Next years quality

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just a type of breakdown of our probable starters coming back next year.

Championship players- play at a consistently high level and are keys to a championship

Favre
Henderson
Green - if healthy
Clifton
Tausher
Driver
Walker - if healthy
-
Jackson
Harris
-

Longwell

Winning players - players that play solid win most battles

Franks
Flanigan
-
Kampman
KGB
Barnett
Collins

Adequate - 50/50

Cole/Jenkins
Thomas
Diggs/Lennon
Carroll

Liability

Guard
Guard
Roman
-
Sander

Any thoughts? JMHO

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I've been thinking for awhile now based on his comments that William Henderson won't be back. Tim or Chris on his show would say next year in gb and william corrects an says or wherever im playing.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only may Henderson not be back but also you could say the same for Favre, Walker and Green.
This is not a team that is one player away from the playoffs. They have many voids to fill and it might get even worse during the off-season. The Packers had a successful run for the last 10 years but it is over and it was last year that was the anomaly and not this one. The slide started when they lost the Eagles in the playoffs. Getting on a streak at the end of last season was just prolonging the inevitable.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's obvious that if Brett, Henderson, Walker, and Green don't come back the Pack will be in a fullfledged rebuiling mode. However, if they all come back healthy, which is just as likely, the offense will be one of the top in the league again. The draft and free agency should help fill some spots this off season. Based on what Bates has done this year a couple of key additions to the defense and it could be a top 10 defense. Also as the offensive players come back it takes pressure off the defense.
Oh, and we need a coach that motvates player to execute.

GB's strength is offense and the Bears is defense. Take 2 of your best defensive players and they're out for the year. Others are injured for most of the games off and on and I think they would be fighting with the Pack for the cellar. Your offense surely would not carry them. I will say that you are only one player away-QB assuming the injury bug doesn't bite.

What I'm saying is I don't think it's as bleak as you make it for us, especially if we draft well.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
It's obvious that if Brett, Henderson, Walker, and Green don't come back the Pack will be in a fullfledged rebuiling mode. However, if they all come back healthy, which is just as likely, the offense will be one of the top in the league again. The draft and free agency should help fill some spots this off season. Based on what Bates has done this year a couple of key additions to the defense and it could be a top 10 defense. Also as the offensive players come back it takes pressure off the defense.

GB's strength is offense and the Bears is defense. Take 2 of your best defensive players and they're out for the year. Others are injured for most of the games off and on and I think they would be fighting with the Pack for the cellar. Your offense surely would not carry them. I will say that you are only one player away-QB assuming the injury bug doesn't bite.

What I'm saying is I don't think it's as bleak as you make it for us, especially if we draft well.

What I am saying is that this is a pivotal off-season for the Packers. They can make the right moves and regain respectability or they can slip up and it is cellar dweller city. If they go out and over spend on one or two players under the notion that they are close then they will blow the one good thing that they have waiting for them in the off-season. The salary cap. I am not saying that all is lost with the Packers but they had better make some very good choices or.........

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Phitration is right. Almost all Packers can be upgraded. We have 2 of Ron Wolf draft picks unsigned for next year. Henderson and Flanagan. Flanagan had one of his worst years. 6 of 8 current Ron Wolf picks are signed for 2006.

from 2001 draft only Martin is signed for next year and I want him gone.
from 2002 Walker is a restricted free agent, Kampmann and Davenport are unsigned. Davenport is not as valuable as Gado.
from 2003 only Barnett and Peterson remain of the 11 picks.
from 2004 Carroll, Sander, Williams, Wells and noncontributor Washington.

9 or maybe 10 players out of 4 drafts. There should be al least twice as many !! Where did they go? Trading up for Walker, Kenny Peterson, James Lee, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Donnell Washington, B.J. Sander, Corey Williamson. Some were traded for traded for Terry Glenn, Rod Walker, Chris Johnson.

from 2005 10 of 11 return but some may not make it with Murphy's career threatening spinal injury and Popinga to miss training camp and likely begin season on the PUP list.

The Wolf guys are aging and need to be replaced. The Sherman guys are low quality needing to be replaced. The Thompson guys are young and generally inexperienced. It can't be done with just 5 or 6 picks. Trading down gets you more picks but the guys take longer to develop.

Ted will have to trade what he can, sign the free agents that are worth and make virtually no mistakes. He had no money in 05 and got Gado, Manning and Donald Lee for nothing. He may have to over pay some guys to get them to Green Bay. I think only 3 guys on offense and 2 on defense are not expendable in trades.

Remember Ted Thompson in your prayers.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Hunter Hillenmeyer go was a big mistake. The guy can play his *** of but gets over looked because of Urlacher and Briggs.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm new to the site but have been a Packer fan forever. I live on the Gulf Coast now but grew up in Wiscy. My father was the head coach at UW-Whitewater for 29 years and my uncle Butch(Don) played for the Pack in the Hudson era for Curley. So yes I AM a Packer fan.
I believe as well that with a few good moves we can make some noise next year. Our biggest downfall this year IMO directly results from being in a position not to sign at least one if not both guards. EVERY good team has a good "O" line and we had one of the best and let it get away from us. How the money was mishandled to let this happen is beyond me. Having said that we will have the money to do something about it this year and I think we need to go into free agency and get a high quality quard(I would love to see them get Hutchinson from Seattle) that will have a great impact next year. I read something about this Coston kid that the coaches say has all it takes but coming from a small school he needed this year to adjust. It would be super if he does turn out to be a player.
As far as the draft goes I see where some project A.J. Hawk from Ohio St. and I think he would absolutely excel in Bates' scheme with his speed and instincts. They label him an "immediate impact" player. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them get the kid from Iowa at linebacker next as he's nearly as quick as Hawk and a real player. My thinking here is that Bates' system needs these athletes at linebacker and it would be fun to see what he could do with three guys(including Barnett) that can fly around and stay with RB's and TE's in coverage.
Right or wrong that's the way I see it. If Favre stays or not or we get a super running back won't matter much to the bottom line if we don't get some guys in there that can block. BUT if we DO get the quality guards and some quality help for Bates those Bears fans won't be smiling long.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent post warhawk. I Think we'll keep ya. I don't think the Pack will spend the money it takes to land Hutchinson. Larry Beightol has done wonders in the past building an offensive line but it just doesn't happen in one year when you lose both guards and your center is coming off an injury. I think they will play much better next season but we certainly could use an upgrade there. I'm not sure Flannigan will ever come back to his former capabilities.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
PackerTraxx said:

What I am saying is that this is a pivotal off-season for the Packers. They can make the right moves and regain respectability or they can slip up and it is cellar dweller city. If they go out and over spend on one or two players under the notion that they are close then they will blow the one good thing that they have waiting for them in the off-season. The salary cap. I am not saying that all is lost with the Packers but they had better make some very good choices or.........

I think we are saying the same thing. Any way I agree.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts