My NFC playoff power rankings

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
1. Cowboys - Their D is dominating and Romo is playing great pitch and catch with Clayton.
2. Packers - Momentum, D is playing great, running game seems to have gotten started and Rogers is playing great.
3. Minnesota - Farve seems to have gotten back on track albeit against a atrocious Giants team that just wanted to go home and take a nap by the fire. Still a lot of questions here after going 2-3 the last 5 games. Peterson who?
4. Cardinals - Weak Division and couldn't do anything on offense against the Pack even before they pulled their starters.
5. Philadelphia - Shutout in Dallas. Just plain awful. A few weeks ago they were being crowned NFC champs.. How fast things change in the NFL.
6. New Orleans - What can you say but total collapse. Lost their last 3. Sad as I'd like to have seen the Saints win it all (after the Packers that is).

Just my impression of which teams are playing the best ball right now and how I would rank them Power wise in the seeding.

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Cowboys - Their D is dominating and Romo is playing great pitch and catch with Clayton.
2. Packers - Momentum, D is playing great, running game seems to have gotten started and Rogers is playing great.
3. Minnesota - Farve seems to have gotten back on track albeit against a atrocious Giants team that just wanted to go home and take a nap by the fire. Still a lot of questions here after going 2-3 the last 5 games. Peterson who?
4. Cardinals - Weak Division and couldn't do anything on offense against the Pack even before they pulled their starters.
5. Philadelphia - Shutout in Dallas. Just plain awful. A few weeks ago they were being crowned NFC champs.. How fast things change in the NFL.
6. New Orleans - What can you say but total collapse. Lost their last 3. Sad as I'd like to have seen the Saints win it all (after the Packers that is).

Just my impression of which teams are playing the best ball right now and how I would rank them Power wise in the seeding.

Good analysis ........ The problems arrive when you realize that the NFL playoffs are sudden-death........ Lose once & you are finished ........... Turnovers become the key to advancing in the playoffs ............ Anyone of the NFC teams could advance to the SB as long as their turnovers don't kill them ...........

BF's last 9 playoff appearances as a Packer resulted in a 3-6 record ....... The key turnovers by BF led to GB's ouster & no SB appearances .......... I have confidence those days are now part of Packer history as is Faver.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The list is pretty good. The packers and the cowboys have the momemtum, so let's dream of the NFC championship in the Frozen Tundra. :drinks:

But i see it as Green_Bay_Packers, the Saints had nothing to prove and will definitely have a shot in the playoffs.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But i see it as Green_Bay_Packers, the Saints had nothing to prove and will definitely have a shot in the playoffs.
They have a shot like any other playoff-team, but they had something to prove against the cowboys and the bucs, considering the fact that, by then, their No. 1 wasn't wrapped up. Actually if your starters play, with something on the line, and you lose two consecutive games, that's not what you call momentum.
But then again, anythig is possible.
Anyway, I like it that all the big networks see the Packers around 4 or 5 in the NFC. Being the underdog is always a good thing.

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
The list is pretty good. The packers and the cowboys have the momemtum, so let's dream of the NFC championship in the Frozen Tundra. :drinks:

The list is just my impression of how teams are playing so far up to this point. Next week it all could change when the do or die games start.

Since Dallas won their division and GB ended up facing them in the Championship game, GB would have to go to Dallas. That isn't a bad thing actually. Cowboy Stadium isn't loud at all (bad acoustics) and Rogers seems like he doesn't play nearly as well in the cold (like most QBs).

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Power Rankings is that they do NOT take match-ups into account - so, they're really very inaccurate.

For example, how can the Cowboys be ahead of the Packers who beat the Boyz? And, how can Minnesota be below Green bay, who beat the Packers TWICE???

I'm gonna continue to harp on this until other people grab the pumpkin and run with it. Let's break new ground here, fellas.

MNPackAttack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Power Rankings is that they do NOT take match-ups into account - so, they're really very inaccurate.

For example, how can the Cowboys be ahead of the Packers who beat the Boyz? And, how can Minnesota be below Green bay, who beat the Packers TWICE???

I'm gonna continue to harp on this until other people grab the pumpkin and run with it. Let's break new ground here, fellas.

i have to agree. even though the packers have the momentum advantage, the vikings did beat them twice. we beat the cowboys too, so that should be taken into account. the top three should be
1. saints
2. vikings
3.packers.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But don't you think, the two match-ups against the queens aren't that meaningful? I mean, the Packers are a complete other team, than they were, when they faced the queens! Maybe, i'm a little bit too optimistic, but i think another game packer vs. queens would be pretty 50/50.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But don't you think, the two match-ups against the queens aren't that meaningful? I mean, the Packers are a complete other team, than they were, when they faced the queens! Maybe, i'm a little bit too optimistic, but i think another game packer vs. queens would be pretty 50/50.

I really don't believe the Packers are a much different team because even though Kampman is old news, they're scheme remains the same - which is why the current Vikings team can find success against them.

My beliefs are that match ups are what makes or breaks a particular NFL ball club nowadays. Let's face it - if Minnesota has to face Arizona again this season, they're toast and Vikings' fans should be happy Carolina didn't make the playoffs!

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are a way different team now than they were before when we played. Capers was still feeling out the players for what roll he wanted them to play in the "D" and now I think he has that set. Also the "O" Line was having a lot of issues and recievers and QB were not really on the same page. But now I think after the horrible loss to the Bucs everyone got in gear and everything seems in Sync now.

And lets not forget 3rd time is the charm.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I think the Packers are a way different team now than they were before when we played. Capers was still feeling out the players for what roll he wanted them to play in the "D" and now I think he has that set. Also the "O" Line was having a lot of issues and recievers and QB were not really on the same page. But now I think after the horrible loss to the Bucs everyone got in gear and everything seems in Sync now.

And lets not forget 3rd time is the charm.

Every team in the Play Offs are a different team than they were when the season was only mid ways ...

However, Play Off games are (as I've said numerous times) quite different from regular season games ...

As recent history has showed, it doesn't really matter *how* you get into the play offs, as long as you get there ... - Once *IN* the play offs, anything can happen ... It all boils down to what team has "the better day" ...

And to put a "reverse" angle on it ... Last time the Packers were in the play offs, they pretty much routed the Seahawks in the first game and hosting the NFCC game one week later at Lambeau being huge favourites ... Only to lose to a Giants team, that had stumbled into the play offs but a Giants team that "caught fire" while playing in the play offs ...

Point being ... Once the play offs starts, all bets are off and even those teams that the experts "predicted" have been entering the play offs in a slump, will be dangerous, just like the other teams that are in ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see an "Arizona" or "NYG" this year. If Carolina had made it, I might have jumped onto their bandwagon, but the teams that are in are all beatable, but by whom???

I'm really excited to see how the first round shakes out. If Philly can take Dallas out, batten down the hatches, ladies. :)

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see an "Arizona" or "NYG" this year. If Carolina had made it, I might have jumped onto their bandwagon, but the teams that are in are all beatable, but by whom???

I'm really excited to see how the first round shakes out. If Philly can take Dallas out, batten down the hatches, ladies. :)

why do you keep bringing up NYG you know that they didn't make the play off at all right, I seen one other thread that you brought them up as well. I just wanted to make sure you knew that they are no way in the play offs.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why do you keep bringing up NYG you know that they didn't make the play off at all right, I seen one other thread that you brought them up as well. I just wanted to make sure you knew that they are no way in the play offs.

Wow - I had no idea??? Are you certain about his???

All sarcasm aside, I was referring to the Cardinals of last season the Giants the year before as wildcard teams that dominated their competition in the playoffs - basically stating that I do not feel there are any of "those" sorts of teams in this season's playoffs and by that I mean teams that are really being given no chance. This season, just about every team is being given a shot.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
POWER RANKINGS!!! OOO OOO I WANNA TRY!!!

1. Minnesota - Yeah. I went there. Favre is playing out of his mind, they still have one of the best running backs in the league, and their defense is still spectacular. They are the very definition of a complete team. Compound that with the fact that their little losing streak obviously refocused them, and they get a week off, I don't see them losing until they get to the Super Bowl (I think San Diego is better).

2. Green Bay - Dominant offense. Maybe the best offense in the NFC. My issue with them, the issue that keeps me from putting them ahead of Minnesota, is that the pass defense isn't good. 503 yards from the Steelers passing attack, we all remember Favre owning us, our pass D isn't good against good passing teams. Still, I think the offense is good enough to carry us past Arizona and from there who knows?

3. Dallas - No team comes in playing as well as Dallas. 2 shutouts in a row from their defense, Romo is on fire, they found their running game, i'm buying in. They dominated then unbeaten New Orleans for 90% of that game, they just shut out Philly who many people said was the best team in the NFC at the time, it's hard to argue against them.

4. New Orleans - Which team shows up in a couple weeks? The team that played good defense and great offense like they did a month ago against New England? Or the team that Tampa Bay knocked off and comes into the playoffs backsliding in on a 3 game losing streak? Certainly capable of beating any team in these playoffs when they're on their game, the question becomes if they can regain their swagger after the bye.

5. Philly - Ask me a week ago and they're number 1. Dallas manhandled them. Another team that's nearly unstoppable when they're on, it's just a question of which team shows up. This team was beaten by the Raiders once this year, for God's sakes.

6. Arizona - Not enough defense, terribly inconsistent on offense. I'm not going to say they can't go on another run like last year, but I just simply don't see it. Sure, they could come out and play the entire postseason like they played the Vikings, but they could also play like they did against the 49ers just a week after the Minnesota game. A big boom or bust pick, because they almost always play either excellent or terrible. I don't think they're capable of an average game.

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score

Cause the Cowboys D is insane right now. two shutouts (granted one against Washington) in a row!! That is impressive as hell.

Vikies have lost 3 of their last 5!

GB is playing better football than the Vikings imo at this time.

Therefore, imo.

1. Cowboys
2. Packers
3. Vikings

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
POWER RANKINGS!!! OOO OOO I WANNA TRY!!!

1. Minnesota - Yeah. I went there. Favre is playing out of his mind, they still have one of the best running backs in the league, and their defense is still spectacular. They are the very definition of a complete team. Compound that with the fact that their little losing streak obviously refocused them, and they get a week off, I don't see them losing until they get to the Super Bowl (I think San Diego is better).

I like all your points, the only one I have an issue with is the Peterson one. One of the Best RBs in the league statement? That really hasn't been proven this year at all. In fact, he looks human to me this season. Honestly, you could pop Ryan Grant into Peterson's spot and you wouldn't see that much of a difference. Both are averaging 4.4 yards per carry. Considering the Offensive line woes GB had early one Ryan Grant has done a great job.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I like all your points, the only one I have an issue with is the Peterson one. One of the Best RBs in the league statement? That really hasn't been proven this year at all. In fact, he looks human to me this season. Honestly, you could pop Ryan Grant into Peterson's spot and you wouldn't see that much of a difference. Both are averaging 4.4 yards per carry. Considering the Offensive line woes GB had early one Ryan Grant has done a great job.

Based of this season stats alone, to say that Adrian Peterson isn't (still) one of the leagues very best Running Backs would be borderline ignorant ...

I really can't understand how people can say what they say about Peterson with a straight face ... Granted he hasn't had as many yards from scrimmage running as he has had previous seasons, however, the number of carries is also far less ... Not to mention the increased numbers of receiving yards ...

I honestly think part of the success Favre has had this season can be *directly* contributed to the mere presence of AD in the back field ... Teams *still* (wonder why) focus on Peterson regardless ... - IF Peterson wasn't "as dominant" as some people claim he isn't ... then this wouldn't be the case ... Every single team the Vikings have faced this season have been focusing on the running game first, passing game secondary ...

AD compared to Grant is like comparing Apples and Oranges really ... Grant is a very capable and talented back, however he is no where near the league of AD (yet ?) ...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Ap has been crap this year!

The stats dont lie!

Stats ? ... Which stats ?

The one that says he is second in rushing ?

The one that says he is first in rushing TDs ?

Or are you referring to the stat about his (less than *his* last season) average yard pr. carry ?

Are you even looking at his receiving yards this season ?

Right ... Then most running backs in the league would be considered "crap" ?

Since Ryan Grant ranks below AD, that must mean that Grant is "crap" as well ? ... Because from where I'm sitting, Grant has had a rather spectacular season ... Putting alot of the critique that (you among others) railed on him last season ...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Look at his yards in some of the matchups its all in front of you!

He has been crap compared to last season!

Look at week 11 through 17 this year No 100 Yards!

Thats a great RB

GET OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!

LOL ... *chuckles*

So in your (deluded?) illogical mind, a running back needs to have XX "100+ yards" games, in order to be "succesful" ? ...

I thought you said "stats don't lie" ?

Again, please show me where AD has been "crap" this season ... Granted AD hasn't had as stellar as a season as previously, however to say that he has been crap is ignorant at best ...

Members online

Latest posts