NFC North Preview

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many teams have been active this free agency season in the NFC North, the team that has made the most moves is the Chicago Bears. Since the lockout ended the Bears have signed Marion Barber, Roy Williams and Matt Spaeth. They also traded TE Greg Olsen to the Carolina Panthers for a draft pick in the 2012 Draft. But does that make the Bears contenders in the North this year? No.

As we all know the Packers will be defending their Super Bowl title starting Septemer 8th against the New Orleans Saints. This is just one of the many reasons I believe the Packers are the clear favorites to win the division. Not only do they return most of the key members of the Super Bowl squad, but they will also have JerMichael Finley and Ryan Grant back at full strength. What the Packers get back when these players return is substantial and makes the Packers seem virtually unstoppable. Finley, when healthy is arguably the best TE and hardest for defenders to guard. He has the body of a block TE but the hands of a top WR. How can any team, including the Eagles stop Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and JerMichael Finley all on the field at the same time? With Ryan Grant you get a pro bowl running back added to a super bowl team, how un-fair is that?

The Minnesota Vikings have been in the news almost as much as any other team, mainly because the situation they have at QB. First they draft Christian Ponder probably twenty five spots higher then expected, then they trade Tavaris Jackson to Seattle, then they trade for veteran Donovan McNabb. Donovan McNabb seems like a great fit to the Vikings, but that was untill star wide out Sidney Rice signed with the Seahawks. Now Percy Harvin is the No.1 wide reciever in Minny, and there is no legit No.2 behind him.

The Lions are a very interesting team not only in the North, but in the NFL this year. When Matthew Stafford is healthy he can be one of the top Qb's but we havent really seen a healthy Matthew Stafford. His main target is arguably the best wide out in the NFL in Calvin Johnson. Running backs include second year stud Jahvid best and 2nd rd pick Mikel LeShoure, from the University of Illinois. But where the Lions might be the most impressive is the defensive line. Another second year stud Ndamukong Suh and 1st rd pick this year Nick Fairley from Auburn. The Lions will now have one of the best defensive lines in tne NFL.

For me this is a really hard division to predict. I think the Packers are clear cut to win this division but here is how I think the NFC North will finish up.

1. Packers
2. Bears
3. Lions
4. Vikings

JimisPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the land of all you can wish for, minus the t
My concern with your analysis is that it doesn't account for the mindset/structure of the leadership for each team-
So in order of coaching/talent/chemistry

My guess is:

1.Packers (12-4)
2. Lions (9-7)
3. Bears (9-7)
4. Vikings (7-9)

1.I don't think I need to discuss the coaching/leadership/talent of The Packers. Returning coach, QB, staff, core players, etc. The only way I see us struggling to stay ahead in the division is if we fail to establish a respectable running game.

2. Lions are plucking all the right chickens, but their coaching staff needs to become better at adjusting in-game schemes. Too many close loses and missed opportunities. Lessons learned but growing pains will follow them for another year, and a solid LB or two can push them to consistency.

3. Bears will still have a solid defense, returning coaching staff, but the inability of Lovie to rotate his veterans throughout the game/season (lack of depth?) Bites him in the booty when the playoffs start- too many nagging injuries. Fatigue injuries perhaps, but with defensive stars and a risk taking QB they should stay above the hot water at the bottom of the division.

4. I hate to admit that I like any Viking player but Peterson is a hog. I like Percy and a few other no-namers but I don't see this team cohesive enough to put together 16 games of good football. New (old) leadership may amp up the players- but chemistry is built not signed to a contract, so the QB deal hinders the teams ability to have that chemistry from the start (and the lockout sure didn't help any team with a new coach or rookies or new QB).

W-L guesses came from pure intuition. No peaking at the schedule.... Remember always aim low so you won't be disappointed.

Love Jimi.

stevenest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are going crazy to win, but the Packers will again wreck havoc on them.

Members online

Latest posts