Myles Jack

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just hypothetically thinking, given that some analysts are saying he could fall into the second half of the first round now (though others don't buy that at all), if he was still around at like pick 18, who here would be okay if we traded up for him? For argument sake let's say it costs us our first, second and a fifth.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Degenerative knee-condition. Meniscus is healing but cartilage and bone are separating from each other very possibly requiring micro-fracture surgery sooner rather than later.

Toooooo risky to give up that many picks for.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just hypothetically thinking, given that some analysts are saying he could fall into the second half of the first round now (though others don't buy that at all), if he was still around at like pick 18, who here would be okay if we traded up for him? For argument sake let's say it costs us our first, second and a fifth.

It depends on the medical staff´s take on his knee. If the Packers doctors think he will be able to get fully healthy for the 2016 season I would be excited if Thompson ends up drafting him even if moving up would cost a second rounder.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on the medical staff´s take on his knee. If the Packers doctors think he will be able to get fully healthy for the 2016 season I would be excited if Thompson ends up drafting him even if moving up would cost a second rounder.

If that were the diagnosis there's no way Myles would make it to #27.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Degenerative knee-condition. Meniscus is healing but cartilage and bone are separating from each other very possibly requiring micro-fracture surgery sooner rather than later.

Toooooo risky to give up that many picks for.
This is the dagger for me. Im an eternal optimist. Unless you mention microfracture surgery.... Then its a no thank you, for me. Even if its b.s.... Im not risking it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dr. James Andrews told ESPN that Myles Jack won't micro-fracture surgery.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Still only 1 doctors opinion and is probably open for debate. I am sure that this info. was known to some extent before the draft. Myles own words yesterday,definitely added even more uncertainty to things.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is interesting though to see how things unfold with players like Tunsil, Smith, Jack, etc. Character flaw VS. Medical flaw. Personally, I would have a lot more faith in the medical side of things then trying to fix the character side of things. But I am sure examples from both sides of both issues can show various results.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting though to see how things unfold with players like Tunsil, Smith, Jack, etc. Character flaw VS. Medical flaw. Personally, I would have a lot more faith in the medical side of things then trying to fix the character side of things. But I am sure examples from both sides of both issues can show various results.
stupid for the video to show up, but man, college kids do "dumb" things. I bet 40% of the guys I knew in college smoked weed at some point and the majority of them are living very normal lives with a pretty high standard of living. no pun intended. I'm serious, MD's, Ortho's, AT's running sports med clinics, PT's. and if not weed, a lot of them did just a stupid of stuff involving alcohol, but that's more accepted. It was still stupid ****. I remember some of the initiation parties for the football players, man if that stuff was on video?? oh man. I"m glad I grew up when I did that's for sure.

but just being on video smoking weed isn't a deal breaker, there's a lot more that goes into a person. Especially at that age, where stupid decisions might just be stupid decisions or a stupid lifestyle that wont' change.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
stupid for the video to show up, but man, college kids do "dumb" things.

Oh I totally agree. Really bad timing for Tunsil. But how often have we seen stuff like this start popping up on a guy and find out later we were just seeing the tip of the iceberg? I think its happening more and more, and because of the internet and social media, its harder to hide. Teams are rightfully starting to get gun shy of things like this. At least with a medical issue, albeit it some of it is guessing, you know what you are probably in for. That isn't to say that a stand up guy like Jaylon Smith can't change or has hidden the real deal from everyone, but for my money, stupid acts of bad character start adding up and raise a big red flag. Is this the case for Tunsil? Not sure and I think a lot of teams felt the same.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still only 1 doctors opinion and is probably open for debate. I am sure that this info. was known to some extent before the draft. Myles own words yesterday,definitely added even more uncertainty to things.

If Dr. Andrews is correct though and the Packers passed on Myles Jack because of an inaccurate report I would be furious about them not doing their due diligence.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Dr. Andrews is correct though and the Packers passed on Myles Jack because of an inaccurate report I would be furious about them not doing their due diligence.

Would be hard to believe that the other 25 or so teams that could have picked Mack didn't do their due diligence as well. Now if Mack had a team of doctors examine him this morning and release this "new" news, I would be more apt. to think that it was just that, new and worthy of of Cleveland saying "we just got a top five pick handed to us!" I'm guessing that this is a bit like Jaylon Smith, the unknowns were big enough to push him out of the first round.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Would be hard to believe that the other 25 or so teams that could have picked Mack didn't do their due diligence as well.

I agree Poker... All teams passed for a reason.. Cant see how or why someone can blame the Packers for not grabbing him..They can only go by what they get as information.

Just like Billings, the teams had better info than the average poster. Yet some were mad Billings wasnt grabbed by the Pack.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would be hard to believe that the other 25 or so teams that could have picked Mack didn't do their due diligence as well.

Well, it took all of five picks after Dr. Andrews came out saying that Jack doesn't need microfracture surgery for a team to draft him. I truly wonder that if the Packers have contacted him earlier they could have come away with the steal of the draft.

As a side note, it's amazing that the Thompson can do no wrong crowd uses him being smarter than the bottom dwellers as an excuse for the Packers not using free agency but are completely fine with him doing exactly the same as those teams when it fits their way of thinking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Wonder if the other teams knew the report of Andrew's statement of no micro surgery needed in time (I am thinking they did)

Then it begs the question, why didn't they snap up this very talented guy?

In my eyes, there are a minimum of 4 excuses or reasons why passing on him.

1) Teams truly didn't know? but Dr Andrew said he told Jack in December..

2) Dr Andrew told Jack but Jack's team didn't say anything? So Jack just guessed he needed micro surgery?

3) Teams did know, but they wanted their own doctors to examine or view latest images and report, but no time. But again if Andrew told Jack in December, should have been plenty of time.

4) Teams just did not want him (or didn't need a LB in the 1st?

Sonething isn't adding up, think there were 3 or 4 tems that passed that took a LB..

May never know

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As of today, it really looks like the Packers lost out on 1 of 3 golden opportunities at a LB in Mack, Smith or Ragland. Maybe in 3 years, I will think differently, but right now it stings. Did they have the same medical information as Dallas on Smith? Probably not. I said this weeks ago, Cowboys Team Doctor, Dan Cooper, was Smith's surgeon and look who picked Smith.

Mack IMO, was a gut reaction by teams on Day 1 to what appeared to maybe be "new news" on the potential for needing future microfracture surgery. Once the dust settled and teams had time to think about it and possibly research it further, having a player like Jack for a possibly shortened career looked to be a smart pick by the Jags.

But Ragland, IMO was the steal. If all that scared the Packers and other teams off was the news about his heart, then they better get out of the business of risk analysis and aversion. There are far more serious current and future medical conditions that can end a players career.

Picks 1-26 couldn't have set the Packers up any better and I don't mind the Clark/Spriggs picks, but I just think they could have managed to get a much needed player like Ragland, Mack or Smith and still have gotten either Clark or Spriggs in round 2 (Spriggs for sure), plus another pick if they had traded back to grab one of the linebackers.

Day 2 was the opposite of Day 1 for the Packers (in my eyes), seemed like almost every player coming off the board, was a potential great pick for the Packers.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see what happens today. I bet we come away with an ILB at some point. But at this stage of the draft, it'll be for depth/ST purposes unless whoever it is really sticks out in camp and preseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

We'll see what happens today. I bet we come away with an ILB at some point. But at this stage of the draft, it'll be for depth/ST purposes unless whoever it is really sticks out in camp and preseason.

I'm sorry but entering the offseason it was pretty obvious adding only depth at inside linebacker doesn't cut it this year. Yet here we are again on day 3 of the draft and Thompson hasn't even brought in a single player at the position. Extremely tough to understand.

Members online

Latest posts