Neal suspended 4 games has ocd

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
We let a proven injury risk go in favor of someone who supposedly had a ton of talent but turned into another injury risk.

Sometimes you roll the dice and win. Sometimes you roll the dice and lose. This time we lost. Hindsight is 20/20.

Neal was already an injury risk before we let Jenkins go. He was one of the 15 or so players on IR when we won the SB. And unless I'm mistaken he was injury prone in college too. I'm starting to wonder if Ted drafts these glass men on purpose

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said enough about this bum and all I get is how he tossed Clifton aside for one play in practice, how strong he is, how he is the next coming, etc.

This is icing on the cake...

That's because you have the un-reaslistic expectation that every player should be at a pro-bowler starting in their rookie year.

3 years. That's about average for how long it takes for draft picks, even 1st rounders, to start to show what kind of player they're going to be. Sometimes it happens sooner, like with Clay. Sometimes it never happens. Fans need to be patient and give rookies at least three years to develop and show improvement before calling for them to be cut.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes you roll the dice and win. Sometimes you roll the dice and lose. This time we lost. Hindsight is 20/20.

Without starting a long string of arguments, let me get this straight.... When a player works out it's "all hail Ted Thompson"... When a player doesn't work out it's "sometimes you win, some time you lose. Nobody could have seen this coming".

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predicted there would still be Neal defenders. :D

I don't get why. Everybody falls in love with "potential". The problem is that "potential" eventually needs to translate into production. He hasn't had any production. He's been a guy who's been injured and has no impact.

On the plus side, those four games give him a chance to heal from the injury he'll incur in training camp.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal was already an injury risk before we let Jenkins go. He was one of the 15 or so players on IR when we won the SB. And unless I'm mistaken he was injury prone in college too. I'm starting to wonder if Ted drafts these glass men on purpose

Being injured in college or nfl doesnt mean you will or were injured in the other. Its a myth.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without starting a long string of arguments, let me get this straight.... When a player works out it's "all hail Ted Thompson"... When a player doesn't work out it's "sometimes you win, some time you lose. Nobody could have seen this coming".

No.. No one has ever said Ted was perfect, and it's become obvious he flubbed on this pick. It happens. The difference is some of you are stupidly quick to condemn the guy because he made a mistake. You have this unrealistic expectation that every pick he makes should become an instant pro-bowler that you never allow for any margin of error and you fail to see the big picture.

Ted's certainly had his fair share of misses, but he's had plenty of hits too. I guarantee that while some on this forum may have been lucky enough to call this particular shot, not a single one of you would be able to run this franchise any better. And yes, I call it luck because not a single person here knew for sure what kind of player Mike Neal would turn out to be.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predicted there would still be Neal defenders. :D

Who's defending him? I'm ready to move on at this point. The injuries to different body parts I was willing to chalk up to bad luck and was willing to give him one more season to show some improvement. But factor in the PED thing and I'm ready to move on.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get why. Everybody falls in love with "potential". The problem is that "potential" eventually needs to translate into production. He hasn't had any production. He's been a guy who's been injured and has no impact.

On the plus side, those four games give him a chance to heal from the injury he'll incur in training camp.

Right, but looking back at the beginning of 2010 and 2011, you had no idea whether he would realize that potential or not. Unfortunately he hasn't, but at that time, there was no way of knowing whether he would or not. He sure looked like he could at the beginning of 2010 though..

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he makes the final roster this year the team sees potential still, if he doesnt they are ready to admit their mistake.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How? In 7 years TT has yet to draft even a marginal NFL starter.

Must suck that so many of TTs picks have suceeded. But hey, every few years there is a Justin harrel or a Neal to make you happy.

I don't get it. Mike Neal shows the error of you "other players will emerge" assumption and you still come back with sarcasm.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but looking back at the beginning of 2010 and 2011, you had no idea whether he would realize that potential or not. Unfortunately he hasn't, but at that time, there was no way of knowing whether he would or not. He sure looked like he could at the beginning of 2010 though..

I'm not looking back though. I'm referring today (3/13/2012).

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks the above statements are not compatible? :confused:

See, there's your mistake. Amish takes everything to heart and applies sarcasm to everything. Nobody is calling TT garbage, but if you don't slurp him, Amish gets angry. And when Amish gets angry, he gets sarcastic.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think I understand your problem wit TT - You advocate going after players with no potential.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not looking back though. I'm referring today (3/13/2012).

As of today we don't know what kind of health Mike Neal is in. We know he tested positive for PED's, presumably because he wanted to get better quicker, but we don't know how healthy he is. It's been widely speculated that his lack of production last season was because of his knee injury. We don't know if that will still hinder him or not though.

He'll go through the off-season and training camp and then a decision will be made. If he's healthy, he'll get a chance to prove he can play to his potential. If not, they'll move on, like any other player.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it. Mike Neal shows the error of you "other players will emerge" assumption and you still come back with sarcasm.
Responding in kind. How on Gods green earth does this support your "reasoning" that no players will 'emerge'?

I just don't get what you try to convey. I guess maybe you focus so closely on a tree with some rot, you are not paying attention to the magnificent forest you are standing in.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of today we don't know what kind of health Mike Neal is in. We know he tested positive for PED's, presumably because he wanted to get better quicker, but we don't know how healthy he is. It's been widely speculated that his lack of production last season was because of his knee injury. We don't know if that will still hinder him or not though.

He'll go through the off-season and training camp and then a decision will be made. If he's healthy, he'll get a chance to prove he can play to his potential. If not, they'll move on, like any other player.

I agree with that. I'm just not counting on a guy with 9 tackles in two years who is suspended for the first quarter of next season to be a factor. He could be a surprise, but I'll keep expectations low.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Responding in kind. How on Gods green earth does this your "reasoning" that no players will 'emerge'?

I just don't get what you try to convey. I guess maybe you focus so closely on a tree with some rot, you are not paying attention to the magnificent forest you are standing in.

We're NOT talking about other players. We're talking about Mike Neal. The thread is about Mike Neal. The assumption last year was that Mike Neal would emerge to replace Jenkins... He didn't. Now he's suspended for a quarter of the season. Since the thread is about Mike Neal, you are absolutely correct, I am focusing on one rotten tree.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that. I'm just not counting on a guy with 9 tackles in two years who is suspended for the first quarter of next season to be a factor. He could be a surprise, but I'll keep expectations low.

On this we agree. I'd like him to prove it. If he does nothing next season, I'll be in favor of cutting him and moving on.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts