My first four draft picks for Packers

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. AJ Hawk
2. Taitusi Lutui, G, USC
3. Davin Joseph, G, USC
4. Jerome Harrison, RB, WSU

Rationale: We hare weaker at LB than DL and this guy is an All Pro, I am still not sold on Williams the Dl. Inconsistent. What hurt us at guard was lack of athleticism, this is a great year for OL and we need to start building, these two will give us interior line for next ten years. Harrison I saw in Senior Bowl and small scatback type that has great moves. Use Gabo on first two downs and put this guy in on third plus looks like a natural for special teams. These would all be value and not stretches and could all be there when we draft.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Hawk but taking 3 offensive players with the first 4 picks doesn't seem too likely. Offensive guard seems more likely to be a free agency/later rounds of the draft thing. I do think we will be taking a running back in the early rounds but i don't really know much about the ones that will be available past the third round.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we only need 3 real defensive picks (lb,cb,safety) so i could see 3 offensive players in first 4.

especially if we wanna get this offensive line back to repectability.

Reaction score
Trom, I wouldn't be surprised if we upgrade O-line through FA. TT sounds like he has something up his sleeve.

But I wouldn't mind going with 3 D picks out of the first 4. The more personelle we have, the better we can be!

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Trom, I wouldn't be surprised if we upgrade O-line through FA. TT sounds like he has something up his sleeve.

But I wouldn't mind going with 3 D picks out of the first 4. The more personelle we have, the better we can be!

I agree. I think the outcome will also tell us the direction the front office are going. By picking impact players for the D early shows us trying to turn things around quickly while getting OL shows us taking a more long term building option. It takes a good few seasons for the line to bed down in the NFL where as someone like Hawk should be able to start from day one and make an impact.
FA or Draft we need to upgrade the OL somehow, that IMHO was 90% of our problem last season.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me disappoint many of you.

It takes weeks of film evaluation to compare players.

Fans do not do background checks or see the results of psychological testing.

Draft sites have players varying by more than 50 spots on their draft boards from site to site.

Ted Thompson drafts for value not necessarily for position.

We do not know which free agents will be signed and which Packers will get cut.

Kampmann signing/nonsigning will greatly determine first round selection.

Draft day trades are not yet known.

However, assuming nothing I think this might be a possibility:

1) DE Williams
2) trade down some spots and take LB Carpenter or RB Calhoun whichever is left on the board.
3) OG Joseph or OG Setterstrom if both on board possible trade down.
4) Best available RB or LB whichever was not taken in 2nd round.
5) Best available NT or OT
6) WR/KR type
7) TE or QB developemental type.

Hard to be more definitive at this point. The only positions that are unlikely to be drafted at are Center and Safety.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Packer needs are two guards, an impact defensive end or linebacker and a cornerback. Those are our needs. We need a linebacker either way, but what we need on that defense is an impact player. It would make our defensive line much better if we could find a shutdown cornerback. It would also be nice if we could find some depth at safety, however we need to address our needs first.

I like TT's philosophy of taking the best player available however because you tend to get better players that way without reaching. I just happen to believe you win with defense and it's time we find some players there.

Offensively, our biggest need is to replace those two guards with two impact players. If we find two guards, our offense will click again. Believe it or not we need a wide receiver too. Murphy may not come back, Ferguson is a proven bust. So that give us Walker if he returns to full health and Driver with Chatman as a third receiver. One more young player would be helpful. If Green can come back I think we'll have some depth at running back.

Let the draft begin.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I believe the Packer needs are two guards, an impact defensive end or linebacker and a cornerback. Those are our needs. We need a linebacker either way, but what we need on that defense is an impact player. It would make our defensive line much better if we could find a shutdown cornerback. It would also be nice if we could find some depth at safety, however we need to address our needs first.

I like TT's philosophy of taking the best player available however because you tend to get better players that way without reaching. I just happen to believe you win with defense and it's time we find some players there.

Offensively, our biggest need is to replace those two guards with two impact players. If we find two guards, our offense will click again. Believe it or not we need a wide receiver too. Murphy may not come back, Ferguson is a proven bust. So that give us Walker if he returns to full health and Driver with Chatman as a third receiver. One more young player would be helpful. If Green can come back I think we'll have some depth at running back.

Let the draft begin.

Don't forget that we also picked up Gardner at WR at the end of last season. He might just be the perfect match for our WRs too -- a big WR who can go over the middle.

I agree that our biggest offseason concern is to rebuild the OL, but I doubt we'll find 2 starters through the draft. I'd rather see TT rebuild the line with at least one top FA and then a draft pick to fight it out with Wells, Ruegy, Coston and Witt. White, Wells and Ruegy will be fighting it out at center also. We can get a solid OL by adding one more proven starter through FA.

Members online

Latest posts