NEVER Defer to 2nd half again

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is dumb on McCarthys part. Just have to get the ball first and try to be up by 3 or 7 instead of sending Rodgers out there with all the pressure on him to immediately have to play catch up. This defense can't be trusted. Rodgers plays better when he has a lead because he can play more relaxed instead of pressing to play catch up. Inhope McMufgin has learned a lesson about deferring.

I like starting the second half with the football.

You have to put your defense on the field either way, so.........

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m firmly in the “depends” category. It’s part of the art of coaching.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stumbled on this nugget over the weekend from:
Interesting information. I don't see the benefit of deferring in OT, so throwing that out, the Packers elected to receive twice. I'm trying to figure out what the common factors were. Both games were against division rivals, both games were at home, both games were at night, and Hundley was the starter both times. The main information that's missing is the weather, so I'm not sure what the deciding factor was.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind deferring, as I agree with most of the points made here. My only reason for partial agreement with Rodell is that when playing from behind, McCarthy always seems to go immediately into panic mode and throws the ball too much. Starting off with the ball at least allows him to run the ball a little more evenly. Of course, MM should show more patience further into each game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO the decision shouldn't be set in stone. I would factor in a number of things.
  1. Wind/weather: if its a really windy day, I want that wind at my back in the 4th quarter. If heavy snow/rain is about to hit, go on offense first. Sun, Stadiums like AT&T in Arlington can be brutal for sun glare. Know when that sun is at its worst and position what direction you are going in.
  2. Location: If you are on the road and in a really hostile/loud stadium, might be better to let the fans initial energy level simmer a bit by going on defense first.
  3. Opponents Strength(s): If you are going up against a weak defense, let AR go out first and try to get some momentum and an early lead. Opponent has a weak offense? Get the defense on the field first.
I'm sure there are other factors, but IMO it isn't a decision that you make as an absolute policy and not take other things into consideration first.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the decision shouldn't be set in stone. I would factor in a number of things.
  1. Wind/weather: if its a really windy day, I want that wind at my back in the 4th quarter. If heavy snow/rain is about to hit, go on offense first. Sun, Stadiums like AT&T in Arlington can be brutal for sun glare. Know when that sun is at its worst and position what direction you are going in.
  2. Location: If you are on the road and in a really hostile/loud stadium, might be better to let the fans initial energy level simmer a bit by going on defense first.
  3. Opponents Strength(s): If you are going up against a weak defense, let AR go out first and get try and get the momentum. Opponent has a weak offense? Get the defense on the field first.
I'm sure there are other factors, but IMO it isn't a decision that shouldn't be an automatic one or the other.

That's a pretty good argument. I like it.

Perhaps the lesson here might be to make infrequent use of absolutes such as NEVER & ALWAYS........

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting information. I don't see the benefit of deferring in OT, so throwing that out, the Packers elected to receive twice. I'm trying to figure out what the common factors were. Both games were against division rivals, both games were at home, both games were at night, and Hundley was the starter both times. The main information that's missing is the weather, so I'm not sure what the deciding factor was.
Mondio, I noticed you disagreed with this post. Basically, my post is a question so I don't know what the heck you could be disagreeing with. The only real opinion I offered was that Poppa San had posted some interesting information. Is that what you're disagreeing with?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio, I noticed you disagreed with this post. Basically, my post is a question so I don't know what the heck you could be disagreeing with. The only real opinion I offered was that Poppa San had posted some interesting information. Is that what you're disagreeing with?
Probably my fat finger hit something as I scrolled thru on my phone. I have nothing to disagree with

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably my fat finger hit something as I scrolled thru on my phone. I have nothing to disagree with
Okay, thanks, never mind. I thought it might have been a mistake. I wouldn't have brought it up, but it seemed odd.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I wondered about that one too... it's amazing how many times I try to hit agree and my fingers end up hitting disagree... then I end up having to go back and change it .....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, thanks, never mind. I thought it might have been a mistake. I wouldn't have brought it up, but it seemed odd.
I'm on a computer this morning I can go back and change it. But now I feel like it has to stay there, as a testament to my famously fat fingers. Why is life so full of difficult choices? I will ruminate on this while I drink this morning, now coffee? or booze? oh boy...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on a computer this morning I can go back and change it. But now I feel like it has to stay there, as a testament to my famously fat fingers. Why is life so full of difficult choices? I will ruminate on this while I drink this morning, now coffee? or booze? oh boy...
I'm sure you could find some booze that goes well IN the coffee lol.

Members online

Latest posts