Is Chilly better than Mac? That's kinda like comparing ****** to Mussolini - neither are going to win many awards. I do think Minnesota is a better-run franchise over the past few years - not by leaps and bounds, but by about what we've seen in both teams' records over the past two years. They drafted remarkably well, and they aren't afraid to bring in guys that cost money.

Both teams are very good, yet both teams were exposed by certain ball clubs this past year, so I wouldn't call either team dominant, although Minny really tightened up their game in the post-season. But, lots of things will happen between now and next season. I can't wait.

Fans like you make me sick. Don't call yourself a Packer fan. You are not one. Whether you say you are or not.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

What other way do you measure winning tradition? The Cubs have been a very good franchise in the last 10 years.....making the playoffs plenty of times....and yet they are still considered one of the worst franchises in sports. No one cares about winning in the regular season unless you win the big one....which, last time I checked, the 'queens have never done.

Here's to hoping the 'queens move to LA. GO LOS ANGELES VIKINGS!!!!!!

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
What other way do you measure winning tradition? The Cubs have been a very good franchise in the last 10 years.....making the playoffs plenty of times....and yet they are still considered one of the worst franchises in sports. No one cares about winning in the regular season unless you win the big one....which, last time I checked, the 'queens have never done.

Here's to hoping the 'queens move to LA. GO LOS ANGELES VIKINGS!!!!!!

The greatest thing that ever happened to the Vikings is when Joe Kapp was allowed to suck Ray Nitschke's oxygen on the set of The Longest Yard...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

No offense man, but this is not a good argument on your part. NO ONE cares who makes the playoffs a higher percentage of times. I would be willing to bet even Vikings fans don't care about that. The big game is the important one. That IS how success is judged and I would be willing bet that Vikings fans would trade all the regular season success for a championship.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. You are the only person i've ever seen measure franchise success with percentage of seasons in the playoffs.

Count me in as another "dumb ***", then, because winning is winning. Certainly, you wouldn't have us all believe that a team can have 20 years of losing seasons, then win a Super Bowl, then have 20 more season of losing football, then win another Super Bowl, yada yada yada...and then come to the conclusion that this particular team is a winning team???

Holy smokes - there are bats in full flight in some belfrys here. :)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Count me in as another "dumb ***", then, because winning is winning. Certainly, you wouldn't have us all believe that a team can have 20 years of losing seasons, then win a Super Bowl, then have 20 more season of losing football, then win another Super Bowl, yada yada yada...and then come to the conclusion that this particular team is a winning team???

I guess thats how you measure success if your team sucks and can't win anything important. That's how losers talk. "Well, we had a good season, lets go get 'em next year."

Only crappy franchises measure success that way. Like the Clippers, Cubs, and Vikings.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess thats how you measure success if your team sucks and can't win anything important. That's how losers talk. "Well, we had a good season, lets go get 'em next year."

Only crappy franchises measure success that way. Like the Clippers, Cubs, and Vikings.

That's ridiculous from a rational standpoint using my argument.

I just don't see how you could call a franchise with an overall winning record a losing team - it's frightfully asinine.

Super Bowls don't necessarily keep the fans in the seats as much as winning seasons do. That, my friend, is a fact.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

As a rational person, I will give you that the Vikings aren't losers. They have a pretty good win percentage, good for them. I just think 12 championships or whatever we have trumps that.

I'm not arguing that Minnesota wins a lot of games, they certainly do, but when someone tries to tell me they have a better "winning tradition" than the Packers, I don't buy it.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
As a rational person, I will give you that the Vikings aren't losers. They have a pretty good win percentage, good for them. I just think 12 championships or whatever we have trumps that.

I'm not arguing that Minnesota wins a lot of games, they certainly do, but when someone tries to tell me they have a better "winning tradition" than the Packers, I don't buy it.

Its just losers making excuses for their loser team.

NFL Championships:
Packers: 12
Bears: 10
Lions: 4
LA Vikings: 0

:viksux::viksux::viksux:

Losers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't believe I'm actually hearing that the Vikings have a winning tradition...

Last time I checked, the NFL isn't decided by who wins more during the season, but rather who wins the final game...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I just can't believe I'm actually hearing that the Vikings have a winning tradition...

Last time I checked, the NFL isn't decided by who wins more during the season, but rather who wins the final game...

YES!!! And you're hearing that the Vikings are winners from a "Packer fan."

The Packers are the only team in league history to win three strait championships.......and we've done it twice. But the Vikings have make the playoffs 50% of the time. Which is better? I guess if your team sucks, then making the playoffs sometimes is something to be proud of.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts