My take on first pre-season game

Status
Not open for further replies.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good News:
1. Aaron Rodgers looked good, more relaxed and in control of offense. Made some nice throws and is about ready to start whenever Favre leaves or gets benched.
2. Jennings looked great and like an experienced receiver already. Reminds me of Freeman.
3. Hawk looked much better, in on most plays and lateral speed to catch RB was impressive.
4. Herron looked good running ball and will be a capable backup.
5. Thank God for NFL network so we can see games over again and look at things.

Bad news:
1. OL did not give much protection and were overpowered and seemed lost. Still young and hopefully will start to gel.
2. Favre did not impress me. Seemed slow in setting up and escaping rushers. He did not have much time however and defense was keying on him.
3. Overall effort was not great (other than Hawk) and seemed like we were going threw the motions. However, this was first preseason and lots of subs in game that probably won't be here when season starts.
4. DL gave little pressure and seemed pretty immobile against SD OL. Rivers had a lot of time.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah favre didnt seem like favre... BUT he had very little time, and i think he had "preseason" in his head... another words i think he was more worried about staying alive than gettin a pass off or tryin to win a game ya know.

All in all i think the OL was obviously the worst part....everything centers around them coming together... which i have full faith they will begin to do next week against atlanta.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PaxVogel said,
Good News:
1. Aaron Rodgers looked good, more relaxed and in control of offense. Made some nice throws and is about ready to start whenever Favre leaves or gets benched.

Aaron Rodgers was playing against SD's second stringers!!!

and also said,
2. Favre did not impress me. Seemed slow in setting up and escaping rushers. He did not have much time however and defense was keying on him.

Gee, you think that might have had something to do with it? :roll: :roll:

Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Aaron Rodgers was playing against SD's second stringers!!!

Rodgers was also playing along with second stringers of the Pack, not to mention the fact that his decision making was more than respectable for a guy only starting his 2nd year, and ONLY 22 years old.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Rodgers was also playing along with second stringers of the Pack, not to mention the fact that his decision making was more than respectable for a guy only starting his 2nd year, and ONLY 22 years old.

thats what i mean.... theres no need to get upset that someone thinks favre could have played better, and theres definetly no point in gettin mad that someone said aaron rodgers was doing quite well. and you bring up a good point also. Rodgers was playing with the second stringers and i think the kid is gonna be very decent for us in the coming years.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

thats what i mean.... theres no need to get upset that someone thinks favre could have played better, and theres definetly no point in gettin mad that someone said aaron rodgers was doing quite well. and you bring up a good point also. Rodgers was playing with the second stringers and i think the kid is gonna be very decent for us in the coming years.

No one was getting upset because Rodgers played well against the second team in a pre-season game. Although I think it's a tad early to annoint him as the second coming of Johnny U., but that's me.

What I do take offense at is when a Packer "fan" suggests that Rodgers is ready to go "when" Favre gets benched this year, which is what this poster suggested.

Seems to me there's a bit of a desire by some posters here to see Favre benched in favor of Rodgers. You may be ok with that, but I'm not. Rodgers still has to earn that right.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sad to say, tom but i think we're gonna have to get used to hearing stuff like "when they bench favre". the very idea makes me physically ill!! just wait til we lose a couple more & they'll be coming outta the woodwork. :(

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What....are we the Minnesota Packers? Too many fans seemingly have never experienced anything but the last decade plus (minus last year, of course) and have no experience with losing. Kinda like a kid that needs to learn the bumps and bruises of life so that reality does not shock them when it hits them.

Reality in the NFL is that you will have up times and down times....hell, the league is DESIGNED to create that environment.....and people are still suprised about it.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
What....are we the Minnesota Packers? Too many fans seemingly have never experienced anything but the last decade plus (minus last year, of course) and have no experience with losing. Kinda like a kid that needs to learn the bumps and bruises of life so that reality does not shock them when it hits them.

Reality in the NFL is that you will have up times and down times....hell, the league is DESIGNED to create that environment.....and people are still suprised about it.

couldn't have said it better myself, digsy! get used to it guys - this is what it's like to root for a (dare i say it) team that is rebuilding!!!!!

i'm used to it cause i'm old enuf to remember the 70's & 80's when we were the whippee's instead of the whippers!!

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the 70-80's as well and I guess my biggest problem with us right now is we weren't in need of a overhaul. We just needed a couple of pieces and we wouldn't skip a beat. And best as I can tell we are still missing those pieces.

But I'm not the one making those decisions.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
I remember the 70-80's as well and I guess my biggest problem with us right now is we weren't in need of a overhaul. We just needed a couple of pieces and we wouldn't skip a beat. And best as I can tell we are still missing those pieces.

But I'm not the one making those decisions.

I would love to know what "Few pieces" is all we needed to not skip a beat so that I could use an example of how ONE INJURY, not including BF, would throw our chances for success with the roster we had out the window.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
No one was getting upset because Rodgers played well against the second team in a pre-season game. Although I think it's a tad early to annoint him as the second coming of Johnny U., but that's me.

What I do take offense at is when a Packer "fan" suggests that Rodgers is ready to go "when" Favre gets benched this year, which is what this poster suggested.

Seems to me there's a bit of a desire by some posters here to see Favre benched in favor of Rodgers. You may be ok with that, but I'm not. Rodgers still has to earn that right.

no one said rodgers was the next johnny u, no one even said he was the next joey harrington, just that he looked good in his time.

If Favre is benched wouldnt that mean Rodgers earned it??? So if Favre throws 110 interceptions (which i am placing as the number he is allowed to throw before being benched, because i love him) Your saying Rodgers shouldnt come in Bretts place because, he hasnt earned it??? I love Favre as much as you there budro.... but as soon as Brett throws his 111 int. i think Rodgers earns a start. but maybe im crazy.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh for the love a pete!!! ok, ok...IF favre throws 110 interceptions (cough, cough, gag, gag) then MM should put in rodgers. happy now??

nobody here is saying there's no way rodgers should EVER be put in. give respect where respect is due to favre - those who don't are (p@ck66) INGRATES!!!!!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the game for the second time, I think Favre did much better than I originally thought. Especially as he continued. He was getting back into the speed of things. He made some great throws. There was a bad one which was behind C.Rodgers and the over throw to Driver in the endzone but I thought he looked good. The OL was very Offensive to watch. Hard to play run game on 2-18 or 3-29. The DL was alright but was very mediocre once Kampman left. Montgomery is a liability. Seems like he was playing one on one drills, get around the tackle and then get bouced by the second blocker. Our LB's are fast but cannot cover. We have mucho work to do with the OL. Ahmad Caroll could have been called for defensive holding on almost every play. Ryan can kick the sh!! out of a football. AR would rather run than find an open receiver. I thought Hawk outplayed Hodge. Hodge needs to really work on his pass coverage though, its tough for anyone to cover a 6'4"+ TE.
Overall the team did alright and besides a couple plays here and there, I'm not that frazled. The OL is still the shakiest part of our team. Now they're mixing up the front 5 again.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre had a bad preseason game(compared to a-rod) the packers will struggle, favre sucks and should have been replaced in the offseason. TT messed up

(I love making fun of people who actually believe this line of thinking, based off 1 preseason game. lol.)

Reaction score
tromadz said:
Favre had a bad preseason game(compared to a-rod) the packers will struggle, favre sucks and should have been replaced in the offseason. TT messed up

(I love making fun of people who actually believe this line of thinking, based off 1 preseason game. lol.)

- Fact: sarcasm gets old after a while.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

- Fact: sarcasm gets old after a while.

No, their stupidity gets mocked till it stops. If you dont like it..

* Edited by Ryan - NO ONE here will mock the mods. Consider this fair warning.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Classic Trom. It's funny that you think people do not see through this. You are taking the most EXTREME side of the opinion opposite your own, to further help validate your side. It's pathetic and I think people have the right to post thier opinions without you taking everything they say out of context because you are emotionally unstable.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people dont see through it? Yeah that makes sense, considering I admitted it. LOL!

I stopped reading after that line, cuz as usual you aren't making sense.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone chill.

Trom lay off the sarcasm, everyone has a right to post thier thoughts. If I wasn't the "admin" of the site and posted my poor knowledge of our team I would get shredded as well, it's not fun.

My life doesn't revolve around this team, football etc, and I have been to dozens of games, have 8 season tickets etc etc etc and I still don't know a lot about the workings of a football team and what it REALLY takes to compete. Sure I can watch a game and understand what is going on, but I have never been in the trenches myself.

In addition to loving the team and coming here to talk about them a lot of people, myself included are here to learn, and the sarcasm does not help contribute to the environment in any fashion. There is a time and place for it, tone it down a bit please.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts