My Thoughts Around Week 5

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Philadelphia at Buffalo

Give it to the Bills, they are playing real football for the first time in a long wait from these fans. The Eagles prove just why they are the most overrated team in all of Sports. Michael Vick picked off 4 times, the Bills defense is racking up interceptions and starting to look really good. Philadelphia's defense cannot stop the run at all, and by the looks of it, they suck at preventing the screen passes too (New Orleans would have a field day screening to Sproles against them)

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a really good quarterback that gets no credit. Pour it all on overrated garbage like Vick, Romo, or Kolb, but this Fitzpatrick guy is a winner, and he's proving it. Fred Jackson also is a monster on this offense.

New Orleans at Carolina

Divisional rivalry seems to be getting stronger between these two. Knew it would be close since they know each other so well. Brees did his thing, Newton had some amazing plays with scrambling to escape pressure but still only 50% completion rate. I think the Saints defense is getting better by game, but they are letting teams stick around in the 4th quarter (last week Jacksonville could have come back but also screwed around). They're getting better and going to be a great threat to the NFC. Jimmy Graham is one of the best Tight Ends in the game, and with just a few minutes left, Brees is a quarterback you can trust to get down the field and score the game winning touchdown.

I find Carolina to become a better team in years to come. Their defense is going to get better, and as long as they get some new weapons for their young gun slinger, they're on the right road. As much as I love the Saints, I hope they fix the 4th quarter and stop letting teams linger around with the scoreboard. Saints are onto something at 4-1, and are a big threat.

Oakland at Houston

This was a very emotional game, Raiders were playing for Al, and he would have been proud of them. To see this team get so emotional after the win in the lockerroom, and Davis' own son teary eyed was a touching scene. I hope the Raiders make the playoffs for Al, and this game was played until the very end. The Texans also did not give up. Both of these teams could very well be in the playoffs, good effort by both of them but the edge goes to the Raiders.

One thing not really talked about is Oakland's defense. They are playing better than last season, and when they beat the Jets like they did, that's when people should have started praising this defense.

Kansas City at Indianapolis

After going up 17 to nothing, you probably believed the Colts finally would get a win. I don't know what went wrong here, but something is wrong with them on everything. It's not just your quarterback when Painter didn't do that bad, it's all around. I know better not to brag on the Colts defense now. Nice comeback by the Chiefs, the catch by Dwayne Bowe was amazing.

Some are blaming the coaching staff, but now it's obvious, the Colts have some holes all around, not just quarterback position but defense too, and running game.

Cincinatti at Jacksonville

Two bad teams, one bad score. Andy Dalton replacing Carson Palmer is really helping the Bengals. I know some people really liked Palmer, but I found him to be very overrated, all those picks last season proved it. Andy Dalton is growing up fast, but the Bengals problems I think are head coach and the cheapness of their owner. Jacksonville has one good player; Maurice Jones-Drew. Blaine Gabbert already has a cocky attitude by fumbling a snap and *****ing his center out about it.

Bengals probably will finish below 8-8, but they've got a younger team, and while I don't expect them to give their division much competetion, if they got a new coach they'd be up front to give the Ravens and Squealers trouble.

Arizona at Minnesota

Looks like the Vikings finally managed to finish a game. Just like every other game, they start out really strong, but at least this time they played 4 full quarters. Looks like play calling is improving, yet they are lacking some other strengths. Adrian Peterson clearly is their best offensive weapon. The Cardinals are not that good, I think everyone gets that now.

I've said it a hundred times, and now I believe it's a known fact: KEVIN KOLB IS OVERRATED!!! I knew it when he threw 3 interceptions against the Saints in 2009. I knew it last season when Clay layed him out of a game. ESPN is run by some ****ing morons when they said he's the next Kurt Warner. Any quarterback that comes from Philly is overrated, I'll just say that's why they thought he was so great while guys with better numbers (Fitzpatrick) get no media attention.

Tennessee at Pittsburgh

This was a must win for the Squealers, and they pulled it out easily. I'm still not sold on them being all that great, but they did win. Chris Johnson got his money and is cool to lay down with 14 carries for 51 yards after every other team has simply ran all over the Steelers. Think home field helped the Steelers win, had it been closer, you could expect the refs to help them out.

Just what Pittsburgh needed, a game to boost their hopes and momentum up on an easy schedule. They'll wipe the floor with Jacksonville probably. Tennessee needs to adjust, but right now I am laughing at them. Their fans told me CJ2K would be the next Earl Campbell. He's got his money and now he don't give a ****! Next Earl? ***** Dream on!

Tampa Bay at San Francisco

It's a official, you can mark the Buc's off your feared list. I had a bad feeling about this last week when they struggled against the Colts, now I know I was right. 49ers haven't scored 48 or more points since Joe Cool was in town! What is wrong with TB? Everyone thinks they are so damn great like Atlanta without thinking of how easy their schedule was last season, are they really who we thought they were?

Jim Harbaugh is turning the 49ers around. I didn't expect it, but I'll be a good sport and eat my own words, they look like they could win the division. Good for them, and good for Alex Smith actually playing damn good lately.

San Diego at Denver

Oh My God, Tebow threw 10 passes, let's focus all the media coverage on him cause nothing else matters, like Denver's Defense picking off Rivers and giving these guys a hard time.San Diego is NOT all that good. Sorry, but they are not a team that really threatens me. They let teams hang around in easy win situations (sorta like New Orleans) and as many people say Rivers is better than Rodgers despite the clutch wins and super bowl ring, he turns the ball over more, and still don't prove to me he's "better than Rodgers" sorry Deion Sanders, you are wrong!

Tebow hit 4 out of 10 (40%) and had a lucky rushing touchdown and passing touchdown. Let's make sure he gets all the media coverage and the only thing we talk about for a week.He played OK, still trying to run instead of pass. We'll see how he's the best quarterback ever when they play Miami (which I doubt he'll even hit 60% of his passes against a bad team)

NY Jets at New England

Hey Rex Ryan, you still going to the Super Bowl? You still think our defense last season would have lost to your ****** offense had you made the Super Bowl? The Jets predictable offense, did as I predicted. Run to the left, run to the right, play-action, run to the right....New England's defense really does suck. People ragging on our Defense need to go watch tape of the Super bad *** Patriots defense. Took 6 guys to bring Shone Greene down on one run. They let Sanchez get by with some stuff. It's generally not a good sign when your defense can't get a turnover on a quarterback that already has 5 interceptions and 4 lost fumbles.

The Patriots offense is going to be their strength through out the season again. Jets simple as can be, are just not that great. They've got a tough schedule that should do them in for weeks to come. New England's defensive problems are gonna lead them in some high scoring shootouts like the Buffalo game. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a game due to their passing defense.

Green Bay at Atlanta

Shaky start, put the fear down your spine, but the Packers proved why you trust Mccarthy (Kicking field goals and not going for it on 4th down), why you trust Rodgers (when there is dropped passes and also the third down conversions), and why you trust the defense (giving up 14 points, making you scared). Packers played this game very patiently, and didn't get too scared like some teams would. Atlanta played one half, and just like that, they were done. Matty Ice ain't no Aaron Rodgers!

The player of this game is Rodgers. Shaking off blitzes, and something I doubt will get much limelight is the 3rd down conversions. 3rd and 10, 3rd and 3, 3rd and 6. it don't matter, he got the job done when it matters the most. They'd put pressure all around him like the play offs, and he just shakes it off and does his thing. We have the best quarterback in the NFL and tonight proved it.

Chicago at Detroit

Heated rivalry that was very one sided as the tables have turned to finally favor an underdog of many years. This game had some BS calls here and there, but both teams were playing a bit sloppy with penalties. Detroit allowed the Bears to get by with some things they haven't gotten by with in a long time, then Chicago some how let them get by with a run that only Barry Sanders would be able to do. Big problems for Chicago, and this time it ain't just Jay Cutler, it's their super awesome defense that has made it a bit hard to believe they were fearful last season.

Other than Megatron and Stafford, the Lions defensive line looks really good. They play sloppy in the first half, then come out all guns blazing in the second half. Was an OK game, Chicago had their chances, but didn't take them. One play I want to talk about is the 4th and 1 go for it that they did not get. How many times have seen the Bears in the last 2 years go for it on 4th down situations and not get it? Then it always comes back to haunt them. I remember a specific one when they played us in week 16 of last season. If you can't get it on 4th and 1, just punt the ball.

If you have thoughts around games from last week, post your own. I'm reviewing all games of every week to make my own opinions on teams, players, and stats instead of having ESPN tell me what to believe.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Green Bay at Atlanta

Shaky start, put the fear down your spine, but the Packers proved why you trust Mccarthy (Kicking field goals and not going for it on 4th down), why you trust Rodgers (when there is dropped passes and also the third down conversions), and why you trust the defense (giving up 14 points, making you scared). Packers played this game very patiently, and didn't get too scared like some teams would. Atlanta played one half, and just like that, they were done. Matty Ice ain't no Aaron Rodgers!

The player of this game is Rodgers. Shaking off blitzes, and something I doubt will get much limelight is the 3rd down conversions. 3rd and 10, 3rd and 3, 3rd and 6. it don't matter, he got the job done when it matters the most. They'd put pressure all around him like the play offs, and he just shakes it off and does his thing. We have the best quarterback in the NFL and tonight proved it.
I thought the start was pretty much as I thought it might be. They have been game planning all year for us and the first drive was scripted well. Grant gave them a short field and they probably had a few plays left over from the script and then it was all a mess for them. Never put a scare down my spine but I get what you're saying.
I think it took huge nads for McCarthy to go for the 56 yarder. It tells you that they still think the world of Crosby and I'm loving this guy too.
I like how you pointed out they never got nervous, that sir, is why they will never have a trap game. They are good enough to come from behind against the Falcons, a superb home team and win.
For all of you who worry about the defense, this was the game to understand they will be formidable before the season's end (barring injury, for heaven's sake, when will it end?)

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Sorry to Bogart your thread Bogart but I just wanted to point out that the Packers have pretty much gone through the NFC playoffs AGAIN without a loss. We even beat New Orleans which many will point to last year and say we were lucky not to have faced. I suppose we can hope for a playoff game against Seattle and Philly to say we ran the table but they both suck so probably no such luck.
I know, it's a new year but anybody looking for a Super Bowl hangover and those who say it's near impossible to repeat have to ask who else the Packers have to beat? This concludes my week 5 thoughts.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I could write an essay on the Atlanta game, for it was the only game I got to watch all the way through (Didn't get the Saints since Mediacom still refuses to make a deal with Fox, but did watch the last 2 Saints drives)

There's a lot of changes going on with the Atlanta game, you can talk about. The use of play action was done great.

We held Matt Ryan to just 157 passing yards, when previously we had trouble with the pass, that's a big plus

My favorite however is the 3rd down conversions by Rodgers. 3rd down is the most important in the game, and he was nailing it all night long.

Members online

Latest posts