1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on Favre

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Dec 5, 2006.

1. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    MS was a control freak. He wanted to know what was going on Defensive wise every play which isn't bad but he's not a Defensive minded guy. Sherman really only let one guy (Bates) run things his way. The rest was done with the coordinators but Sherman made sure he had his say. In other words everyone but Bates was on a leash.

McCarthy is letting Sanders run the Defense and the Offense is his. He doesn't have Sanders on a short leash. McCarthy is to trustworthy and Sherman is to controlling. If only we could settle in the middle.

2. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I used the word "great" in my previous post, such as a great Defense, great Offense and great over all players, I think most people knew what I meant. Give Brett something to work with then I think we would be okay...we dont even have a semi great defense of semi great offense...they are both very poor..with everything poor on a team, how can a QB be good??

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Driver and Jennings are poor? Funny how nobody says that when favre is having an accurate day and those guys show they are anything but poor. interesting.

cmon, just admit hes not the same man. yes a lot of the team isnt very good, but dont short sell guys who are good cuz favre is lacking. thats not fair to driver and greg, and even ahman who is playing well somehow.

4. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Guess I have to clarify what I meant, I didnt mean DD or Jennings were bad players nor would I say that. I am saying the Packers team as a whole isnt good..there are "some" really good players...I love DD and Jennings those are the two play makers we have...but again I would trust DD more he is just more experienced.

5. dxbfan

dxbfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Trom, the glory years of the nineties and in fact as recently as the raiders game in 2003 werent just about great throws they were also about great catches.

6. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course Favre isnt the same man we all get wiser when we get older or we hope we do anyways..lol..

As for Favre being accurate, no hes not all the time accurate but neither are other QB's at times they have their good games and bad. And Favre isnt lacking talent...and you cannot put the blame totally on Favre either its takes the whole team to make plays come together not just a few or one...a QB can only do so much...

7. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Favre used to make average or "poor" receivers look pretty good. We all know about Bill Schroder. I think this is a clear example of his play on the field actually declining. Doesn't mean he can't be good but it's a good example that he may not ever be as good as he was.

8. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    sigh....multiple times ive said im not 'totally' blaming favre about things, especially the record. I blame him as part of the problem on offense.

Yeah, nobody is ever 100% accurate, but during favres glory days he was accurate about 85% of the time, 2000-2003 around 75% and now hes around 65-70% accurate WITH a less powerful arm which doesnt help.

Its not favres fault, we all get old, and hes been taking a beating for 15 years! Its amazing it hasnt faded earlier.

edit - please dont examine my scientific numbers there too much, otherwise you would definitely be missing the point, which is this: nobody is ever 100% accurate ever, and favre has been declining. thank you. good day.

9. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    YES now you said it,,,Favre is part blame not total blame...that is like every other QB in the league...they all have bad throws noone is perfect deadon every game they play...

10. dxbfan

dxbfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I'm missing the point. If all you're trying to say is that Favre isnt the athlete he was 10 years younger, I agree. If on the other hand you're extending that logic to mean his declining skills have reached a stage where they are hurting the team, I dont agree. There's lots that needs to be fixed and Favre's play certainly does need to be fixed as well but its not top of the list.

11. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Declining skills(fading accuracy and power) + Gunslinger mentality = bad passing game

its as simple as that.

12. Krazygangsta

Krazygangsta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    couldn't have said it any better

13. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Brett has never had a completion percentage higher than 65.4% which he got in 2003.

14. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Zero, are you trying out for the "Missed the Point" club? lol

15. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    lol i thought you'd like that ;)

I got the point though. I was jus throwing that little stat out there cuz you threw it out there. I had to know!!

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ehh while you are right. Every QB makes a bad throw and every QB makes at least one or two in a game Favre's bad throws have been at an all time high. He's been off target ever since the win over the Vikings. From there on it's been completely down hill. New England game he was just awful and yes he was missing open receivers. Seattle was a tale of two halves. The Jets he was average at best. While it's unfair to put all the blame on him, you have to notice that there is something wrong with Favre. It's not just Favre is okay but the rest of the team stinks. It's something is wrong with Favre and something is wrong with this team. Either way they go hand in hand and this is hurting the Pack.

17. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't suppose it'll happen but I bet that if someone got Favre alone in a room and asked his honest asessement of his ACCURACY lately he could honestly answer that he doesn't believe it has faded.

The problem he would say is that these younger guys aren't where they are expected to be more often than not.

18. vixtalkn

vixtalkn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using completion percentage to measure accuracy then the stats don't back up the claim either.

92 - 64.1
    93 - 60.9
    94 - 62.4
    95 - 63.0
    96 - 59.9
    97 - 59.3
    98 - 63.0
    99 - 57.3
    00 - 58.3
    01 - 61.6
    02 - 61.9
    03 - 65.4
    04 - 64.1
    05 - 61.3

19. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

i agree wit hyou their is something wrong with favre, after the vikes game he got injured and thats when he started makeing bad throws. before that their wasnt really anything wrong with him.

20. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, its not like he set a record for interceptions last year. his problems started THIS year. right. :chalflag:

21. dxbfan

dxbfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Especially if you juxtapose passing attempts against those completion percentages. This year he leads the league in passing attempts and his completion percentage is 56.4%. The fact that its the lowest this year seems all the more marked becasue of the pass intensive offense that MM has the team running.

22. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    that doesnt take into account drops does it? or catches made that were really bad throws?

ur getting too much into the numbers which i asked you to not do or you'd be missing the point! argh!

23. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

They back up exactly what I claimed which was Brett never threw for better than 65.4! You listed the stats that SUPPORT my claim.

24. dxbfan

dxbfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It does take into account drops in that they show up as incompletions.

25. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

those ints that he threw last year where about his desition makeing skills. i am talking about how his injuries might have effected his accuracy.