New Scenario Evolves

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, if we're tied with the Giants we will NOT get in. I forget the exact reason, but the tie breaker goes to strength of victory, which we would not win. The easiest possible scenario: Packers win, Giants Lose, Rams lose.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Wait, there are TWO playoff spots open? :shock:

This changes everything then.....

I didn't know you were assuming or asking about just one spot.

From the rules, I think we have the edge on the Giants too.

This is how we beat the Giants in a tie breaker.
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). - didnt
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.

Reaction score

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). - didnt
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.

Ok looking at the standings, the Eagles have the #5 playoff spot at 8-6. If they lose out, they'll be 8-8, and it is possible there will be 2 final spots open before it is said and done.....

Things could get VERY interesting....

OP
OP
Title Town USA

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So can someone lay out the scenario in a simple, easy to read form.

Like--> The Packers can get in the playoffs....

1) with a ______ loss
2) a _____win
3) Brett Favre throwing TD #421

PLEASE?
Here's what has to happen for the packers to make the playoffs:
1)Giants lose
2)Rams lose OR Panthers win OR Falcons win

*only one thing from number 2 has to happen*

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-

5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.

your looking at the tiebreaker for a divison not a wild card spot

WC is:

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

I find it funny they have coin toss as the last resort

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why do yu say that? Do you think the Giants have no chance of losing??

The Giants are better than the Rams, although they've been self destructing as of late. The Redskins don't have what it takes to beat the Gitants.

Can both Wild Card teams come from within the same division?

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
Zero2Cool said:
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
Sorry if this was ever said but correct me if I'm wrong.

Washington Beats N.Y. Giants
Minnesota Beats St. Louis
Green Bay Beats Chicago

If that happens, then the Packers are in the playoffs because they would hold the tie breaker over the Falcons regardless if they win or not.

This is assuming that the Seahawks win the NFC West.

That is correct. We got tie-breakers over everyone if we win vs Bears Sunday.

edit, not EVERYONE, but everyone we need to, to get in.

Er I'm confused...... if the Packers/Giants/Rams are in a 3 way tie at 8-8 do the Packers get in?

Three way tie, yes. We have better NFC record than the Rams and are tied with Giants.

So how would we hold the tiebreaker over the Giants?

Three way tie with Rams/Giants/Packers.

Head to Head.
Packers lost to Rams, Rams edge.
Giants and Packers didnt paly head to head.
Giants divisional record is less than the Packers, Edge Packers.

Packers and Rams would be the two wild card teams.

Atleast from how I'm reading the rules

Incorrect. You're forgetting about the Eagles who will most likely get the #5 spot. Then it would be between all the other teams for the final spot. We absolutely need the Giants to lose. Also, if there is a two-way tie between us and the Rams, we lose out due to their head-to-head victory.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Incorrect. You're forgetting about the Eagles who will most likely get the #5 spot. Then it would be between all the other teams for the final spot. We absolutely need the Giants to lose. Also, if there is a two-way tie between us and the Rams, we lose out due to their head-to-head victory.

That wasn't stated in the post that question was asked. And this has already been resolved as I was referring to the wrong set of rules.

Thanks for saying I was 'incorrect' as if I didn't know already!!!!

Also, if there is a two-way tie between us and the Rams, we lose out due to their head-to-head victory.
Yeah, I said that as well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
long article on jsonline..it details EVERYTHING....

The Vikings, it turns out, could hold the Packers' playoff hopes in their hands.

Provided the Packers beat the Chicago Bears on Sunday at Soldier Field and finish the regular season at 8-8, they'll need some help to earn the sixth and final playoff berth in the NFC.

It's not the only help they'll need, but if the 6-9 Vikings don't beat the 7-8 St. Louis Rams Saturday at the Metrodome, the Packers' chances of making the playoffs will be pretty slim.

The Packers remained in the hunt for another week after the New Orleans Saints beat the New York Giants, 30-7, Sunday at the Meadowlands. Had the Giants defeated the Saints, the Packers would have been eliminated thanks to their unfavorable position with regard to tie-breakers.

If the playoffs began today, the Philadelphia Eagles and Giants would be the two wild-card teams. But if the Giants and Rams both lose next weekend, and the Packers win, the Packers are in.

With two games tonight and a full-slate next weekend, the Packers are alive along with the NFC's four other 7-8 teams: New York, Atlanta, Carolina and St. Louis. Ahead of them is 8-6 Philadelphia, which plays tonight at Dallas and is positioned well to qualify for the playoffs either as the top wild-card or the NFC East champion.

Only two teams, the Bears (13-2) and the Saints (10-5), have clinched division titles in the NFC. The Bears have clinched home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and the Saints are still alive for a first-round bye.

The Packers finish the season against a Bears team that played its starters most of the game Sunday in a 26-21 victory at Detroit, but might choose to rest them a half or more against the Packers. Regardless, the Packers will have to be sharp to beat a team that trounced them, 26-0, in opening week at Lambeau Field.

If the Packers win, then their playoff destiny will probably be determined through a tie-breaker. Here's a look at where they stand in relation to ties with one or more teams:

Two-team tie-breaker: To make the playoffs, the Packers can't finish in a tie with Philadelphia (8-6) or St. Louis (7-8). Both of those teams beat them head-to-head and would win out based on that tie-breaker.

The Packers would win tie-breakers with Carolina and Atlanta based on a better conference record.

The Vikings can do the Packers a big favor by beating the Rams, who are Green Bay's major competition for the last wild-card spot. A loss would eliminate the Rams based on overall record and free the Packers of a team that could beat them out in both two-team and multiple-team ties.

It would be in the Packers' best interests not to finish in a tie with the Giants because it would take a series of fortuitous outcomes the final weekend for them to win a tie-breaker. Because the two teams have not played head-to-head, would have the same conference records (7-5) and would have the same record against common opponents (1-4), it would come down to strength of victory (the combined record of the opponents a team has beaten).

New York has a considerable lead in that department but a victory over the Bears would greatly enhance Green Bay's numbers. There are a few scenarios in which Green Bay can overcome the Giants, but it will take some luck.

Basically, the Packers will be cheering for the Miami Dolphins to win tonight against the New York Jets and Sunday against Indianapolis. Then if the Giants beat Washington, the Packers would also want Detroit to beat Dallas, Seattle to beat Tampa Bay, Cleveland to beat Houston, Carolina to beat New Orleans, San Francisco to beat Denver and, of course, the Vikings to beat the Rams.

The Packers wouldn't necessarily need all those outcomes to occur, but a good number of them would be necessary in overcoming their deficit in strength of victory.

Three-way tie: The Packers can actually overcome a head-to-head deficit with St. Louis this way.

If the Packers tied with the Rams and Atlanta or Carolina they would win a tie-breaker based on a superior conference record over the other two. Were they to tie with the Giants and any of the other three teams, they would wind up in the strength of victory tie-breaker with New York for the final spot.

The others would be eliminated because the Packers and Giants have a superior conference record at 7-5.

Members online

Latest posts