My thoughts on Favre

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CLICK HERE TO VOTE MY ARTICLE A ONE:

Time For A Change

by Tromadz

Brett Favre is a kid in a man’s body. Even his playing style is a youthful approach. The gunslinger. I loved the gunslinger. For years, the gunslinger provided entertainment and wins for Packers fans. He could hit a flying pigeon 30 yards away with that accurate canon of his. It seems age has finally caught up with the hall of fame quarterback however.

Favre has always relied on his accuracy and power. Nobody was better at using both than Favre for a very long time. But as the days turn to months turn to years, his accuracy is fading, and it seems his power is as well.

A quarterback that is an aggressive “gunslinger” who is losing his accuracy and power is one thing: a liability. Unfortunately this is no ordinary quarterback, this is Brett Favre. Nobody is in any hurry to push Favre out. Fans certainly don’t want to, except those who realize this and want the best for the organization.

The offensive players around Favre aren’t the best. The running game isn’t what it once was, but isn’t horribly bad by any means. He also has a growing and inconsistent offensive line in front of him. And besides Driver and Jennings, he has nobody with real name recognition. But since when did that matter? This is Brett Favre we’re talking about, not Jay Cutler. Favre has turned mediocre and average wide receivers into superstars and pro bowlers. Why can’t he do the same now? Oh yeah, because his accuracy and power are fading.

Favre enthusiasts refuse to believe it, and I can understand their loyalty to a certain extent. Some people are Brett fans 1st, and Packers fans 2nd. That is understandable. Brett created a lot of Packers fans. Favre fanatics blame everyone else. They will blame the GM, the head coach, the offensive line, the running backs, and the wide receivers. They will even blame defense and special teams, even though that area has nothing to do with Brett Favre and the quarterback position.

This isn’t about Brett Favre losing and winning games for the Packers. With the bad defense and special teams, Brett can only do what Brett can do, and for years that was being accurate and rifling powerful throws into spots only his wide receiver’s hands were. Those days are gone though.

The passing game of the Green Bay Packers is horrible. A big part of that reason is Brett Favre and his degression in key areas often present in youthful players. What good is a quarterback who plays aggressive, relies on pinpoint accuracy, and amazing power when that man isn’t very accurate anymore, and the power is a thing of the past?

Favre just doesn’t fit in with this team and the direction they are trying to go. Favre is at his best when he strays from the offensive script, but the success of this offense relies on staying to that script. When the Packers are down, Favre forces the issue, which is not a good habit when the special teams and defense can and do cause the team to be down early. The quarterback has to keep them in the game, not widen the deficit.

Green Bay needs a “game manager” at this point. Someone who will check down. Someone who will throw the ball away. Someone who will take the sack instead of chucking it up. Favre loves rifling the ball into impossible spots. Favre doesn’t like throwing the ball away, he believes in himself and his ability to get it to his wide receiver instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. The problem is this isn’t 1997 and he is not a young man with an amazing arm.

I am a fan of the Green Bay Packers, and I am also a fan of Brett Favre. I am wearing a faded #4 jersey as I type this (buy authentic, never replica. Ugh). This is where things get interesting. I love what Favre has provided for me and the team I support. I love his attitude and his toughness. I love his records and his streaks. Favre has said he doesn’t care about his records. His words are enough for me. I personally have no need to see him struggle to break records and have other streaks live on.

I am not a Favre-Basher. I am Packers fan with much love and admiration for Brett Favre. He is a big reason I am a Packers fan today, and will be in the future. It hurts to see him struggle, and the team lose. That is why it is time for a change.

I think the best thing for both parties is to part ways. While Favre is young at heart, and is loved by even rival fans, his talents are fading. Favre has talked about wanting to go out on his own terms, and not because of bad play, but that is exactly what is going to happen. The team around him isn’t very good, and his own skills are deteriorating. I want Favre to go out with the most respect possible, and that is as soon as possible.

------------------------------------------------
Those are just my thoughts and I know im in the minority. Now with most of my thoughts out there in one place, and not all over the forums, I wont be 'favre bashing' in all the threads. We all win!

Reaction score
Interesting read.

My critiques:

1. Favre's accuracy may have declined, and that is worrying. It may be the lingering effect of an injury, or it maybe the 37 year old has finnaly had father time catch up with him.

I am not so sure about your assertion that Favre has lost enough power, where he is at the point of hurting this team. He still has power (YES he has lost power), but his slight erosion of power still leaves him being within the top 10 QBs who are currently starting IMO.

2. Favre is having a terrible time passing. McCarthy needs to step up and DO WHAT HE SAID HE WOULD. As Havel said, Favre has the most pass attempts in the NFL. That means McCarthy has called the most pass plays to date. For a man preaching run, run, and yes more run, that is odd (to say the least). McCarthy has relied to much on Favre to pull through with below average talent (someone has to be blamed for having Chris "I hadn't heard my own name before - just like you" Francies and Ruvell "I have everything but speed to get open" Martin).

Driver is one player. Jennings has been playing hurt. Martin is too slow. Francies wasn't drafted for a reason. Franks is used to protect Favre almost all the time. David Martin is injured. Donald Lee is doing nothing. That leads us to a big problem, besides Driver, who CAN Favre throw to?

When the Packers strat trailing, Favre's competitive nature gets the best of him. However, that is what McCarthy was hired to do, serve as a level headed person to manage Favre. At the first sign of trouble, McCarthy throws away his run oriented philosophy and says to Favre "Ok big boy, go and pass your way out of this mess". Favre goes out, and tries to do too much. He throws an INT.

McCarthy needs to realize Favre isn't the same QB he was 5-6 years ago who can pull of magic. IMO McCarthy is over-relying on Favre to work his magic when it is clear Favre can't do it all alone anymore.

Let me state, I am saying Favre cannot be solely blamed for his terrible play. He HAS hurt this team lately, but there were ways which the hurt could have been limited.

I refuse to solely blame Favre for the recent slide of this team.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont agree with everything you've said Trom but do think that was both an eloquent and well thought out post. If as YY says, it means ridicule then I think thats a greater reflection on us members than what you have written.

Reaction score
Yeah, lets play ARod and see if he can do any better lol......

Clearly he did not raise that issue, and is stated no where in his article.

Why even bother to bring that point up when you know it is illogical, and not relevant to the article?

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for writing your opinion in a respectable manner. I partially agree that Favre has been inaccurate/less powerful as of late. The throw to Driver vs. the Jets that amounted to an interception would have been a touchdown 3 or 4 years ago. I agree with AADP that he is not the only reason for the Packers poor performances as well. It would be a reassuring feeling to know we had a young quarterback learning and developing with the team so that chemistry would grow from a young age, but I still can't imagine the Packers without Favre and am not saying I want Favre to retire.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because he is saying the best thing for both is to part ways and who is next in line? ARod thats who.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The passing game of the Green Bay Packers is horrible. A big part of that reason is Brett Favre and his degression in key areas often present in youthful players. What good is a quarterback who plays aggressive, relies on pinpoint accuracy, and amazing power when that man isn’t very accurate anymore, and the power is a thing of the past?
I would say the passing game is horrible because we don't have anybody ever open and Favre is always trying to force it to Driver..

Reaction score
because he is saying the best thing for both is to part ways and who is next in line? ARod thats who.

Actually he is in favour of Ingle.

But my original intent wasn't to be rude, rather to keep things relevant to the article becasue this type of debate has HUGE potential to end up with attacks and posters going at it with each other.

That is a fair assessment though, trom doesn't provide a suitable alternative (Martin would be his choice I assume, but what if he fails, given taht he is young and hasn't made headlines with "improvements" during practices, etc.)

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been a Favre fan since he was a 17-yr-old kid at USM. Few fans are as loyal or as rabid as I have been. But having followed him so closely for so long, I can't help but agree with much of what Trom is saying.

That "Favre magic" relied on accuracy, power and sheer guts. The guts, I believe, are still there. The accuracy and power are not. While he's doing fine on the shorter passes, his downrange accuracy–once his greatest weapon–is now a key weakness.

As much as I love the Packers, I would love to see Favre go to a team with true championship potential next year. I'd love to see him break all Marino's records, go deep into the playoffs and ride off into the sunset on a winning team. I believe he could still take a quality team to the top. But I think he's taken the current GB team as far as it's going to go.

As for the Packers, we have to make a QB change sooner or later. Sooner (as in after this season) may be better than later for all parties involved.
Will AR be our Tono Romo or Philip Rivers? I don't know, but there's only one way we'll ever find out.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that I read it I kind of agree. Kind of.

Say the Packers finish 7-9(winning 3 of 4 finishing strong), does he come back because he has as Mortenson says, "One of the 3 'H's, hope."

If they lose out I'd put money on him retiring. And then? It's Ingle time, baby

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best thing I got out of this read was "The "team" isnt very good" IMO thats accurate.

I know tromadz that you are not bashing Favre, and some of what you said is true. But again I will repeat myself, you cannot win a game with the "whole" team performing lousy. I am not saying Brett isnt part of the problem, but a small part. Give him some great recievers, a great defense and a great offense and we are in business. Not having a combination of all three the team will suck. Some of his interceptions have been where the reciever isnt where he is suppose to be, yes and others were Bretts fault, but give me one QB that is perfect..noone is...every QB in the league has thrown interceptions, not just Brett alone.

At least we have a QB that has been there for us through thick and thin, who is conpeitive, a good leader, and yes a gun slingler with a great arm.

GO Brett and Go Pack!!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CLICK HERE TO VOTE MY ARTICLE A ONE:

Time For A Change

by Tromadz

Favre enthusiasts refuse to believe it, and I can understand their loyalty to a certain extent. Some people are Brett fans 1st, and Packers fans 2nd. That is understandable. Brett created a lot of Packers fans. Favre fanatics blame everyone else. They will blame the GM, the head coach, the offensive line, the running backs, and the wide receivers. They will even blame defense and special teams, even though that area has nothing to do with Brett Favre and the quarterback position.

Hell, they will even blame Bears fans for seeing the same thing that the rest of the leauge already knows.

Nice job Trom

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame MM but I do find it interesting how at the beginning of the season the MM supporters were all praising how MM would control Brett and coach him instead of just giving Brett free will like MS did. Now some of those same people are saying the coach has nothing to do with it. I'm not ragging on anyone just raising an interesting point.

Rest of my reply can be seen on Trom's original post!

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just Brett's fault for this team faliure, the whole team need to improve not just Brett. Look at the bears right now at 10-2 and Grossman is playing like crap????

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett wouldn't have half the interceptions he currently has, if McCarthy actually ran the football. There were several situations on 3rd and 1 and even 4th and 1 where he would throw the ball.

I actually read an article earlier, where under Mike McCarthy's play calling the Packers have passed more than any other team in the NFL.

What happend to his pledge that Green Bay would be a run first offense!?!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I like the ball in Ahman Greens hands. I think he and Driver have been the most consistent players on the team this year. Per offense that is.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the ball in Favre's hands on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down and 10=not a good idea.
Ball in Favre's hand on playaction 2nd and 5=great idea

this is true.....favre said in the begning of the year he does not like 3rd nad 10.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The ball in Favres hands = not a great idea.

As opposed to who? Ingle Martin? Get real.

As I've said time and time again, Ingle Martin will be nothing more than a career backup. He couldn't keep his job at Florida, what makes you think he'll be anything else?

Members online

Latest posts