My Mock Draft 1-5 (First Time be gentle)

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Rd 1- Whitney Mercilus - OLB - Illinois
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He might be classified as a one hit wonder but I'm confident in his ability to command some attention from teams to alleviate pressure on Matthews and provide an upgrade in our pass rush

Rd 2- Jared Crick - DE/DT - Nebraska

Another player to help our defensive line get some push. Although he is slightly injury prone which is why I picked another option

or

Billy Winn - DE/DT - Boise State

Has the size and ability to play in our scheme. Is great at the point of attack and collapsing the pocket

Rd 3- Trumaine Johnson - CB/FS - Montana

Much bigger and stronger than your average corner and has played some FS which given his size and lack of fluidity of most corners, is probably what he'll end up playing. Also possesses some playmaking ability

Rd 4- Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma

Coming off an injury. But he's a perfect fit in our west coast offense. Runs Great Routes, can get YAC, has great hands, can make the tough catch in traffic + has some return ability. Can never have enough depth at receiver here, and with his potential could be future starter. Could be a steal if we can get him this late.

Rd 4- David Molk - C - Michigan

Possible starter for the future?

Rd 4- Ladarius Green - TE - Louisiana-Lafayette

Finley and Green? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt

Rd 5- Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State

Let me introduce to missing power element to our run game and offense in general. A very underrated player and sleeper in the draft. He's big, strong, tough and has some good quickness as well. Holds a 6.9 YPC stat which is tied with Trent Richardson

Thoughts? Criticism?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the draft board. You could argue Branch over Mercilus, but either player would be a good pick. Trumaine Johnson might not last until the third round though.

McShay has the Packers taking Branch in the first round and Trumaine Johnson in the second round. Also, keep an eye on Brandon Taylor, SS, LSU. He's getting a lot of love right now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
christ.. the guns on turbin...

Man Crick has really dropped on draft boards from a year ago. Could be a 2nd day gem

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree about Crick. His stock has been really dropping and he could end up being a real steal. Shea McClellan is an OLB who's been getting a lot of love lately and could be a good 2nd round or early 3rd round pick. But overall, a good draft you have there.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice draft, I especially like the Mercilus pick. Like him way more than Branch, good kid and superior physical specimen to Branch-IMO. I don't think he'll drop to #28 though.

I do think alot of the players you have the Packers picking will be gone before you have them being selected, unfortunately.

Its funny how people have been saying how much Broyles reminds them of Greg Jennings because I thought the same thing when he became OU's best reciever a few years back. He'd be a great value pick if his knee checks out.

I don't really like Molk's height limitations, rather go for Brewster.

I really like Shea McLellin and Tyrone Crawford of Boise State.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Rd 1- Whitney Mercilus - OLB - Illinois

Rd 2- Jared Crick - DE/DT - Nebraska
or
Billy Winn - DE/DT - Boise State

Rd 3- Trumaine Johnson - CB/FS - Montana

Rd 4- Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma

Rd 4- David Molk - C - Michigan

Rd 4- Ladarius Green - TE - Louisiana-Lafayette

Rd 5- Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State

Thoughts? Criticism?

I've seen quite a few people predict a late round TE, but I can't quite understand why. Could you explain your reasoning? I tend to think TT will try to trade back if we get stuck with a sixth TE as our best option.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Nice draft, I especially like the Mercilus pick. Like him way more than Branch, good kid and superior physical specimen to Branch-IMO. I don't think he'll drop to #28 though.

I have feeling he might not. His draft stock has been really climbing recently and he's projected to be picked in the top 20. I hope he falls, but he'd be worth trading up for and we have the ammo to do it.,

I do think alot of the players you have the Packers picking will be gone before you have them being selected, unfortunately.

I average the projected rounds each player would go in and made my list according to that. But there are a couple who definitely might not end up being around when we pick. Trumaine Johnson is probably the most likely one that won't be around.

Its funny how people have been saying how much Broyles reminds them of Greg Jennings because I thought the same thing when he became OU's best reciever a few years back. He'd be a great value pick if his knee checks out.

This is what I'm hoping as well. He has the potential to be another Greg Jennings or Victor Cruz type receiver who runs good routes and gets YAC. Those are the type of receivers that make up our offense.

I've seen quite a few people predict a late round TE, but I can't quite understand why. Could you explain your reasoning? I tend to think TT will try to trade back if we get stuck with a sixth TE as our best option.

A few reasons. First the way offenses are evolving the tight end is the new thing. I think everyone has seen what the Patriots have been able to do with their two TE's. I think getting a big receiving TE like Green would be good for us especially if we can pick one up this late. Plus if Finley doesn't return to form it would be nice to have a big TE target to replace him because the rest of our TE's aren't big receiving threats. Plus Quarless and his nasty injury it would be worth a look.

With Green's size as well he could be groomed to be a deep threat receiver.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Whitney honestly. Other than Upshaw, none of the top 3-4 pass rushers would fit Green Bay's scheme. I like Perry a lot more than Whitney, and I also like Irvin from a pure pass rush standpoint. McClellin is getting a lot of love, but I'm not sold on the guy yet; he's got decent straight-line speed but his athleticism is questionable.

They definitely need to look at TE this year. James Hanna has a lot of upside and late round value.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't like Whitney honestly. Other than Upshaw, none of the top 3-4 pass rushers would fit Green Bay's scheme. I like Perry a lot more than Whitney, and I also like Irvin from a pure pass rush standpoint. McClellin is getting a lot of love, but I'm not sold on the guy yet; he's got decent straight-line speed but his athleticism is questionable.

They definitely need to look at TE this year. James Hanna has a lot of upside and late round value.

Upshaw is too slow and heavy to be an edge rusher in the 3-4 scheme.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upshaw is too slow and heavy to be an edge rusher in the 3-4 scheme.

Something similar is also said of Nick Perry. He's a tweener and not ready to play OLB in a 3-4. He's better as a DE in a 4-3 they say.

I like Kendall Reyes myself in round 1, and then Bruce Irvin or Shea McClellin in round 2. Other than Fletcher Cox and Quentin Coples, Reyes is looking like the best 3-4 DE out there, and Coples has some question marks. Trumaine is looking good and would be a very good pick if he lasts that long.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree about Crick. His stock has been really dropping and he could end up being a real steal. Shea McClellan is an OLB who's been getting a lot of love lately and could be a good 2nd round or early 3rd round pick..
McClellin will never be there for our 3rd round pick.

Check out the latest.

A glance at recent mock drafts on the Web, with comments on the Packers' pick:
Russ Lande, Sporting News
Packers' pick: Devon Still, DT, Penn State
Comment: "Green Bay's defense wasn't the same unit in 2011 that is was when it won the Super Bowl. Still is a powerful, athletic defensive lineman who would fit as a defensive end."
ESPN Blog Network
Packers' pick: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
Comment: "In my absence, ESPN.com colleagues chose Konz, the draft's top center, knowing that veteran Jeff Saturday is likely a one-year bridge from departed starter Scott Wells. General manager Ted Thompson will almost certainly draft a center, but he might wait until a later round knowing he has 2012 insurance in Saturday." (Kevin Seifert)
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com
Packers' pick: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
Comment: "The Packers desperately need a legitimate threat opposite Clay Matthews to prevent opponents from sliding pass protection exclusively in the Pro Bowler's direction. Upshaw is not an elite athlete, but he is a high-motor rusher capable of wreaking havoc off the edges with his relentless approach."
Chad Reuter, NFL Network
Packers' pick: Shea McClellin, DE, Boise St.
Comment: "The Packers passed on Brooks Reed late in the first round last year, and McClellin put up similar numbers to the Texans' young starter at this year's combine. Adding another high-motor linebacker across from Clay Matthews could improve the team's pass rush."

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Maybe, but hard to know for sure. I do know he is a solid football player and good playmaker.

He's being labeled right now as a 4-3 Defensive End by scouts and draft analysts. I just don't see him being effective if he's asked to play in our 3-4 as an OLB, especially if he's asked to drop into coverage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts