Nathaniel Hackett new OC

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hackett is Packers new offensive coordinator.

"Hackett has deep ties to the West Coast offense. He's the son of former University of Pittsburgh coach Paul Hackett, who gave McCarthy his start in coaching. The elder Hackett has ties to the early days of Bill Walsh's offense in San Francisco. LaFleur comes from the Mike Shanahan branch of the West Coast system.

One source described the younger Hackett as "an outgoing personality who will complement LaFleur and work well with [quarterback Aaron] Rodgers." "

OP
OP
D

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if this was covered in the assistant coach thread, I didn't see anything on it. Just wondered what everyone thought of this hire.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hackett is Packers new offensive coordinator.

"Hackett has deep ties to the West Coast offense. He's the son of former University of Pittsburgh coach Paul Hackett, who gave McCarthy his start in coaching. The elder Hackett has ties to the early days of Bill Walsh's offense in San Francisco. LaFleur comes from the Mike Shanahan branch of the West Coast system.

One source described the younger Hackett as "an outgoing personality who will complement LaFleur and work well with [quarterback Aaron] Rodgers." "

And the youth movement continues......

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never impressed with his dad Paul. He was offensive coordinator for KC (if I remember correctly) and was terrible. Then I think he went to Southern Cal and was bad there also. I hope his son has his own ideas.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping LaFleur & Hackett are in AR's ear constantly to get back to the "move the chains" mentality instead of repeatedly throwing 40 yds downfield on 3rd and 4.

I hope they can get thru to him by running 70+ offensive plays/game that he'll have plenty of opportunities to "take the shot" when it's there... but keep the defense off of the field and move the chains will yield more scoring, better stats and offensive results overall.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard interview on wssp with Jax plabplay guy.

He believes Hacket wanted to open up the pass game more. But tom Coughlin stated, big Def, pound the ball and utilize play action fakes.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. It doesn’t matter who’s calling plays...they need to get that o line together and fine a WR core that works. The days of the 3 wr sets may be gone so they really need to find a #2 and get more production from the Tightend spot.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping LaFleur & Hackett are in AR's ear constantly to get back to the "move the chains" mentality instead of repeatedly throwing 40 yds downfield on 3rd and 4.

I hope they can get thru to him by running 70+ offensive plays/game that he'll have plenty of opportunities to "take the shot" when it's there... but keep the defense off of the field and move the chains will yield more scoring, better stats and offensive results overall.

I understand this refrain but people do realize that Rodgers actually didnt do anything different than he has in the past right? Actually his average yards in air per pass attempt was lower this year than in 2016 when the Packers were 4th in the league in scoring. Rodgers has always liked to air it out

Eduardo Valadares

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I look at our offense I just think we need a guard and maybe a Tight End. All the issues we had were on McCarthy's account. Just put Rodgers to move the chains, less big plays, more running and time management.
We really need to focus on how to make our defense reliable for 60 minutes. Abou 90% of our losses happened in small time windows.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here are some interesting observations:
  1. Before Hackett was let go (after wk 12), the Jaguars offense only scored 19 touchdowns on offense, or 1.58 per game. However, after he was let go, the Jaguars managed 2 touchdowns in the remaining five games, or .4 per game.
  2. During his tenure in 2018, the Jaguars averaged 17.9 PPG; after he was let go, 9.6 PPG.
  3. In 2017, the Jaguars were 5th in scoring under Hackett (26.1 PPG).
  4. I counted 5 defensive touchdowns in 2017 combing through the box scores. If you remove those, you're talking about 23.9 PPG (this is actually an unfair measure, as all teams' scoring offenses included defensive scores, but I'm making a point).
  5. Hackett's leading skill position players in 2017 in terms of snap counts were Blake Bortles, Marcedes Lewis, Keelan Cole, Marqise Lee, and Leonard Fournette.
  6. The sum total of QB's that have started games for Hackett: Blake Bortles, Chad Henne, E.J. Manuel, Thad Lewis, Cody Kessler, Jeff Tuel and Kyle Orton.

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. It doesn’t matter who’s calling plays...they need to get that o line together and fine a WR core that works. The days of the 3 wr sets may be gone so they really need to find a #2 and get more production from the Tightend spot.
Like trade for ab! Rodgers has 3 good yrs left they need to go ALL OUT imo lol

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason to think he can't play well for longer than that.
I know I’m just saying a lot could happen in that time too they could move on u never know but I still think they should go all out sign anyone and everyone that is gonna help or even trade Rodgers and ab are friends he would be good here.. it’s ab.. I don’t care about the cap bs or anything else he is the best receiver in the game.. I’m still pissed yrs ago when we didn’t get randy moss..

Eduardo Valadares

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more.
That's about it.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like trade for ab! Rodgers has 3 good yrs left they need to go ALL OUT imo lol
Will you stop it! You're jinxing us again! :laugh:

Honestly my initial reaction upon hearing this hiring as i'm sure most of us had was "Who?"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So while I provided some context on the caliber of player Hackett has had to work with, the other side of the coin is the reality of the offenses he's produced. His QB's have tied his hands in ways, but you certainly can't paint the results as a plus.

In terms of offensive DVOA, his teams have ranked:

25th (BUF, 2013), 26th (BUF, 2014), 27th (JAX, 2016), 16th (JAX, 2017), 30th (JAX, 2018)

That's not a pretty sight. So while you can easily say that he's done the best he could with what he had (and the results after JAX fired him support that), there's still no proof that he's a great OC.

Bottom line-- Hackett isn't revving my engine, but he's not a bad hire at all. Given the type of OC job the Packers were advertising (i.e. one in which the HC is ultimately in charge of the offense and is calling the plays), I think he's pretty well qualified.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me like he will be a long-term OC because he does not have the resumé to be offered a HC position anytime soon. This is a great hire when all things are considered.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was never impressed with his dad Paul. He was offensive coordinator for KC (if I remember correctly) and was terrible. Then I think he went to Southern Cal and was bad there also. I hope his son has his own ideas.

The Chiefs were ninth in points scored during Hackett's time as their offensive coordinator.

I know I’m just saying a lot could happen in that time too they could move on u never know but I still think they should go all out sign anyone and everyone that is gonna help or even trade Rodgers and ab are friends he would be good here.. it’s ab.. I don’t care about the cap bs or anything else he is the best receiver in the game.. I’m still pissed yrs ago when we didn’t get randy moss..

Unfortunately the Packers front office has to care about the salary cap. Brown has too much package to make sense trading for.

Reaction score
If he calls more running plays than big Mike did then ill be happy
You may get your wish. On an NFL Satellite radio interview this morning LaFleur said specifically he wanted more balance on running vs passing. He talked about how important it is to open up play action. When he was asked about coaching in “West Coast” style teams he answered “I don’t even know what that means (or is?) anymore.

IMO. He obviously 100% does. To me it shed some light that modern Offenses are changing concepts and always waning from one mode to another. The entire NFL conversation just before the MLF interview was talking about the resurgence of the dual threat RB today. There are several current playoff teams that have better running stats in almost every category with their feature back out of the equation. Ones you’d never dream of like KC. The dropoff from a #1 to a #2 is marginal and that’s what makes a team dangerous they run deep. Literally.
We all witnessed that with LA last weekend.

I’d expect to see a heavy dose of Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. I also wouldn’t be surprised one bit if we bring in another top notch RB through FA or the draft (particularly after trading Ty mid season) I like Jamaal, but to me he’s not that guy either.

Personally I like this concept because it takes pressure off #12. If you take pressure off Aaron to not have to single handed carry this team? IMO you’ll see it turn into a machine again. Defenses won’t know if we’re coming or going.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Petals' offensive background suggests a lot more rushing attempts than what the Packers were normally doing under McCarthy. In recent seasons, GB was somewhere from 32-38% in terms of running plays. The Rams and 49ers were much higher, as were his Titans last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts