Na'il Diggs and LB's

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2006 is final year of Diggs contract. He started as a rookie and has played well despite nagging injuries virtually every year. A great pick in the 4th round by Ron Wolf.

His cap number for 2006 is 3.8 million with less than a million being prorated signing bonus. Cutting him after June 1 would save over 3.3 million in 2006 but cost approx 450K in 2007.

Lenon is a free agent after this year. Thomas also will be in the final year of contract in 2006(roughly 740K cap #) Manning and Popinga are improving. We have yet to see what Campbell can do. There will be many LB free agents available.

I think training camp competition will determine Diggs future with the team. His time may be up.

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to me anything that diggs has done so far hasent been spectacular plus hes hurt quite a bit im curious what they are going to do with him i like the guy but do we need him?

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diggs has been ok but there are better players to be had for the same money. Thomas has to be resigned if the price is not to high. Popinga should get a chance to win the starting job next year.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diggs is a good player when he's on the field, which isn't as often as we'd all like him to be. I'd like to see him back, but not for 3.8 million dollars.

Reaction score
Compare the 3.8 million Diggs will make in real life to that which I had to pay Diggs in Madden, 3.8 is a bargin! But yeah in reality, that is a little too much. Regardless, I am not worried because TT will sort it out. I trust TT to do the right thing.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diggs' future with GB will depend on how well/fast Popinga develops. Pop is a demon on ST and he's been showing his talent as a rusher. Now he needs to show what he can do as a strong side LB.

If we lose Lenon, then Manning will become the top backup. I think we'd have a strong LB corps next year with Pop, Barnett and Thomas starting and Manning and Lenon as backups.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps we add AJ Hawk to the equation! I think TT will go defense on the draft and it would not get too much better than drafting Hawk. The RB class is deep and the league shows you can get talent at that position throughout the rounds.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A.J. Hawk would be awesome but we could use a little help on the line and in the secondary. We need a big playmaker somewhere on D to make us elite.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
AJ Hawk IS a playmaker....an exceptional one at that!

maybe he can play middle linebacker, move barnett to the outside, and we have a freaking solid linebacking core...or maybe we draft odell thurman at the 24th overall pick and worry about the QB position at a later date...ok, sorry, sorry

but yeah, we always have to plan our defense around when diggs is gonna get hurt, he is much like vonnie holliday, a liability

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schlegel, Anthony LB 6-1 251 Sr

Carpenter, Bobby LB 6-3 255 Sr

Hawk, A.J. LB 6-1 240 Sr

D`Andrea, Mike LB 6-3 248 Sr

Four senior lb's coming out fromThe Ohio State University this year.

A.J. Hawk is the best of the group, TT. I hope will grab him if he has the chance, he will be a bonifide star in the NFL.

Bobby Carpenter broke his leg against Michigan, but hopefully will be back to play in whichever bowl they play in.

He and Anthony Schlegal are both intense players, probably 2nd-3rd rnd picks.

Mike D'Andrea has had injury issues, but has played his way back into the lineup, could be a real value pick if he is around in 4th - 6th round.

Hopefully we can keep Diggs and get one of these guys(or maybe two) it would make strong group of linebackers to start with next year.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the problem with so much money being tossed around. I mean Diggs has been great for us, but you're right, he is often injured. So do you pay him 3.8 mil next year. I mean that kind of money is reserved for big time players. So is Diggs a big time player? In my opinion no, but he is a nice player who happens to be on the downside of his career. The same thing is true with Greene. Now had they paid Wahle that big money I would not have complained because he's young, he's a big money player and he makes a difference.

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see Hawk in a Packer uniform , I watched him play in the shoe the last 4 years and he's the real deal . Hawk should win the Butkus award . Carpenter and Schlegel are warriors and would be a solid addition for any team . D'Andrea applied for a medical redshirt this year and will be back with the Buckeyes next year . Now if Ohio ST. junior WR Santonio Holmes comes out early , the Pack should grab him he's a gamebreaker .

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. A fine group of LBers at OSU. But I think we need a real stud on the DL. Someone who can play 3 downs and bring pressure. That alone will help our LBers by keeping OL off them. Then too, I would like to see what many of you have been advocating...moving Barnett to OLB. Try a fiery guy like Poppinga in the middle. He can move! Unfortunately, I doubt MS would make such a move..it is out of his comfort zone. Obviously, all the moves I'd like and all the players we need cannot be covered by only 5 draft picks even if every one was a jewel, which never happens. TT has a chance to make important history with the Packers next year especially with our cap space. I'm excited about it (can you tell?)

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't know that about D'Andrea, good for him, he'll have one more year to prove to everyone his worth.

Santonio Holmes catching the ball for The Green and Gold, now there is a dream us Ohio Packer fans can only hope for.

As I have stated before, it is always good to have a few Buckeyes playing in Green Bay!!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are these guys from THE Ohio State University or just any old Ohio State University? Gimme a break.

BTW...wasn't Diggs one of THE best LB's to play at THE Ohio State University. If you think he can't cut it why would you take any of their four existing ones.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax DePack, it;s only a play on words, you know like Miami players calling their alma mater "The U".

You need to get out and enjoy life, I think this season is starting to get to ya!!!!

There is not one person on this forum who doesn't enjoy watching players from their favorite college play for The Packers.

In Hawks case, this guy is a special player, if he does end up in Green Bay, it won't take long for Packer Fans to embrace him, in the way only Packer fans can.

I tried to make the point that if we passed on Hawk, the others would be available in later rounds, and any of them would be good to have.

I think I also stated I hoped we could keep Diggs and sign at least one of these guys to have depth at the LB position going into next season.

Every year there are players who become salary cap victims, at 3.8 million, Diggs will probably become one of these players.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Thomas Howard out of UTEP. Look at kipers big board, talks about him being one of the most athletic of all the linebackers. Truth be told, TT will probably trade down and get more picks so Hawk might be out of the question. That leaves linebackers that i'd like hte packers to draft as:

Ahmad Brooks: Top 10 or 5 talent but injury might make him stay his senior year, draft sites compare him to lewis and the best MLB to come out in years. 6'4" 250 runs 4.5 40

Bobby Carpenter: big and fast OLB,

Thomas Howard: bigger 6'2 240 but runs a lagitamete 4.4 40. as a OLB

Abdul Hodge: tenacious MLB from Iowa. Smaller and quick. Might be the same build as Barnett.

Seeing that we have a early 2nd round pick (more likely then not), hopefully we use the 1st round pick on a Runningback or on the Defensive line (DE more specifically, need someone to help kampman and KGB and give then a break)

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh how I hate Ohio State!
But I'll tell you what I would never pass up a chance to draft a top of the line player from Ohio State.
I would take Hawk or Schlegel if available.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeye...relax....maybe YOU need to get out. These "Student athletes" that come out of that school look like pompous a-holes when they say that crap. At least Miami's makes sense....you know..."The U" as in the only U. Ohio State's "THE Ohio State" means it is the only Ohio State......no ****.

Anyway.....Hawk is a stud and I'd love to get him. I don't think the other three are even in his class. Everybody touts their own team. I'm an ND fan but if you asked me who the top 4 lb's in the draft were I wouldn't name Notre Dame's.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ChuckSTG said:
Ahmad Brooks: Top 10 or 5 talent but injury might make him stay his senior year, draft sites compare him to lewis and the best MLB to come out in years. 6'4" 250 runs 4.5 40

Brooks is a phenominal athlete and definitely a future star in the league. If he comes out this year, we could get him for probably a 2nd round pick because of his injuries this year. Reminds me of what happened to Chris Canty last year. Al Groh can recruit big time defensive talent.

Members online

Latest posts