New Scenario Evolves

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a new possibilty for the packers to make the playoffs. If the 49ers win this week against the cardinals, (currently losing 17-3 however) and the seahawks win either this week or next against Tampa Bay to clinch the division, then next week if the rams won, not all hope would be lost. If the 49ers won again next week, and tied with the rams at 8-8, green bay would get in with a 3 or more team tie of green bay, rams, and 49ers and others. The tiebreaker for 3 or more wild card teams states the first step is to eliminate all but the highest ranked teams in each division, which means the rams are eliminated because the 49ers split the season series with them but have a better division record. That leaves Green Bay, 49ers, possibly Panthers, Falcons, and others, but Green Bay has tiebreaker over all of them because of conference record. (and they beat SF)

However, it will probably mean nothing because the 49ers are getting kicked around right now by the cardinals.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With both the Giants and Atlanta losing today, things should be looking better, no ?

Any way you look at it, things are better. If the Giants had won, we would be done. If Atlanta had won, we'd be close to done.

The Pack has been such a longshot, just getting out of this week still in the playoff picture is a major step.

A Rams loss would have made it just a little bit closer... and teeny bit less compicated. ;)

-
(edited to say 'Rams loss')

OP
OP
Title Town USA

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only the 49ers, but also if Carolina or Atlanta were to win next week.
yep, i can't believe i forgot about that! So, besides a packers win, we need:
1)Giants loss
2)Rams loss OR Panthers win OR Falcons WIN OR (49ers win-maybe if they win today)

Things are looking a whole lot better-that will suck for the rams to have beaten us but lose out because of the 3-way tiebreakers which we own because of our 7-5 conf record. :jumpsmile:

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that will suck for the rams to have beaten us but lose out because of the 3-way tiebreakers which we own because of our 7-5 conf record. :jumpsmile:

I agree. And wouldn't that be great. We should have beaten them, and today the skins should have beaten them. I think a part of me is still smarting from that playoff loss to them a couple of years ago. I'd love to see them get 'jobbed' by the tiebreaker scenario... :)

Still have a ways to go, though.. Bring on the Bears!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact remains that we still have to beat the Bears and frankly I don't see that happening. I really WANT it to happen and sadly I think our best chance to beat them is because of the fact we play better on the road, but Lovie is hellbent on owning the Packers.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact remains that we still have to beat the Bears and frankly I don't see that happening. I really WANT it to happen and sadly I think our best chance to beat them is because of the fact we play better on the road, but Lovie is hellbent on owning the Packers.

Lovie has his hands full. He is being abused my the Chicago and national media over the Grossman situation. Chicago may be 13-2 but they are probably the worst 13-2 team in NFL history. Their defense is suddenly playing average football. (Gave up 31 to Tampa Bay and 20 to Detroit). Not to mention, they've got home-field advantage. We've got everything to play for. I expect us to play well and get the W.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can't argue. The fact that we barely squeaked past the Vikings at home, against a rookie, does not bode well.

I think frankly that it will be a defensive battle, both offenses are going to get brutalized. The key will be who can force the most mistakes, the most turnovers. I think Grossman folds against tough defenses, and the Packers D is playing much stronger than they were in week 1 (understatement of course). Problem is, the Bears D is just plain scary.

If all things are equal, our crappy special teams might be our undoing. But I remain optimistic. Just like in college ball, rivalry games bring a new dynamic and everything you think should happen goes out the window!! :)

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

I can't argue. The fact that we barely squeaked past the Vikings at home, against a rookie, does not bode well.

I think frankly that it will be a defensive battle, both offenses are going to get brutalized. The key will be who can force the most mistakes, the most turnovers. I think Grossman folds against tough defenses, and the Packers D is playing much stronger than they were in week 1 (understatement of course). Problem is, the Bears D is just plain scary.

If all things are equal, our crappy special teams might be our undoing. But I remain optimistic. Just like in college ball, rivalry games bring a new dynamic and everything you think should happen goes out the window!! :)

All good points on your part. Probably will be a defensive battle to the tune of a 20-13 type of game. Grossman and Favre can both be turnover prone and their secondary is the weakest part of their D(kind of like ours except their front 7 is better). I have to wonder how much starting Cullen Jenkins will have an impact on the game. We are certainly a better team than week 1.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canadian packer said:
This only works if the seahawks win today or next week too.... the Seahawks are losing 7-0

yeah. I don't see them beating the Chargers. They should beat Tampa Bay next week without a lot of trouble.

EDIT: If San Francisco loses to Arizona, then Seattle wins the division. We wouldn't have to worry about them if this were the case.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if this was ever said but correct me if I'm wrong.

Washington Beats N.Y. Giants
Minnesota Beats St. Louis
Green Bay Beats Chicago

If that happens, then the Packers are in the playoffs because they would hold the tie breaker over the Falcons regardless if they win or not.

This is assuming that the Seahawks win the NFC West.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Porky, does it also work with the 49ers winning? What about the Panthers, they'd be 8-8 too....?

I'm so lost.

Green Bay holds an advantage with a better conference record over Carolina, and Atlanta (6-5 to Panthers' 5-6, and Falcons 5-6, and 49ers 5-6).

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Green Bay Beats Chicago

If that happens, then the Packers are in the playoffs because they would hold the tie breaker over the Falcons regardless if they win or not.

That is correct. We got tie-breakers over everyone if we win vs Bears Sunday.

edit, not EVERYONE, but everyone we need to, to get in.

Reaction score
porky88 said:

Green Bay Beats Chicago

Er I'm confused...... if the Packers/Giants/Rams are in a 3 way tie at 8-8 do the Packers get in?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Green Bay Beats Chicago

Er I'm confused...... if the Packers/Giants/Rams are in a 3 way tie at 8-8 do the Packers get in?

Three way tie, yes. We have better NFC record than the Rams and are tied with Giants.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

Green Bay Beats Chicago

Three way tie, yes. We have better NFC record than the Rams and are tied with Giants.

So how would we hold the tiebreaker over the Giants?

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears also got Tampa Bay out of NFC South and we got Saints - just goes to show that it's rudiculous to look at a draw at the start of the season and call any games a "gimme". No such thing in NFL.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So can someone lay out the scenario in a simple, easy to read form.

Like--> The Packers can get in the playoffs....

1) with a ______ loss
2) a _____win
3) Brett Favre throwing TD #421

PLEASE?

Reaction score
From what I understand Favreforever, Packers get into the playoffs with:

1. A Packers win over the Bears.
2. A Giants loss to the Redskins.

As long as these two things happen, the Packers will have a great shot to get in.

Now it gets a bit complicated:

- If the Rams beat the Vikes, then there will be a 3 way tie between the Packers/Giants/Rams for the last playoff spot. The Packers have the tie-breaker (apparently, not 100% sure yet though) and get in.

- If the 49ers win this week AND next week, then we will be tied with the 49ers and Giants. We get in this way also. IF the Rams win next week in this scenario, then there is a 4 way tie for the last spot. Packers still win the tie breaker.

- If the Falcons/Panters win next week, and there is a tie between them, the Giants, Packers, whoever else then the Packers still get in (as far as posters on these boards are saying - and they are smart, so there is merit in their words).

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

Green Bay Beats Chicago

So how would we hold the tiebreaker over the Giants?

Three way tie with Rams/Giants/Packers.

Head to Head.
Packers lost to Rams, Rams edge.
Giants and Packers didnt paly head to head.
Giants divisional record is less than the Packers, Edge Packers.

Packers and Rams would be the two wild card teams.

Atleast from how I'm reading the rules

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts