My Magnificent Mock

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhh...based on my eyes? If he was good, he would’ve played more. Pretty simple.

Moore could fill that role plus a lot more. He’s a legitimate downfield player. He plays like a juiced up Cobb.

Or he just came in for the last 4 games of the season for what was that again? Oh yea, Special Teams and depth. If you quickly ran to add him to your fantasy team, then you were misguided.

Moore could but I doubt it, he looks great, but in a watered down SEC season I'm not so sure. To be fair, Austin looked even better at West Virginia, but look who he played against....3 years of the gauntlet that is the Big East and then a marred year in the Big 12 .....but you could also say the same for Moore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I Keep in mind a 2nd Rounder is going to cost us $3M roughly per year.

FYI, last year the 62nd overall pick (A.J. Dillon) signed a rookie deal averaging $1.3 million per season.

He played in only 4 games and thus a total of 3% of all offensive snaps. If you said something to the effect of "not enough sample size to retain him" I could see you making a point there.

Austin didn't show anything justifying to keep him around for 2020 either as a receiver or a returner. He even had a terrible fumble in limited action.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI, last year the 62nd overall pick (A.J. Dillon) signed a rookie deal averaging $1.3 million per season.

My bad, I misspoke. I dunno why I put the "per year" on the end of that statement. But the avg 2nd Round contract will be in that general area for total cost. While certainly not common, if Dillon(or any 2nd Rounder) has a great year, he could ask for a new contract in a season or two.

But still, I would rather hold on to Austin, then sign Moore when we have more pressing needs, ESPECIALLY in the 2nd Round.

D

Deleted member 6794

While certainly not common, if Dillon(or any 2nd Rounder) has a great year, he could ask for a new contract in a season or two.

No, the CBA prevents rookie deals to be renegotiated before the end of a player's third season in the league.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which CBA was that? I wasn't aware that was an additional clause in the rookie wage scale.

While that certainly works out to the Packers advantage, my stance remains the same.

Outside of Terrace Marshall, or one of the "Big Four" in Chase/Waddle/Smith/Toney falling to 29th in the 1st. There's decent talent to be had at WR on Day 3.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which CBA was that? I wasn't aware that was an additional clause in the rookie wage scale.

While that certainly works out to the Packers advantage, my stance remains the same.

Outside of Terrace Marshall, or one of the "Big Four" in Chase/Waddle/Smith/Toney falling to 29th in the 1st. There's decent talent to be had at WR on Day 3.

I would add Bateman. Him, Marshall and Toney - I strongly feel one of them will be there at 29. The question is if Gute likes any of them. Only receiver we have been linked to (LONG way till draft) is Rondale Moore - which given his size shocked me.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind this could be smoke and mirrors. The interview could be an attempt to force someone to trade ahead of the Packers and draft him or swap picks with the Packers for an additional premium. I'm convinced this is Gute's plan.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Gluten would be better getting a veteran CB in FA on a one or two year deal, like Richard Sherman, and avoid using a Rd 1 pick on CB. Aside from Alexander, GB doesn't have a great history scouting and drafting CBs. And it's not like the bad ol days when the entire secondary sucked. Aside from King, the secondary is pretty solid, and young. I don't know the answer. I have a hunch WR Elijah Moore is gonna go in Rd 1 and would rather see him drafted by GB. Interested in some thoughts from the gallery. Thx all!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Gluten would be better getting a veteran CB in FA on a one or two year deal, like Richard Sherman, and avoid using a Rd 1 pick on CB. Aside from Alexander, GB doesn't have a great history scouting and drafting CBs. And it's not like the bad ol days when the entire secondary sucked. Aside from King, the secondary is pretty solid, and young. I don't know the answer. I have a hunch WR Elijah Moore is gonna go in Rd 1 and would rather see him drafted by GB. Interested in some thoughts from the gallery. Thx all!
we have some really good players in the 2ndary, but i hesitate to call it solid when there is a huge hole. 2 really good starting safeties. adequate to below behind that. and Alexander. Sullivan, while a nice story has a ways to go to be solid, especially as a starter. and if you don't have 3 DB's on the field that can play, you don't have much. We could use a FA and a high draft pick at the minimum there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have some really good players in the 2ndary, but i hesitate to call it solid when there is a huge hole. 2 really good starting safeties. adequate to below behind that. and Alexander. Sullivan, while a nice story has a ways to go to be solid, especially as a starter. and if you don't have 3 DB's on the field that can play, you don't have much. We could use a FA and a high draft pick at the minimum there.

Agreed, we must minimum find one starting CB in the draft or have massive growth by a person already on staff.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, we must minimum find one starting CB in the draft or have massive growth by a person already on staff.
I agree with you and Mondio, thanks for the comments. Alexander is the only CB I trust to be consistently good. I think the S group is fine when healthy. And the biggest reason GB lost to TB was weak to non-existent CB play from King. I just get nervous on draft night when a CB is needed, and GB's history drafting CBs. Finally, I don't see anyone already on the roster making a big enough jump.

Adding some talent to the DL and a third Edge rusher behind Z and Gary will help. But the secondary unit has to survive on its own, and contribute more TOs.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst has hit on 50% of the high round CB’s he’s taken. That’s not bad.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you and Mondio, thanks for the comments. Alexander is the only CB I trust to be consistently good. I think the S group is fine when healthy. And the biggest reason GB lost to TB was weak to non-existent CB play from King. I just get nervous on draft night when a CB is needed, and GB's history drafting CBs. Finally, I don't see anyone already on the roster making a big enough jump.

Adding some talent to the DL and a third Edge rusher behind Z and Gary will help. But the secondary unit has to survive on its own, and contribute more TOs.

Agreed, Demarious Randall doesn't go mental he is a decent, underachiever to his draft position sure but fully capable of an NFL roster spot. Rollins was an absolute bust, but otherwise our drafting chops at CBs isn't terrible over the last 10 years IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if Gluten would be better getting a veteran CB in FA on a one or two year deal, like Richard Sherman, and avoid using a Rd 1 pick on CB.

Unfortunately the Packers don't have a lot of cap space to sign a cornerback in free agency.

Rollins was an absolute bust, but otherwise our drafting chops at CBs isn't terrible over the last 10 years IMO.

In addition Josh Jackson was a bust and Kevin King didn't perform up to his draft status.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All right.

I was both too lazy to finish the mock and write it out on here. I don’t do trades, but I do excellence.

As I type this, I see that I can’t just import a photo from my phone (or I’m too dumb to figure it out), and I’m not gonna put it on tinyurl or whatever so I guess I do have to write it out. I’m already sick of this.

1) Tyson Campbell- CB - Georgia

2) Elijah Moore - WR - USC

3) Quincy Roche - Edge - Miami

4) Walker Little - OT - Stanford

4) Thomas Graham Jr - CB - Oregon

5) Jermar Jefferson - RB - OSU

6) Tyree Gillespie - S - MSU

This DL class sucks btw. And I love Thomas Graham.
I'm just working from memory and things may have changed, but I thought Campbell projected to Rd 2 and Moore to Rd 1. IMO, Moore would be the slot receiver GB has been missing since Cobb. There are enough 6 foot plus guys in the WR room so I'd be ok with this pick, and then Campbell in the 2nd. It's a lot of speculation anyway at this point. You did a good job with your draft list.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just working from memory and things may have changed, but I thought Campbell projected to Rd 2 and Moore to Rd 1. IMO, Moore would be the slot receiver GB has been missing since Cobb. There are enough 6 foot plus guys in the WR room so I'd be ok with this pick, and then Campbell in the 2nd. It's a lot of speculation anyway at this point. You did a good job with your draft list.

You very well may be correct. I think in terms of readiness, Moore is far more likely to immediately contribute/be good than Campbell. Campbell needs a little seasoning. With that said, CB’s with Campbell’s physical profile usually don’t last long, and WR’s with Moore’s physical profile usually don’t go very early.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moore is good. He isn’t too short. Campbell is also good. He won’t be there when we pick in the 2nd. There’s only so many guys that get graded as a first rounder.

Roche, again, is good. He is an Edge that has a lot of skills that we don’t have on the roster. Preston Smith is gone. We don’t have the money. Read the tea leaves.

Little is good. Seeing a theme? I hope so.

Graham doesn’t have great speed. He does have very good instincts, creates a lot of plays, and tackles well. He’s an ideal slot CB. It’s a position we’re lacking in.
Agree about Campbell. IMO he'll go in Rd 2, but as you say, ahead of GB. I think Moore is a late first round pick. He'd fill an immediate need at slot, and still able to line up outside.. GB never did have an answer for slot last year, trying to force fit guys that were just too tall for the position. IMO it's the one WR position where height can be a liability, well at least with the talent currently on the roster. A lot of guys in that WR room have been around for a while, and outside of Adams, none of them should feel safe.

Members online

Latest posts