New Overtime Rule Passes...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064"]NFL owners pass playoff overtime rules modification - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5022233@@AMEPARAM@@5022233[/ame]

For the postseason, for now. Though according to ESPN Radio, owners will consider expanding the new rule to regular season games as well.

Basics:
-------
-If you score a TD, you win.
-If you score a FG, the other team gets the ball. If that team gets a FG, it becomes "Sudden Death" just like how it used to be. If they get a TD, game over.

Ironically, Minnesota is one of the 4 teams to vote against it. After the NFC Championship, I thought they'd be all in.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I don't mind this rule, should be interesting to see how it plays out.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the change, and it seems like it could work, but I was hoping for the college version, back and forth, 2OT,3OT, 4OT...that would be some exciting games!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the change, and it seems like it could work, but I was hoping for the college version, back and forth, 2OT,3OT, 4OT...that would be some exciting games!
I see a major problem with the college system (though it'd benefit us). It completely excludes the ST play from the OT, which is not fair.

I really liked this new system. It allows defenses built on the bend-don't-break to work in the OT, as well as gives those more high powered offenses better chances.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Before anybody asks, yes, Arizona would still have beaten us in the Playoff game.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me personally..........I think we need to keep it the way it has been for years. Its about tradition. This is not College...........this is the NFL. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I would agree if the tradition didn't suck. I've always thought it was unfair that all the team winning the toss has to do is kick a FG and they win. I love this rule change. It adds balance. I hope they expand it to the regular season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would have lost because the Cards scored a TD right?

They could score from their own D?
We might not have lost, as I said.

Amongst the new OT rule, also passed a new positioning fof the umpire, him standing behind the QB.

If he was there, probably he'd have seen Rodgers' facemask being pulled, then the call would be 1st down for us!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts