Next up LIONS! Here kitty kitty.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I am expecting Dom to provide steak and lobster, hope he doesn’t suprise us with another giant turd sandwich.

So Mike you going to open the playbook a bit more for Hundley? Redesigned some stuff just for him? Will the offense not lay a turd outside of Arron Jones?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Absolutely no excuses in this game. Two weeks to prepare for a division rival. At home.

This is a game that, if we really have the talent and coaching many claim, we should win.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely no excuses in this game. Two weeks to prepare for a division rival. At home.

This is a game that, if we really have the talent and coaching many claim, we should win.

Man, I'd sure like to know who claimed that haha. I believe the Packers DO have enough talent to be a 10-6 team..even without Rodgers. HOWEVER the sad part is..I don't believe they have the coaching staff or management to be 10-6 without Rodgers. That's why they will miss the playoffs.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hundley can start stepping up in the pocket and hitting wide open WRs down the middle they could be in decent shape. He is too green right now to do it from what I have seen so far.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Through the last 2 games neither the players nor the coaches, on either side of the ball, have given us any reason to believe we can win this game nor any game for that matter. Hopefully they figured some things out during the bye week and we will see a whole different team from the past 2 weeks as that is the only chance we have to win.

H

HardRightEdge

Anybody watch the Steelers vs. Lions game? It was actually a pretty decent game.

Stafford was well protected and exceptionally sharp against a purportedly top drawer pass defense, but their run game is pretty dreadful being a key factor in going 0-5 in the red zone including two 4th. down stops and 3 FGs. At one point late in the broadcast it was noted Detroit's 400+ passing yards was the 3rd. highest total in NFL history where the team did not score a TD.

Detroit's pass defense is pretty sketchy. They didn't mount much of a pass rush and Roethlisberger's numbers could have been much higher had he not misfired on several occasions to open receivers.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think the Packer won't be able to stop Detroit from getting into the end zone. And I don't think Hundley will be able to go toe to toe with Stafford. I expect a Lions victory. After which many more Packer fans will be calling for Dom Capers to be fired.

FWIW. McCarthy has coached exactly 11 games without a Hall of Fame QB starting for him. In those games he is 3-7-1. I wonder if he can actually coach a lower caliber QB?

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers: Healthy offensive line finally looks to be in place after bye

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_6c2305dd-87db-5adf-8279-bbbb52cdf2ef.html
  • Packers will have their preferred starting five — David Bakhtiari at left tackle, Lane Taylor at left guard, Corey Linsley at center, Jahri Evans at right guard and Bryan Bulaga at right tackle — for their Nov. 6 Monday Night Football game against the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field.
  • Top three receivers — Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams — are each healthy and in form.
  • Ty should be in better condition and Jones is blazing his own trail.
Very optimistic for Hundley. He can get better run blocking to open holes for either himself of Jones to run, which in turn should help defensive backs.

The big question for me is Bennett or Richard Rodgers? Bennett is a better blocker and Rodgers is a better catcher, so who should get primary snap time?

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers will have their preferred starting five — David Bakhtiari at left tackle, Lane Taylor at left guard, Corey Linsley at center, Jahri Evans at right guard and Bryan Bulaga at right tackle — for their Nov. 6 Monday Night Football game against the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field.
Are they going to be wrapped in bubble wrap this week during practice? Maybe red jerseys?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
35-20 Lions. As long as Capers is here and Aaron Rodgers isn't?? I'm not picking us to win anymore games this season. So many 3 and outs by the offense mixed with this defense doesn't bode well for this football team. With #12 we could sustain drives and get points. Now not so much.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers: Healthy offensive line finally looks to be in place after bye

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_6c2305dd-87db-5adf-8279-bbbb52cdf2ef.html
  • Packers will have their preferred starting five — David Bakhtiari at left tackle, Lane Taylor at left guard, Corey Linsley at center, Jahri Evans at right guard and Bryan Bulaga at right tackle — for their Nov. 6 Monday Night Football game against the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field.
  • Top three receivers — Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams — are each healthy and in form.
  • Ty should be in better condition and Jones is blazing his own trail.
Very optimistic for Hundley. He can get better run blocking to open holes for either himself of Jones to run, which in turn should help defensive backs.

The big question for me is Bennett or Richard Rodgers? Bennett is a better blocker and Rodgers is a better catcher, so who should get primary snap time?
Kendricks

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packer won't be able to stop Detroit from getting into the end zone. And I don't think Hundley will be able to go toe to toe with Stafford. I expect a Lions victory. After which many more Packer fans will be calling for Dom Capers to be fired.

FWIW. McCarthy has coached exactly 11 games without a Hall of Fame QB starting for him. In those games he is 3-7-1. I wonder if he can actually coach a lower caliber QB?
Wait.
It takes a loss to call for Capers to be fired?
That is news to me!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The win loss record without one should tell you that NO, he can't. I'd be a little more forgiving if they were situations where he had rookies in there or free agents. But no, these are and were guys who have been here in MM's system for at least 2-3 yrs. the fact that Hundley looks as bad as he does on most of his throws and reads just confirms what I've always said about MM. how many coaches can say they coached two 1st ballot hall of fame QBs back to back?? Haha 1 SB appearance?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think this game will come down to our O Line and TE controlling the trenches and being able to convert 1st downs. Winning the game clock with sustained drives (on Offense that is ;)) and relying on our veteran K when needed is paramount.
We need to start seeing better execution on the O side and go 1-1 the next 2 weeks. This game is huge because it could put us at 5-3 and give this Offense much needed time to gel and the team and fans in general a huge moral boost.
I’d take 1-1 during the next 2 weeks though and that goes for my Astros also :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

The win loss record without one should tell you that NO, he can't. I'd be a little more forgiving if they were situations where he had rookies in there or free agents. But no, these are and we're guys who have been here on MM system for at least 2-3 yrs. the fact that Hundley looks as bad as he does on most of his throws and reads just confirms what I've always said about MM. how many coaches can say they coached two 1st ballot hall of fame QBs back to back?? Haha 1 SB appearance?
As a QB coach and OC McCarthy got a lot out of Grbac, Bono and Brooks where he built a reputation as a developer of QBs. On the other hand, he lobbied for Smith over Rodgers when at SF. To what degree Rodgers is just Rodgers vs. McCarthy's contribution to his development is an open question. To his credit, he did not try to make Rodgers something he isn't. Some coaches would seek to stifle the slipping, sliding, bailing and playground tendencies in dictating a stand-in-and-throw approach.

The early successes are nearly two decades in the rear view mirror. A couple of things have happened since. As head coach he has a whole lot of other concerns than developing a second string QB. The limited off season work dictated by the 2011 CBA put an end to the so-called QB camp.

In the game today, there is so little contact practice from OTA through training camp, it's a flag football exercise playing against the same guys day after day working under the same scheme. In preseason, the work is against second and third stringers. During the regular season there is no time to work on second string QB development where his job is to try to simulate the opponents as the scout team QB. And last but not least, QBs coming out now are almost all spread option players who need to be retooled with high bust potential. One of the top QBs out of the last draft, I forget which one, said he had never taken a snap from over center going all the way back to high school. The masters program in NFL quarterbacking takes place in weekly prep for the next opponent and then taking it onto the field in money games. There's no way around it.

There are a couple of options here.

Make Hundley work within the system, where the default is to stand in the pocket and work through progressions. While that would benefit him for the long run, I don't think that's the way to win games this season. One comparison that Hundley draws is to Tyrod Taylor. In his first season as a starter in Buffalo, Taylor had decent success getting out of the pocket and using his legs. This season he's standing in and throwing in tight pockets. His pocket presence is much improved in his 3rd. year as a starter, 7th. year in the league. We could say the same with Wilson, where Seattle has used a lot of option and roll out stuff from the get go, gradually reducing it over the years.

I think if this team wants to win some games this season they are going to have to tailor their passing game to the player they have now, not the one he might be someday. Asking Hundley to stand in to 2.5 seconds in the notoriously tight Packer pocket with all those short pistol drops and read through 3 progressions is not a winning strategy. Give him timing passes and combo routes where the decision making is kept to a minimum. And when you want to take a shot then do it on short yardage and buy some time with play action. And what ever happened to the vaunted Packer screen game? The execution on these plays has been dismal in recent years. There are running backs now who are suited to it. Can we practice that, please? Last but not least, there should be a fair amount of roll outs or moving pockets to get Hundley in space and let him use his legs as a second option.

I'd say lets put in some spread option plays, something nobody has ever seen this team run on tape, except I'm not sure McCarthy or anybody else on this staff would know how to coach it, especially on short notice.

And somebody please tell Hundley to rip the ball on outs to the long side of the field. I suspect he's not confident in the hook up and wants to put some slack into it for the receiver to adjust. Every time he throws one of those floaters my first thought is "no pick 6, please".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A

And somebody please tell Hundley to rip the ball on outs to the long side of the field. I suspect he's not confident in the hook up and wants to put some slack into it for the receiver to adjust. Every time he throws one of those floaters my first thought is "no pick 6, please".
I just wanted to reiterate that point, as I think it in my head everytime.

Reaction score
The QB position is so reliant on timing and route execution. I’m not too concerned about the first game or two Hundley played because there is so many mental changes going on still as the QB becomes acclimated and I think coach is still protecting Brett and probably that’s a good idea initially.
The next 2 games we should start seeing better timing, plays tailored to the style of this QB and a little widening of the playbook.
Essentially, the training wheels need to come off this week. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts