1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

My Grandpa

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by DaBearsrule4ever, Jul 24, 2006.

1. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's just a matter of days before he passes away. He has been in the hospital off and on since may. His kidney is shot, his heart is only functioning at 30% and his brain is only functioning at 50%. He's 88 years old. So, it's just a matter of time before he goes on life support. The reason he wants to be on life support is because he wants to give everyone the chance for 24-48 hours to see him while he's still alive one last time. A little while ago when I was driving around, I drove by his house and stopped for a few seconds and looked at it until I got depressed and just left before I came to tears. My Grandpa just like my parents has been there for me no matter what. He probably would still be there for me but he realistically can't anymore. Now, it's my turn to be there for him.

2. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Good luck man. My thoughts and prayers go out to your Grandpa, you, and your family.

Take care.

3. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Go see him. You won't regret it. I have lost all my grandparents and both parents. It's not easy but like you said he has always been there for you, no matter what. When somebody, that has lived as full a life as your grandpa, passes, they usually go with dignity and peace. You'll be surprised how natural it is.

Good luck and you are in my prayers.

4. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    oh my goodness - i am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. be with him as much as possible, tell him how much he means to you, talk about all the things you did together, & above all - tell him you love him. you're in my prayers. :(

5. DaBearsrule4ever

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone!

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm really sorry to hear about this. I have lost all grandparents and parents too.
    When i heard my Grandpa was in the hospital and wasn't expected to make the night, i went up to see him. He had been pretty much unresponsive. I walked in, said "Hi Grandpa!" And he looked at me and said "Hi Grandson!" He NEVER called me by name my whole life, always "Grandson." We talked for awhile, and he joked around with me. The next day he passed. I was always so glad to get to see him that one last time. It was hard, but well worth it.
    My prayers go out to you in this hard time my friend! Hold onto the good times! And tell him how much you love him! You never know just what gets through to them when they are in that state.

7. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    So sad to hear, my best to you and yours.

8. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So sorry to hear about your grandpa, spend as much time with him as you can. Noone knows what death or love is until they loose someone very close.

My prayers go out to you and your family..

9. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    Go see him.
    I just learned today that my mom's sister died. That is the3rd aunt or uncle in the last 6 months. It is a reminder that mom is getting up there in years and the inevitable is approaching.

Sorry to hear of your lose.

10. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa's situation. My Grandma is 94 years old and lives in a nursing home, because she is bedridden. I was with her on her 94th birthday and allthough I've allways been her favourite grandson, she didn't recognise me.
    Man, I can tell you, that was fairly hard, but then I realized two things:

1) My mom was as happy as you can be, that we made that visit together and celebrated that birthday with all of the family and that alone was worth it.
    2) If I wouldn't have been there, I think, a few weeks or months or years from now, it would be much harder for me to think about Granny and have to admit, that I didn't find the time or the courage to visit her and to be with her and to hold her hand, give her hugs etc. etc., just to give her back a little peace of the love she gave to me for all of my life.

Go and visit your Grandpa and bid farewell to him.

11. ChrisC

ChrisC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey DaBearsRule

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. There is a lot of wisdom posted here - I do hope that everything goes as well as it can.

Take care of each other. My prayers are with you.

Chris

12. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Go see you're grandpa man. I lost my dad when I was 13 and would give anything to have just 5 more minutes with him. My mother is the only person I have left in my life right now.

13. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    MinnSucks what the hell is going on in your avatar?

14. DaBearsrule4ever

Ratings:
    +0
    I went with my Mom to go see him today. My Mom asked him if he knew who I was and at first he nodded his head no, well thats because he didn't have his glasses on. Then my Mom told him it was me, then he nodded his head yes. He was sleeping most of the time while we were there but he'll atleast know he got to see me one last time while he was alive.

15. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    DaBears, how old are you if you don't mind my asking?

16. DaBearsrule4ever

Ratings:
    +0
    I turn 21 on August 30th.

17. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Cool....stay close to your mom. She'll need your help.

18. DaBearsrule4ever

Ratings:
    +0
    I will try to do my best.

19. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Always stay close to family, friends come and go but family is forever...:)

20. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Go and get the book "Tuedsay's with Morrie." Read it. It will make you feel much better.

Good luck, this too shall pass.

RP

21. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    just checking in with dabearsrule...everything ok with grandpa, buddy??

22. DaBearsrule4ever

Ratings:
    +0
    He's still alive so far. However, he hasn't eatin anything in god knows how long. All he'll drink is water and go back to sleep which is what he spends the most of the day doing. He's coming home tomorrow BUT my Mom is checking into 24 hour care for him before he comes home.

23. DaBearsrule4ever

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, he's officially gone. In a small ways, i'm relieved because he's no longer suffering. Part of me also feels like I lost one of my best friends. It's going to take a little to get used to the fact that he's gone.

24. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sad to hear so. Let me offer you and your family my sencere condolences.
    It's hard and it's going to be hard, but try to be strong, strong enough for both you and your family, esp. your mom.
    Keep your grandpa in mind as the friend he was for you.

25. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    my sympathies & prayers to you & your family.