Nfc North title game studs and duds

MontyPython

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A great win! But with all the talk about dud refs; I gotta give a dud to our linemen being taught to stand up and point even when the D lineman did not come close to making them move.

D lineman have to be in the neutral zone for that to work

H

HardRightEdge

When do they vote for MVP ?
Soon if not right now. Collinsworth mentioned during the broadcast that he had not decided yet how to vote. I wouldn't vote for Brady, having missed 4 games, but that doesn't mean much. I'd expect he'll get it but not in a runaway.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tough call between ryan and rodgers i think
ryan put up slightly bigger numbers, but he also has more to work with
rodgers started slow, but really carried the team on his back the 2nd half of the season

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers started slow, but really carried the team on his back the 2nd half of the season
I'm not really disagreeing, but the number I look at is TDs and Rodgers has that one.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't vote for Ryan, which of course matters not in the least. I would not have voted for Newton last season either.

Ryan has a history of late season fades and playoff failures. He has not established himself as a big possum who can walk late. I would strongly consider Ryan for Offensive Player of the Year (same with Newton last season), but for me that's a different set of considerations.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will gladly say that my fears were unfounded with this last game. Despite the vulnerability of the defense especially down the right side they were able to keep the Lions from outscoring them.

Can't believe how many injuries they the secondary has sustained. Don't know who they can get to play CB now.

Rogers, Geronimo, Ripkowski and Montgomery. Heck. Pretty much the whole offense. They were creative and made plays when it looked like nothing was there. Rodgers played phenomenally.

The whole team showed up to play.

Great win. Will enjoy it today then on to the Giants.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers
Cook
Rip
Davante-I didn't mind taking the 15 yards on that 360 windmill, that was a big td for him and he was pumped. His confidence is back.
Ty in limited use-5.5 ypc
Allison huge, makes the absence of Randall Cobb be negligible

Micah Hyde is just a clean, all around good football player.
Thomas made an impact, as did Perry with the club and all

Duds:
Clay dropping easiest INT of life, might have went the other way. Expecting at least one enormous play from him Sunday.
Missed PAT

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Though I've already listed him as a dud for not calling his offense to take a knee at the start of our last series (when Spriggs got hurt) but...

Stud
McCarthy for that brilliant QB bootleg/scramble call to the left on 4th and short. Everybody was expecting a hand off run to the right. Kudos, MM. Now that was a gutsy smart play call.

Chris398

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUDS.....

AR=MVP
GMO.....AR trusts him
ADAMS....didn't drop a pass
TYMO.......like his running patience, bouncing to the outside whereas Stark's would just run into the pile.
COOK.......for finally being what everyone was expecting

DUDS.....penalties, noisy stadium. Hope Lions enjoy Seattle......noise right back at ya.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I've already listed him as a dud for not calling his offense to take a knee at the start of our last series (when Spriggs got hurt) but...

Stud
McCarthy for that brilliant QB bootleg/scramble call to the left on 4th and short. Everybody was expecting a hand off run to the right. Kudos, MM. Now that was a gutsy smart play call.
I liked it because it kept the ball in the hands of the best and smartest player on the field.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beleive it or not, the defense. The Lions should've ravaged our secondary in the second half and they shut down Stafford and their receivers. Looks like Capers is back next year.

Yeah but how much of that was Stafford struggling to throw an accurate ball consistently? Once they started getting hits on Stafford he started struggling, IMO Perry burying Stafford in the third quarter took the wind out of Staffords game.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Yeah but how much of that was Stafford struggling to throw an accurate ball consistently? Once they started getting hits on Stafford he started struggling, IMO Perry burying Stafford in the third quarter took the wind out of Staffords game.

He could get accurate passes off because our DEFENSE got in his face. Why is there a reluctance to give credit where credit is due ?

I

STUDS.....

AR=MVP
GMO.....AR trusts him
ADAMS....didn't drop a pass
TYMO.......like his running patience, bouncing to the outside whereas Stark's would just run into the pile.
COOK.......for finally being what everyone was expecting

DUDS.....penalties, noisy stadium. Hope Lions enjoy Seattle......noise right back at ya.

So now it's wrong for the Lions to have a noisy stadium ? JSMH

I

I'm proud to be a Packer fan, but the level of excuses we come up with is embarrassing at times. We lost a game to Seattle in a championship, no, we didn't lose it, we gave it away but it was the refs fault. Mr Rodgers went through a period were he was mediocre at best, but that was the defenses fault, and apparently our WR corps etc etc etc. We are in control of our own destiny, and we'd better step up. Rant over !

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
He could get accurate passes off because our DEFENSE got in his face. Why is there a reluctance to give credit where credit is due ?

Probably because the Lions were missing 3 starters on their O-line. Not having Swanson at center forced the starting LG to move over. It was last minute that the RT Reiff was listed as inactive. So the normal starting LG, C and RT were out for this game. They also did not have Rid**** who has been Stafford's safety valve all year. That's not insignificant.

That being said, the Packers D did a fantastic job of exploiting that situation in the 2nd half. I'm honestly not sure why it took them so long to figure out how easy it would be to get pressure. No one could block and Stafford didn't have a shifty back to dump it to when he got hurried. The Lions leading at halftime was surprising to me, as was the final score. I really expected to get blown out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not really disagreeing, but the number I look at is TDs and Rodgers has that one.

While I would love for Rodgers to win I think you have to give it to Ryan. Even when Julio Jones was out, the Falcons offense has been pretty terrific. More importantly, look at the Falcon's schedule, they played brutal pass defenses in the Broncos, Seahawks (when Thomas was healthy), Eagles, Chiefs and Cardinals and the Falcons offense still put up historically impressive numbers. I mean, the Falcons averaged 3.01 points per drive, since 1997 only TWO other teams have averaged better (2007 Pats and 2011 Packers). Ryan is in the top-5 for completion percent and his yards per attempt is more than a yard higher than the next closest QB. It's weird how under the radar the Falcon's offense has been this year.

Rodgers has been great to close the season but the season isn't only the last six games.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably because the Lions were missing 3 starters on their O-line. Not having Swanson at center forced the starting LG to move over. It was last minute that the RT Reiff was listed as inactive. So the normal starting LG, C and RT were out for this game. They also did not have Rid**** who has been Stafford's safety valve all year. That's not insignificant.

That being said, the Packers D did a fantastic job of exploiting that situation in the 2nd half. I'm honestly not sure why it took them so long to figure out how easy it would be to get pressure. No one could block and Stafford didn't have a shifty back to dump it to when he got hurried. The Lions leading at halftime was surprising to me, as was the final score. I really expected to get blown out.
With our corners should have had a 500 yard day.. Not sure why every pass went to the right.

Giants will be doing that

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because the credit in this case would be for Capers and too many people are convinced that he has no clue what he's doing so we need to start performing mental gymnastics to excuse any good defensive performance as being solely due to the alignment of the stars or a lack of sleep for the other team's offense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While I would love for Rodgers to win I think you have to give it to Ryan. Even when Julio Jones was out, the Falcons offense has been pretty terrific. More importantly, look at the Falcon's schedule, they played brutal pass defenses in the Broncos, Seahawks (when Thomas was healthy), Eagles, Chiefs and Cardinals and the Falcons offense still put up historically impressive numbers. I mean, the Falcons averaged 3.01 points per drive, since 1997 only TWO other teams have averaged better (2007 Pats and 2011 Packers). Ryan is in the top-5 for completion percent and his yards per attempt is more than a yard higher than the next closest QB. It's weird how under the radar the Falcon's offense has been this year.

Rodgers has been great to close the season but the season isn't only the last six games.
I'm one that thinks Rodgers played better than most are acknowledging in the 1st 10 games, but I certainly understand your point. Ryan has been the most consistent producer these season on a really good team.

His yards per attempt are higher than Rodgers' all time great season in 2011. He's got the advantage in a lot of statistical categories. But I think that the voters are looking at a pattern of behavior, I think that they are going to view what Rodgers pulled off and realize that it was a historically great accomplishment, when all of the factors are taken into consideration.

It's sad because if Matt Ryan were a Super Bowl Champion, Super Bowl MVP, and a two time league MVP, and Rodgers was the one that had none of that, Ryan would run away with it.

Like it or not, reputations and past accomplishments will be weighed heavily with many voters.

But I'm like you, it's tough to make a case against Ryan. He's been phenomenal. If I had a vote, I would be torn between these two quarterbacks, but at the end of the day, it's tough to argue that Ryan has the better supporting cast all around.

I wish that I could make a case that Ryan plays significantly better at home in the dome, but the numbers show that he's still great on the road this season.

It's tough.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not a reluctance, but Detroit's offense hasn't been as effective ever since Stafford dislocated his middle finger. Stafford managed more touchdowns against us than the previous 3 games combined. Has Matt Stafford improved over the course of his injury to the point where A) the finger doesn't bother him as much and B) that he's better able to compensate? Or is it just that the other defenses he played against were better?

I

It's not a reluctance, but Detroit's offense hasn't been as effective ever since Stafford dislocated his middle finger. Stafford managed more touchdowns against us than the previous 3 games combined.

Well I though we got in his face more, I guess we see it differently :tup:. I DO agree he wasn`t at his best because of his finger.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I though we got in his face more, I guess we see it differently :tup:. I DO agree he wasn`t at his best because of his finger.

Oh I do think that Nick Perry burying Stafford in the third quarter threw him off his game, but I need to see more before I'm willing to think all is well with this defense.

Members online

Latest posts