NFC North Preview from SI

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a not-so-in-depth look at the NFC North from the Sports Illustrated web site. The writer, Bucky Brooks, doesn't say a lot, but what he does say sounds pretty much on-target for each team. I do think the Lions' passing game is a bit overrated, though. They were playing catch-up in almost every game last season, plus Mike Martz emphasizes the pass at the expense of the run.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/07/10/tc.preview.nfc.north/index.html

Lynch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=left]I think he´s right about Rex Grossman, he is a problem for the Bears.
He was not specially good in the Superbowl[/align]

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no mention of Koren Robinson. Is he going to be in camp? Maybe, the Pack will cut ties, who knows?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no mention of Koren Robinson. Is he going to be in camp? Maybe, the Pack will cut ties, who knows?

Not eligible to come back until September 18, and that's only if he's reinstated. I think TT really likes K-Rob, so I doubt he'll cut ties with him unless the NFL forces his hand by extending the suspension. If he's reinstated he'll be with the Pack by the end of September.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:

Not eligible to come back until September 18, and that's only if he's reinstated. I think TT really likes K-Rob, so I doubt he'll cut ties with him unless the NFL forces his hand by extending the suspension. If he's reinstated he'll be with the Pack by the end of September.

Thank you, I had high hopes for him as a Viking. I hope he does well and can overcome any alcohol or drug demons that may be in him.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Challenge #3 = find a decent safety.

I agree. I'm disappointed more improvements weren't made in the safety area. I know we have Rouse, but I'm not sure how great he will his first year. I think that if we develop a strong safety duo, our defense will in fact be a top 5 defense.

Reaction score
I think it was an accurate summary, and a good read.

I take issue with one thing about the Packers though: I think 'Challenge #2' should have been "Finding a capable TE".

I don't think a 3rd WR problem is extremely pressing, as the Packers made due at the position with less bodies last year. Granted it is something that needs improvement, but not as much as the TE position.

We essentially got no production from the TE spot.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I take issue with one thing about the Packers though: I think 'Challenge #2' should have been "Finding a capable TE".

I don't think a 3rd WR problem is extremely pressing, as the Packers made due at the position with less bodies last year. Granted it is something that needs improvement, but not as much as the TE position.

I think in a way he is kind of saying that but has written off the TE position for us and saying we are forced to have a 3 and 4 WR sets... thus finding another WR to step up..

Challenge No. 2: Find a No. 3 receiver.

The Packers enter training camp desperately seeking to find a No. 3 receiver to join Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. Tight end Bubba Franks is no longer a factor in the middle of the field, so the Packers have relied more on three- and four-receiver sets to open up their offense. Their reliance on these spread sets makes finding the right guys in the slot a priority.

Robert Ferguson, Ruvell Martin and rookie James Jones are competing for playing time in the slot. Ferguson has the most experience, but has struggled with injuries throughout his career and has not played a complete season since 2002. Martin came on with a strong finish last season and showed that he is capable of being a legitimate player with a 100-yard receiving performance in the regular-season finale against Chicago. Jones has the physical tools to be dominant in the slot, but can't be counted on to be an immediate contributor as a rookie.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I think in a way he is kind of saying that but has written off the TE position for us and saying we are forced to have a 3 and 4 WR sets... thus finding another WR to step up..

Challenge No. 2: Find a No. 3 receiver.

The Packers enter training camp desperately seeking to find a No. 3 receiver to join Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. Tight end Bubba Franks is no longer a factor in the middle of the field, so the Packers have relied more on three- and four-receiver sets to open up their offense. Their reliance on these spread sets makes finding the right guys in the slot a priority.

Robert Ferguson, Ruvell Martin and rookie James Jones are competing for playing time in the slot. Ferguson has the most experience, but has struggled with injuries throughout his career and has not played a complete season since 2002. Martin came on with a strong finish last season and showed that he is capable of being a legitimate player with a 100-yard receiving performance in the regular-season finale against Chicago. Jones has the physical tools to be dominant in the slot, but can't be counted on to be an immediate contributor as a rookie.

That's a pretty good point. That second point could be written as find a tight end or a slot receiver. AADP though probably is right in that a good tight end would be better than a good third because our tight ends are crap and our third wide out is probably of higher quality.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Bubba can't be productive if he gets to run more routes. I would think it must be very difficult to just instantly switch from pass protecting to route running. he had to protect a LOT last season to help the o-line, and it seems clear to me that this fact was a major contributor to his sub-par season in regards to pass-catching. not even antonio gates can catch passes if he has to block 75% of the pass plays.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bozz- You're on the money. Most folks forget that our OL needed that extra guy to help out blocking throughout the season. That extra guy came by way of the TE position. How many plays did we see the TE in motion only to come back to block. The majority. Now that the OL is better than last year we'll see in the preseason if the TE's can be used to catch passes. They are our only 6'4"+ receivers we have!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I'm not convinced that Bubba can't be productive if he gets to run more routes. I would think it must be very difficult to just instantly switch from pass protecting to route running. he had to protect a LOT last season to help the o-line, and it seems clear to me that this fact was a major contributor to his sub-par season in regards to pass-catching. not even antonio gates can catch passes if he has to block 75% of the pass plays.

I'm with you. I don't think Bubba's faults were soley on him. I think it was largely in part because he wasn't included in the offense much at all. He was primarily an extra blocker.

I think Bubba was out of his 'grove' with all the blocking assignments he had to do.

I just can't imagine a guy who was once touted by Brett to have the best hands on the team to be such a ... butter fingers.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre actually said Franks had the best hands on the team at one point? Wow...don't recall that but it's interesting to say the least. Anyway, I think Bubba is now what he's always been...a possession TE. He never was a burner and isn't going to get many yards after the catch. I agree with the fact that his production (or lack thereof) isn't his fault alone. Having to stay in for pass protection due to an inexperienced O-line wasn't going to do him any favors. The line hopefully matured enough to allow him to get involved more and his production should climb to where it once was.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Favre actually said Franks had the best hands on the team at one point? Wow...don't recall that but it's interesting to say the least. Anyway, I think Bubba is now what he's always been...a possession TE. He never was a burner and isn't going to get many yards after the catch. I agree with the fact that his production (or lack thereof) isn't his fault alone. Having to stay in for pass protection due to an inexperienced O-line wasn't going to do him any favors. The line hopefully matured enough to allow him to get involved more and his production should climb to where it once was.

Yeah, it was his rookie or second year. Shocked the hell out of me. He wasn't saying he was the best receiver per se, but did say he had the best (or softest) hands on the team.

I believe it was in a Chris Havel article.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may have had to stay in a block a lot more but I still don't think that should be an excuse for when he is out pass catching. Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm thinking too much about that last Vikings game, but when Franks did go out as a receiver he was pathetic.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed...after that last Vikings game, I wouldn't have been shocked if Franks would have received a pink slip and shown the door. He was terrible that game.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre actually said Franks had the best hands on the team at one point? Wow...don't recall that but it's interesting to say the least.

Favre was just stating a fact. Up until last year, Bubba was extremely reliable catching the ball. Let's hope he returns to form. TE is the weakest position on the team right now.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Favre actually said Franks had the best hands on the team at one point? Wow...don't recall that but it's interesting to say the least.

Favre was just stating a fact. Up until last year, Bubba was extremely reliable catching the ball. Let's hope he returns to form. TE is the weakest position on the team right now.

Don't recall saying that it wasn't a fact...just that I don't recall Favre stating that in the media. Hell, I never called ******** on him saying it. I just don't remember that being out there. If you want to know, I don't buy it as a fact since Franks has never had the best hands on the team since he's been a Packer but it's my opinion and nothing more... :packbeer: :beersign:

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
NDPackerFan said:

Don't recall saying that it wasn't a fact...just that I don't recall Favre stating that in the media. Hell, I never called ******** on him saying it. I just don't remember that being out there. If you want to know, I don't buy it as a fact since Franks has never had the best hands on the team since he's been a Packer but it's my opinion and nothing more... :packbeer: :beersign:

I guess I overstated a bit. There really isn't any absolute way to determine who has the best hands. But I would say that Bubba was definitely in the mix for that honor every year he's been with the team up until 2006. Then the bottom dropped out. I agree with the others that his pass-catching ability suffered because he didn't have many balls thrown his way. He probably got too impatient, trying to make the most of his few opportunities, and it messed with his concentration.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

I'm with you. I don't think Bubba's faults were soley on him. I think it was largely in part because he wasn't included in the offense much at all. He was primarily an extra blocker.

I think Bubba was out of his 'grove' with all the blocking assignments he had to do.
Out of his 'grove?' Is that an Orange Grove?
I think you mean "GROOVE?"
(I'm just giving you crap cuz you attacked my "trailer" post!)LOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

Members online

Latest posts