New Packers Hire

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have hired former Sooner co-defensive coordinator Jerry Montgomery to their staff. He had held that position for all of five weeks. The 35 year old had became Oklahoma's best recruiter since he's arrived landing major linebacker prospects Rick Deberry and defensive lineman Neville Gallimore. It has yet to be released what position he will hold on Green Bay's staff.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-jerry-montgomery-leaving-sooners-for-nfl-job/article/5392369

This is a weird one. My service manager had a sad look on his face and I asked him what was up. He said Montgomery is gone and I, as a fellow Sooner fan (don't hate me, I have been in OK for 30+ years...) was shocked as Coach Montgomery is a STUD and OU's best recruiter. I starting asking which college he is now either the HC or DC for and he said, "you are gonna be happy" and I knew it that instant! This is the type of move that many people will overlook but I swear to you guys that this young man is going to bring a boat load of fire and intensity to our defensive front! His guys absolutely love him and the way I have seen him (in person) develop D-Lineman is a thing of beauty. Charles Tapper is a DL that went from not playing ball a few years ago to being a first round pick so long as he plays well this next season. There are a number of guys I could go on about but the bottom line is I have seen this guy do some pretty amazing things with raw kids and now that he has a chance to work with pros I think his career is about to skyrocket. Many people around these parts spoke of how if Coach Stoops didn't move him up to DC, replacing his brother Mike, he would be gone pretty soon and sure enough. I know some of you may read this and think I am a quack but I will put my name and reputation on the line for this guy and think we are going to see immediate results and the guys that are going to benefit most are Pennel, Roninson and Thornton IMO. He has a innate ability to get the most out of all his guys and has a contagious energy the likes of Kevin Green but with more polished coaching abilities. I will stop now but I had to take to the board with this news as I obviously think this is going to be a great addition for our team. Welcome to Green Bay Monty (fingers crossed) and let's get after these young bucks and coach em up!! G P G!!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A hire like this has great drafting implications. Why? Because he was a top notch college recruiter and knows who the best players are...especially in the Big 12.

This is why Pete Carroll has had so much success drafting. He came fresh out of College and knew who to draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A hire like this has great drafting implications. Why? Because he was a top notch college recruiter and knows who the best players are...especially in the Big 12.

This is why Pete Carroll has had so much success drafting. He came fresh out of College and knew who to draft.
Big 10. He has only been in OK for 2 years. Prior to that he spent 2 years at Michigan state. Th ose guys are now draftabke. But he prolly has a good idea on the big 12 having coached against various offenses.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So perhaps we can expect a heavy Big 12 and Big 10 draft.

I like it.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This was exactly what I was thinking. This could be a brilliant move for the draft.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure he'll have some say on the draft too and recommend some players to us.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like and appreciate your fire regarding this hire. I think it'wise to bring in new high quality young coaches to help get the blood flowing again.
However, I think this is a case of giving a quality, young coach a shot in the NFL and that he will start out on the lowest rung of the ladder, probably a quality control assistant. It may be a few years before we see Montgomery have any appreciable impact on the Packers defense.
BTW, I'm an old Sooners fan from the days when my old (now deceased) friend Chuck Fairbanks was Head Coach of the Oklahoma Sooners. I attended a number of Sooners games in Norman during his tenure.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to multiple sources the Packers don´t plan on getting rid of any of the coaches currently on the defensive side of the ball so they´ll have to create a position for Montgomery.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I heard that whoever was the defnesive QC coach will take over Bennett's old spot on offense thus opening it up for Montgomery.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In regards to his immediate position I would state the obvious in saying you have to start somewhere. The thing that makes me like this move is the fact that he is a young guy with a ton of potential and he will now have a chance to harness that potential with us and not some other team. So long as he doesn't jack up the lunch orders I think he is going to fit in well and bring a bunch of energy to the staff. If and when they "cut him loose" I believe our guys are going to love playing for this guy and I hope/feel he can be a major contributor for years to come. Great add Coach Mike and once again, welcome to GB Coach Montgomery! G P G!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are building their coaching staff the same way they build their team. Bring in young guys with potential, put them in certain situations, see how they work and learn and react. Then when it's time, give them a promotion, whether that be because they are ready or someone else is leaving. They know what they have and they are bringing people along in a way that increases the odds for success.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like and appreciate your fire regarding this hire. I think it'wise to bring in new high quality young coaches to help get the blood flowing again.
However, I think this is a case of giving a quality, young coach a shot in the NFL and that he will start out on the lowest rung of the ladder, probably a quality control assistant. It may be a few years before we see Montgomery have any appreciable impact on the Packers defense.
BTW, I'm an old Sooners fan from the days when my old (now deceased) friend Chuck Fairbanks was Head Coach of the Oklahoma Sooners. I attended a number of Sooners games in Norman during his tenure.

From JSO...

Typically, Montgomery’s first stop in the NFL would have been as a D-line coach.

“You never know what’s going to happen,” he said. “But the best thing about it, I’m going to be trained by one of the best. When I’m done with my time here, I’ll be able to step in that role and feel really good about doing that.

“Obviously, I’m nowhere close to where I want to be, but this is a great opportunity. Like (Stoops said), ‘How can you pass up one of the greatest organizations in the NFL?’”

Capers, 64, is of robust health and, late in the season, said he could envision himself coaching until at least 70.

Montgomery spent the last four seasons helping coach 3-4 defenses at Michigan and Oklahoma.

“I’m going to learn what we do here and adapt and help where I can,” said Montgomery. “We won’t be worried about what I believe in. I’ll be buying into what we do here in Green Bay.

“One of my main goals was to be the best defensive line coach I could be at the highest level and start to develop as a coordinator. I moved up pretty quickly in the college ranks. This opportunity just kind of happened out of the blue.

“I’ll deal directly with Dom, and also assist with the front, whether outside backers or the D-line. (The duties) were very important to me before I just jumped and accepted a job.”

I found this interesting as it seems they do have some more immediate plans for Monty rather just cutting tape and grabbing lunch. I understand working your way up and I know he will be doing just that but he has a great track record working with DLineman and I think it would be a waste of talent to not let him get hands on with the fellas. Obviously time will tell what his true impact will be but this article seems to indicate they didn't bring him in to be an errand boy. I am so jacked up about this move as I keep saying. The game is ever evolving and you need fresh, young minds with a fresh approach to continue having success and this hire along with some other "shakeups" has me feeling confident that Mike has no intention of standing pat and being the stubborn, crusty cat many portrayed him to be. The talk of Jordan Phillips (NT/DT from OU) being picked by Ted is starting to make some sense. This kid can be an absolute terror and would be an immediate upgrade at the DT position for the Pack. Kiper has him pegged as the Packers first pick in the draft followed by Maxx Williams, the stud TE from Minnesota. I hate that football is over but if you dig enough you can find enough kernels to pass the time until Family Night. Go Pack Go!

H

HardRightEdge

“One of my main goals was to be the best defensive line coach I could be at the highest level and start to develop as a coordinator. I moved up pretty quickly in the college ranks. This opportunity just kind of happened out of the blue.

“I’ll deal directly with Dom, and also assist with the front, whether outside backers or the D-line. (The duties) were very important to me before I just jumped and accepted a job.”
The Packers have had a group of underperforming 1st. round picks in those defensive groups...Raji, then Perry, then D. Jones. Throw in Worthy in the second round. Most recently 3rd. and 4th. rounders Thornton and Bradford had disappointing camps.

Whatever the incumbent coaches have been whispering in their ears has not been working. A new voice, a fresh perspective, and McCarthy's avowed deeper involvement in the defensive schemes might untap some of that potential.

It sure can't hurt.

In any event, my comment earlier this week that the Packers would never win a Superbowl with Capers running the defense unencumbered is now moot.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have had a group of underperforming 1st. round picks in those defensive groups...Raji, then Perry, then D. Jones. Throw in Worthy in the second round. Most recently 3rd. and 4th. rounders Thornton and Bradford had disappointing camps.

Whatever the incumbent coaches have been whispering in their ears has not been working. A new voice, a fresh perspective, and McCarthy's avowed deeper involvement in the defensive schemes might untap some of that potential.

It sure can't hurt.

In any event, my comment earlier this week that the Packers would never win a Superbowl with Capers running the defense unencumbered is now moot.

I agree completely. As I mentioned in my earlier post the work he has done with Charles Tapper is just amazing and he has also helped mold Eric Striker into a 220 lb. monster off the edge. When you look at Striker you would say there is no way he can be a disruptive force going against O-lineman but game after game there he is using angles and leverage to scoot right around guys almost twice his size to make huge plays behind the LOS. He absolutely abused Cyrus Kouandjio from Bama in the Sugar Bowl 2 years back and many people believe that display caused Kouandjio to drop to the early second round (44th overall). He whipped Cyrus for 3 sacks including the strip sack/fumble that sealed the game for the Sooners. Both of these players praise Montgomery for coaching them up and teaching them the nuances of the position. These are just 2 examples of kids I have seen blossom under the tutelage of Monty and you can't fluke your way to the type of proven success he has had working and molding these youngsters. He himself played the position at a high level (U of Iowa) and is only 35 so he has a way of finding that ever important common ground with his players. McCarthy noted how his energy was one of the things they loved about him and I am telling you it's not that fake, forced energy rather the contagious type that comes from a love for the game and his craft. As you may have noticed I am all in with this guy and it's not just sunshine pumping. I have seen him do work with my own eyes and I would not be on here daily touting my belief in him if I weren't 100% sold. He IS going to be a great addition to this staff and as Coach Stoops says a "rising star in this profession." Great get by coach and I can't wait to see our guys flying off the ball next season. G P G!!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I would share this article I read today on one of my favorite Sooner sites, The Fooball Braniacs. The guy who wrote it is sharp as a can be and was out of the country on business when the word of Montgomery leaving broke. I thought his comments were interesting and it speaks to the loss this was for OU and what I feel was a great gain for the Pack...

Jerry Montgomery Leaves

Some of our long-time readers may recall me writing a while back that in grad school, I roomed with a teammate (and fellow defensive linemen) of Jerry Montgomery’s. My old roommate got me really excited when Jerry was hired, and my buddy eventually helped connect us. I had no idea Jerry was leaving, so it caught me by surprise just as it did most of you, I’m sure.

There really isn’t any way to spin this. Losing Jerry is quite a blow. He was becoming, or perhaps had become, the heart of the defense. At the very least, he was certainly the heart of OU’s defensive recruiting. As many of you probably know by now, he was also very instrumental in bringing in Kerry Cooks to coach the secondary. Personally, I don’t suspect Cooks would have come otherwise. Which only leads to more questions regarding Montgomery’s decision to leave when he did, but that’s probably a conversation for another time.

I continue to believe one of Montgomery’s greatest traits was that anyone could earn a spot at any time, and he knew how to communicate with the players. The two things that annoy me to no end are 1) not breeding true competition and 2) berating players.

Everyone thought when Mathew Romar had won the back up role to Jordan Phillips last year that Jordan Wade must have done something wrong. Honestly, at the time, I thought the same thing. So I asked Montgomery about it. And he told me, “no, Romar just earned it.” That is how you motivate players. You give them real incentives. I guarantee you, had Montgomery been here, Romar wouldn’t be allowed to rest on what he had done last season, and I’d be willing to bet that Wade would fight to win the spot back.

The other thing Jerry brought was a great coaching style. I have said it before, and I’ll say it again. All the shouting, and the yelling, and the berating is a tired act that while may, at one time, have had a place in the game, but in my opinion can no longer be the foundation of a coach’s style. A friend of mine who was at practice last fall camp told me that while some of the other coaches were yelling, Montgomery would simply (and calmly) show someone what they did wrong. And if he got really upset at a repeated error, he’d look at the person and sternly tell them to step off the field and then bring them back on a couple plays later.

I’m sure by now you’ve all gone through the many stages of grieving, so I won’t go on and on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts