New hail mary strategy

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a great idea for McCarthy to keep these successful hail maries going.

Have all but one of our WRs run down into the left side of the end zone. Make all the DBs think it's coming their way. One of our WRs runs to the right side at the last second, and that's where Rodgers is actually throwing it. He catches it alone for the TD.

The Bears used this strategy on a punt return against us a few years back. They had everyone go one direction, but Devin Hester was all alone in the other direction, and he took it all the way after all the Packers were on the other side of the field. Fortunately for us, it was called back on a penalty.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but our current strategy is golden, if it isn't broke, don't fix it :) though, as impressive as they've been, and exciting, I hope to not have to see any game end on one of those again this year. Unless of course we need it to win again :)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Have all but one of our WRs run down into the left side of the end zone. Make all the DBs think it's coming their way. One of our WRs runs to the right side at the last second, and that's where Rodgers is actually throwing it. He catches it alone for the TD.

The Bears used this strategy on a punt return against us a few years back. They had everyone go one direction, but Devin Hester was all alone in the other direction, and he took it all the way after all the Packers were on the other side of the field. Fortunately for us, it was called back on a penalty.
Current strategy has been pretty successful... if Rodgers is throwing it 60 yards in the air and 40 yards up... I'm pretty sure everyone in the end zone will know what direction the ball is going anyway... I doubt any misdirection will fool anyone.

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet on our next hail mary, the DBs will be so intent on batting it away, we need to have 2 receivers away from the group jumping for the ball. They are going to have an opportunity to catch the batted ball.

Actually what will probably happen is the DBs won't want to be victimized again, so they will commit flagrant PI that cannot be ignored by the refs. Watch it happen in the Super Bowl. What will MM call on 1st and Goal from the Patriots 1-yard line with 0:00 left in the 4th Quarter of the Super Bowl?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On an actual hail mary pass (40+ yards or longer in the air), the ball is in the air long enough for those defensive players to get to the other side of the field. There are usually a few players who start the play just outside of the endzone and would key in on this easily.

Many teams - not the Packers of course - have their punt return squad run to another spot, or have the returner line up in a different spot to throw off the coverage squad. The Bears play was a different wrinkle but essentially the same.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet on our next hail mary, the DBs will be so intent on batting it away, we need to have 2 receivers away from the group jumping for the ball. They are going to have an opportunity to catch the batted ball.

Actually what will probably happen is the DBs won't want to be victimized again, so they will commit flagrant PI that cannot be ignored by the refs. Watch it happen in the Super Bowl. What will MM call on 1st and Goal from the Patriots 1-yard line with 0:00 left in the 4th Quarter of the Super Bowl?

And he will go 5 wide and throw the ball haha.

lil dicky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean it sounds good but theres a reason no one does this.

1: By the time a receiver gets to his first spot and then runs over to the other Rodgers could be in trouble by the pass rush.
2: Very rarely does the QB stay in the pocket for the pass. They have to scramble out to avoid the rush a bit. So typically youre going to scramble to the side you want the receivers to bunch at. Now you want a guy to sneak out to the other side so your asking the QB to throw across the field to a receiver anywhere from 40-60 yards downfield. That balls going to hang and defenders are going to get there.
3: Theres nothing wrong with the current way were running the Hail Mary. Stick to what works.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Flip the sides and this was the Jeff Janis "Hail Rodgers" last year vs Arizona. He ran down one side of the field then drifted between the hashes by himself. Abby and JJ were topside. RR had to stay and block as opposed to releasing downfield like he did in Detroit.
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTcnT3gxlG5xk7yKQg/giphy.gif

Members online