1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

New England's 6 Wide Receiver Set

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Brandon, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    Honestly, I think this is genius, and it really goes to show the depth of knowledge Bill has as a coach. I've heard some peeps of it being a "stretch of the rule book" but I don't see anything wrong with it. For those of you who didn't see in the game against Baltimore, New England lined up with 6 wide receivers. It is not legal in the NFL to have 6 wide receivers run a route, however there is no rule stating there cannot be 6 wide receivers on the line of scrimmage so long as at least one of them remains on the line as an eligible blocker.

I'm not 100% clear if the WR that is the eligible blocker has to report as the blocker, but if not then this creates a devastating matchup problem for the defense. The defense suddenly has no idea who the cover because it is not a standard offensive formation and assignments suddenly get very tricky.

What are your thoughts on this play? I think the only downfall is it leaves one less body on the Oline for protection.

2. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +435
    I think it'd be interesting to do. Maybe try it out a few times and have the ineligible lined up with Sherman? I'm not sure how effective that'd be, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,598
    I think it was a great call by McDaniels. The Ravens defense looked totally confused on it as they tried to cover Vereen who declared himself ineligible (which he has to do).

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    the players have to report as ineligible to the ref and then the ref reports to the defensive captain

5. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    the players have to report as ineligible to the ref and then the ref reports to the defensive captain

6. Hincha

Hincha Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    Agreed... ingenious.

I could not figure out why Harbaugh was so mad at first and why he got the penalty, afterwards I understood.

7. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    I did not see the game. Did the ref report it to the def captain?

8. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Anyone have a video? I don't see where this is any kind of advantage. What did they do, put 6 WR on the field and only 4 OL or did they put a WR at QB?

9. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    The article I read said they did

I found it by doing Google this morning

10. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    I don't think there was any foul play, just confusion on the defense that well ticked a whiny coach off. Not really genius just brilliant.

11. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +453
    Very slick.

In theory, the guy that declares ineligible should be able to step back and take a backwards lateral from the QB if the QB sees he is ignored by the defense. Am I correct?

12. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Nope. That would be like an o line taking a lateral. He can't run with the ball or catch it.

13. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Advantage is the defense has a hard time matching up because they are confused about who is eligible.

14. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think Sherman only plays on the outside.

Can't legally line up and have an outside receiver ineligible, therefore Sherman would not get matched up with one.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...legal-plays-tom-brady-says-study-the-rulebook

[​IMG]

16. Daryl Muellenberg

Daryl Muellenberg Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +52
    So why can't an o-line take a lateral? They obviously can't receive a forward pass, but anyone can legally take a lateral - you see it all the time on last play desperation attempts.

From the rule book:
    Article 1 Backward Pass.
    A runner may throw a backward pass at any time (3-22-4). Players of either team
    may advance after catching a backward pass, or recovering a backward pass after it touches the ground.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  17. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Difference on those plays is the lineman are not the first to touch the ball after the QB. Ineligible receivers cannot get the ball directly from the QB whether it's a run or pass.

That's the rule.

18. Daryl Muellenberg

Ratings:
    +52
    I will believe you when you show me the rule. That's probably true for a run or a forward pass, but not a backward pass. The rule I quoted said any player on either team can receive a backward pass so I'm sticking with that until proven otherwise.

Found another definition: The backward pass can be made anywhere on the field, and all offensive players are eligible to receive such a pass.

Doesn't say anything about lineman not being able to be the first to receive a backward pass.

19. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,910
    I could be wrong. You added the rule to your post after I quoted it.

20. Daryl Muellenberg

Ratings:
    +52
    You just sounded so sure of yourself when you said "That's the rule." so I figured you knew of the so called rule, but I can't find anything that says what you claim. If you can find a rule that states this, then I will believe you, but not until then. :)

21. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Been digging and it looks like you're correct. I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere where that the lineman could not take a lateral, but guess not.

22. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +453
    I'm officially worried. I can practically hear Pete Carroll saying, dang! Why didn't I think of that. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him try this out on us. Very interesting play.