Myth of the halftime adjustment

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sherman is under more fire because of how bad we are this year,and of course the fact he lets brett off so easiley,which i dont think he does,get rid of rossly and some others you will have better coaching staff,players need to be accountable to.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting read, thanks for passing that on.
I remember when Mike Holmgren was leading the Green Bay Packers in those Super Bowl years how he was always credited with being able to make half time "adjustments".
Perhaps the Packers were just a really well coached team with great players and no "adjustments were necessary. They just went out and won.
I don't ever remember Lombardi being credited with half time adjusments.
I do remember the story of Lombardi going into the locker room behind at half time and saying, " I'm sorry, I thought I was in the mens locker room" and leaving without another word said.
Reportedly the Packers won that game.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't make this clear but this might be even more damning of Sherman given that we've blown at least 3 half time leads that I can think of this season (which puts us in a very small minority).

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman does make half time adjustments. When they have the lead at halftime during the second half he goes into protect mode to protect the lead.

Sorry couldn't resist, my bad.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman DOES make halftime adjustments... The players haven't performed them...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Obi1 said:
Sherman DOES make halftime adjustments... The players haven't performed them...
I'm sure they reach into their cups to make the proper adjustments.

I thought it was the fortune cookie...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right Packmaster...

then I guess Tice is just making "better adjustments" at halftime because he is obviously "smarter" than Sherman...

which is a depressing thought...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Right Packmaster...

then I guess Tice is just making "better adjustments" at halftime because he is obviously "smarter" than Sherman...

which is a depressing thought...

That monicker was picked up by another poster.

Let's NOT imply that i am him.. OK Chase?

What is it that YOU don't understand about the fact that the Packers haven't had the depth to make up for the loss of their starters who would make the adjustmdents?

Current crop has a hard time. YOU NEVER do answer the questions about whether you really believe Sherman called the fumble or a Clfton offsides or Chatman to run the wrong route so that Brett throws those league leading interceptions.

GBnative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the last Viqueen game it was very obvious that the queens came out in the second half with an "adjustment" to run at KGB wherever he lined up. The Packers tried moving him back and forth between the right and left end position, but which ever side KGB lined up on, that is where they ran. I think this is the most common adjustment coaches make during a game. They discover a personnel matchup that they can consistantly win and they exploit it in every way possible.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GBNative...

very true...

My question is..why don't the GB coaches ever seem to figure out what the weaknesses of the other team are and come out after half-time and exploit them?

(and Bruce..don't give me the Raven game because that was one game several years ago..and it hasn't seemed to happen since...)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBnative said:
In the last Viqueen game it was very obvious that the queens came out in the second half with an "adjustment" to run at KGB wherever he lined up. The Packers tried moving him back and forth between the right and left end position, but which ever side KGB lined up on, that is where they ran. I think this is the most common adjustment coaches make during a game. They discover a personnel matchup that they can consistantly win and they exploit it in every way possible.

The adjustment that the Vikings made was to personnel not in strategy or game plan. They came into the game planning to run the ball, followed by a short passing game. Mike Tice change two offensive linemen and keep peppering away. Fresh in the first half the Packers (including KGB) were able to stop the run and the short passing game by dominating the line of scrimmage. In the 2nd half the Vikings continued to pound the ball and the Packers wore down and the Vikings dominated the line of scrimmage.

If there were any half time adjustments they were negative adjustments. The Packers probably played it a bit too close to the vest, allowing the Vikings to not only climb back into the game, but to start believing that the game was theirs. The Vikings changed personnel and execution, not strategy or play calls.

That is not to say they (teams) do not look at the film and adjust plays, but it is extraordinarily rare for a team to abandon the game plan they worked on all week during the game or at half time. It does happen, but like I said it is rare and more times than not it fails -- in fact they are often the games where a team gets blown out.

In fact, great coaches keep the faith of their players and convince them if they keep on working and start executing things will work out and the game will turn. Vince was a classic example of this type of coaching.

Generally, WCO coaches tend to lose faith themselves in aspects of their plan and turn too much to the passing game and abandon the run -- all of this within the scope of the game plan, but it is my greatest criticism of this style of offense. When it is working it is a piece of art, when it is not it takes great discipline to keep balance and faith that things will turn.

BTW You are correct when you say that adjustments to matchup advantages and exploiting them is the biggest adjustment coaches make -- however those are happening constantly throughout the game, not just at halftime.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
GBNative...

very true...

My question is..why don't the GB coaches ever seem to figure out what the weaknesses of the other team are and come out after half-time and exploit them?

(and Bruce..don't give me the Raven game because that was one game several years ago..and it hasn't seemed to happen since...)

66: You seem to be confusing game plans and half-time adjustments. The Ravens game is just one example of an outstanding game plan that was put in that exploited the until than unbeatable defending Super Bowl Champion Ravens' defense. Just as the the Packers did the next season against the defending Super Bowl Patriots a year later and against the defending Super Bowl Champion Bucs the year after that.

You want an example of half-time adjustments making a difference I would tell you to go back a year (almost to the day) and look at the Pack Vs Lions game. Conditions were horrible and the Lions looked dominate in the first half -- shooting to a 13 - 0 half time lead. Things looked bleek, the coachings staff adjusted for conditions and the surprising fronts that the Lions were coming out in defensively and dominated the 2nd half - winning 16 - 13.

I hope that helps.

Members online

Latest posts