My thoughts on Favre

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:
I don't blame MM but I do find it interesting how at the beginning of the season the MM supporters were all praising how MM would control Brett and coach him instead of just giving Brett free will like MS did. Now some of those same people are saying the coach has nothing to do with it. I'm not ragging on anyone just raising an interesting point.

Rest of my reply can be seen on Trom's original post!

Watch the next time Brett tosses an int...MM is right there sitting with him and talking to him..

You ever see MS do that?

MS was a control freak. He wanted to know what was going on Defensive wise every play which isn't bad but he's not a Defensive minded guy. Sherman really only let one guy (Bates) run things his way. The rest was done with the coordinators but Sherman made sure he had his say. In other words everyone but Bates was on a leash.

McCarthy is letting Sanders run the Defense and the Offense is his. He doesn't have Sanders on a short leash. McCarthy is to trustworthy and Sherman is to controlling. If only we could settle in the middle.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I used the word "great" in my previous post, such as a great Defense, great Offense and great over all players, I think most people knew what I meant. Give Brett something to work with then I think we would be okay...we dont even have a semi great defense of semi great offense...they are both very poor..with everything poor on a team, how can a QB be good??

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver and Jennings are poor? Funny how nobody says that when favre is having an accurate day and those guys show they are anything but poor. interesting.

cmon, just admit hes not the same man. yes a lot of the team isnt very good, but dont short sell guys who are good cuz favre is lacking. thats not fair to driver and greg, and even ahman who is playing well somehow.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver and Jennings are poor? Funny how nobody says that when favre is having an accurate day and those guys show they are anything but poor. interesting.

cmon, just admit hes not the same man. yes a lot of the team isnt very good, but dont short sell guys who are good cuz favre is lacking. thats not fair to driver and greg, and even ahman who is playing well somehow.

Guess I have to clarify what I meant, I didnt mean DD or Jennings were bad players nor would I say that. I am saying the Packers team as a whole isnt good..there are "some" really good players...I love DD and Jennings those are the two play makers we have...but again I would trust DD more he is just more experienced.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom, the glory years of the nineties and in fact as recently as the raiders game in 2003 werent just about great throws they were also about great catches.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of course Favre isnt the same man we all get wiser when we get older or we hope we do anyways..lol..

As for Favre being accurate, no hes not all the time accurate but neither are other QB's at times they have their good games and bad. And Favre isnt lacking talent...and you cannot put the blame totally on Favre either its takes the whole team to make plays come together not just a few or one...a QB can only do so much...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I used the word "great" in my previous post, such as a great Defense, great Offense and great over all players, I think most people knew what I meant. Give Brett something to work with then I think we would be okay...we dont even have a semi great defense of semi great offense...they are both very poor..with everything poor on a team, how can a QB be good??

Favre used to make average or "poor" receivers look pretty good. We all know about Bill Schroder. I think this is a clear example of his play on the field actually declining. Doesn't mean he can't be good but it's a good example that he may not ever be as good as he was.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sigh....multiple times ive said im not 'totally' blaming favre about things, especially the record. I blame him as part of the problem on offense.

Yeah, nobody is ever 100% accurate, but during favres glory days he was accurate about 85% of the time, 2000-2003 around 75% and now hes around 65-70% accurate WITH a less powerful arm which doesnt help.

Its not favres fault, we all get old, and hes been taking a beating for 15 years! Its amazing it hasnt faded earlier.

edit - please dont examine my scientific numbers there too much, otherwise you would definitely be missing the point, which is this: nobody is ever 100% accurate ever, and favre has been declining. thank you. good day.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sigh....multiple times ive said im not 'totally' blaming favre about things, especially the record. I blame him as part of the problem on offense.

Yeah, nobody is ever 100% accurate, but during favres glory days he was accurate about 85% of the time, 2000-2003 around 75% and now hes around 65-70% accurate WITH a less powerful arm which doesnt help.

Its not favres fault, we all get old, and hes been taking a beating for 15 years! Its amazing it hasnt faded earlier.

YES now you said it,,,Favre is part blame not total blame...that is like every other QB in the league...they all have bad throws noone is perfect deadon every game they play...

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing the point. If all you're trying to say is that Favre isnt the athlete he was 10 years younger, I agree. If on the other hand you're extending that logic to mean his declining skills have reached a stage where they are hurting the team, I dont agree. There's lots that needs to be fixed and Favre's play certainly does need to be fixed as well but its not top of the list.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing the point. If all you're trying to say is that Favre isnt the athlete he was 10 years younger, I agree. If on the other hand you're extending that logic to mean his declining skills have reached a stage where they are hurting the team, I dont agree.

Declining skills(fading accuracy and power) + Gunslinger mentality = bad passing game

its as simple as that.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score

edit - please dont examine my scientific numbers there too much, otherwise you would definitely be missing the point, which is this: nobody is ever 100% accurate ever, and favre has been declining. thank you. good day.

couldn't have said it any better

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Brett has never had a completion percentage higher than 65.4% which he got in 2003.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero, are you trying out for the "Missed the Point" club? lol

lol i thought you'd like that ;)

I got the point though. I was jus throwing that little stat out there cuz you threw it out there. I had to know!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

YES now you said it,,,Favre is part blame not total blame...that is like every other QB in the league...they all have bad throws noone is perfect deadon every game they play...

ehh while you are right. Every QB makes a bad throw and every QB makes at least one or two in a game Favre's bad throws have been at an all time high. He's been off target ever since the win over the Vikings. From there on it's been completely down hill. New England game he was just awful and yes he was missing open receivers. Seattle was a tale of two halves. The Jets he was average at best. While it's unfair to put all the blame on him, you have to notice that there is something wrong with Favre. It's not just Favre is okay but the rest of the team stinks. It's something is wrong with Favre and something is wrong with this team. Either way they go hand in hand and this is hurting the Pack.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't suppose it'll happen but I bet that if someone got Favre alone in a room and asked his honest asessement of his ACCURACY lately he could honestly answer that he doesn't believe it has faded.

The problem he would say is that these younger guys aren't where they are expected to be more often than not.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Brett has never had a completion percentage higher than 65.4% which he got in 2003.

If you're using completion percentage to measure accuracy then the stats don't back up the claim either.

92 - 64.1
93 - 60.9
94 - 62.4
95 - 63.0
96 - 59.9
97 - 59.3
98 - 63.0
99 - 57.3
00 - 58.3
01 - 61.6
02 - 61.9
03 - 65.4
04 - 64.1
05 - 61.3

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
tromadz said:

ehh while you are right. Every QB makes a bad throw and every QB makes at least one or two in a game Favre's bad throws have been at an all time high. He's been off target ever since the win over the Vikings. From there on it's been completely down hill. New England game he was just awful and yes he was missing open receivers. Seattle was a tale of two halves. The Jets he was average at best. While it's unfair to put all the blame on him, you have to notice that there is something wrong with Favre. It's not just Favre is okay but the rest of the team stinks. It's something is wrong with Favre and something is wrong with this team. Either way they go hand in hand and this is hurting the Pack.

i agree wit hyou their is something wrong with favre, after the vikes game he got injured and thats when he started makeing bad throws. before that their wasnt really anything wrong with him.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
tromadz said:

i agree wit hyou their is something wrong with favre, after the vikes game he got injured and thats when he started makeing bad throws. before that their wasnt really anything wrong with him.

Yeah, its not like he set a record for interceptions last year. his problems started THIS year. right. :chalflag:

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're using completion percentage to measure accuracy then the stats don't back up the claim either.

92 - 64.1
93 - 60.9
94 - 62.4
95 - 63.0
96 - 59.9
97 - 59.3
98 - 63.0
99 - 57.3
00 - 58.3
01 - 61.6
02 - 61.9
03 - 65.4
04 - 64.1
05 - 61.3

Especially if you juxtapose passing attempts against those completion percentages. This year he leads the league in passing attempts and his completion percentage is 56.4%. The fact that its the lowest this year seems all the more marked becasue of the pass intensive offense that MM has the team running.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that doesnt take into account drops does it? or catches made that were really bad throws?

ur getting too much into the numbers which i asked you to not do or you'd be missing the point! argh!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
tromadz said:

92 - 64.1
93 - 60.9
94 - 62.4
95 - 63.0
96 - 59.9
97 - 59.3
98 - 63.0
99 - 57.3
00 - 58.3
01 - 61.6
02 - 61.9
03 - 65.4
04 - 64.1
05 - 61.3

They back up exactly what I claimed which was Brett never threw for better than 65.4! You listed the stats that SUPPORT my claim.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that doesnt take into account drops does it? or catches made that were really bad throws?

ur getting too much into the numbers which i asked you to not do or you'd be missing the point! argh!

It does take into account drops in that they show up as incompletions.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
porky88 said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
tromadz said:

Yeah, its not like he set a record for interceptions last year. his problems started THIS year. right. :chalflag:

those ints that he threw last year where about his desition makeing skills. i am talking about how his injuries might have effected his accuracy.

Members online

Latest posts