Next Defensive Coordinator

D

Deleted member 6794

Pat Narduzzi current Pitt HC and former Michigan state DC. He runs a 4-3 over defense that is very solid.

I would prefer the Packers to continue to run a 3-4 defense as it would most likely take even longer to rebuild that side of the ball by changing the scheme.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Packers have been running a ton of 4-3 looks this year already. May need to acquire a couple more DL and shed some dead weight at LB but that's about it. Minimal impact in personal.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers have been running a ton of 4-3 looks this year already. May need to aquire a couple more DL and shed some dead weight at LB but that's about it. Minimal impact in personal.

I believe the Packers would have to make several moves to successfully change to a 4-3 scheme as the team lacks defensive linemen capable of effectively rushing the passer as well as linebackers who would be a decent fit in that formation. That might take more than a single offseason to achieve.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't want Favre to coach the Packers' offense.
I would have also put an agree on this post... but the idea of Brett coaching the offense seems ridiculously funny to me. And that comes from somebody that was a huge Favre fan. But offensive coordinator? lmao.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dave Aranda is currently LSU's defensive coordinator. He previously held that position with the Badgers from 2013-15.
And he has produced great defenses everywhere he has been including might Utah State before the badgers. At Wisconsin I believe all of his defenses were top 5 in the nation.

To be honest I am pretty surprised that an nfl team has not come knocking. I would be shocked if someone does not tap him for a nfl dc position after this season.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really would prefer to stick with a 3-4. We're pretty well geared up for such a scheme. If we MUST run a 4-3, we want to run a 4-3 UNDER, not over. 4-3 under is basically a 3-4/4-3 hybrid and more of our guys would just be drop-in replacements.

At the end of the day, I don't a wholesale scheme change is necessary. Our front 7 is pretty good a stopping the run this year. That won't change much unless we went to a pure 2-gapping scheme, which would be a mistake. The glaring problems are pass rush and cornerback.

You can run just about any coverage with any base scheme, so 4-3 vs 3-4 doesn't matter without better corners.

Ditto pass rush. We just don't have a really special edge rusher anymore. Perry is pretty good, Matthews on the downslope and approaching "above average." With no one demanding a double team at least "most of the time," opposing offenses just double the most appropriate per alignment and playcall, with the assumption that the other guys can handle the other rushers one on one.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre, woodson, al Harris, greene? Apparently some people believe coaching is really easy.

Rod Woodson and Al Harris are already coaching in the league, just not as Defensive Coordinators....

Obviously as a HOF Woodson is more than likely working his way up to that role and Al Harris has been apart of 4 Top 10(2 Top 5) Defensive Units since 2013 ....and since both played in the secondary, some additional expertise in that area is going to be useful. They can probably scheme better to cover up a secondary's weakness than say a DC with a different background.

no Chilly - he is a stiff!

Chilly coaches monster defenses. It's because of Chilly that we ultimately have the current situation we're in in the first place.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre, woodson, al Harris, greene? Apparently some people believe coaching is really easy.

Rex Ryan does well early, he is a motivator for sure, but doesn' seem to develop any talent.

Mike Nolan and McAdoo are about the only ones mentioned who would be a good idea, but not sure who Aranda is.

Dave Aranda was the Badgers DC and now works for LSU, he runs a crazy innovative 34 but IMO like Dom he might be too clever for his own good.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Leavitt.

He's the current DC of Oregon.

He has always had good defenses, has NFL coaching experience, and plays fast, disciplined defense.

It's tough to take a college DC and make him an NFL DC. I would prefer somebody with NFL coaching experience.

Todd Bowles would be nice if he gets fired.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If John Fox gets fired my first choice would be Vic Fangio. Although I think the Packers need to scrap the 3-4, the personnel on the roster at least at LB is set up to run a 3-4. He consistently had great defenses in San Fran when he had good players.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If John Fox gets fired my first choice would be Vic Fangio. Although I think the Packers need to scrap the 3-4, the personnel on the roster at least at LB is set up to run a 3-4. He consistently had great defenses in San Fran when he had good players.

3-4, 4-3, it doesn't matter.

Basically nobody plays the majority of their defense in their base. I think Jake Ryan played ~20 snaps, so we were in our base 1/4-1/3 of the time.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he's a big mouth. But I think Rex Ryan is one of those who suck as a head coach. But is a great D coordinator.

Just like Jim Schwartz. Look at what he has done in Philly

I think Rex would be a great fit in Green Bay as the coordinator but unless ESPN fires him he's not moving his fat but anywhere.

Members online

Latest posts