My draft prediction for 2006

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is how I would approach this years draft if I were TT.
Two Trades would have to happen for my draft to take place , but I do not think they are to far fetched.
#1.…S.F. is in love with Vernon Davis, but they are not assured he will be there at #6 with Denver and Oakland both looking to move up so as GB is on the clock SF offers their #1‘s(6th and 22nd) for our #1(5) and our #3(96th) .
#2.….Denver offers the #2 they received from SF(#37) and a 2007 3rd or 4th rnd pick for Walker .
That leaves us with what I think TT will do.

#1-1st rnd-(6)…A J Hawk….LB…Ohio State
AJ will still be there and is the guy that will make the most impact for Green Bay in this draft.

#2-1ST rnd-(22)…Antonio Cromartie….CB….FSU immediate help for the nickle defense and a good special teams man. Could become an immediate starter.

#3 -2nd rnd-(36) Taitosi Lutui….OG…USC..highest rated guard in the draft a good value here.

#4-2nd rnd -(37) Mercedes Lewis…TE…UCLA…He’s not Vernon Davis but has the size and speed to become an immediate weapon for Brett, needs work on blocking skills but is already better than David Martin.

#5-4th rnd-(104)….Charlie Whitehurst…QB…Clemson…The Packers need a 3rd QB and Whitehurst was rated a lot higher as a junior but dropped after an average senior year….He is better than his daddy.

#6-rnd 5-(139)….Gerald Riggs Jr…RB…Tennessee…He may not be here to draft but if he is, he will be a steal in the 5th rnd. Injuries his senior year may keep him from going earlier.

#7-rnd 5-Marques Colson…WR…1AA Hofstra…At 6’5â€

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
#1.…S.F. is in love with Vernon Davis, but they are not assured he will be there at #6 with Denver and Oakland both looking to move up so as GB is on the clock SF offers their #1‘s(6th and 22nd) for our #1(5) and our #3(96th) .

The only way this happens is if the SF GM is really lit up at the time. There is no way they trade both 1st round picks to move up one spot even with a number 3 thrown in.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your picks. However, there is no way SF will trade the #22 pick for the #96 pick so they can move up one spot in the draft. On the draft value chart, the picks the packers would get (6 & 22) total 2380 points. The picks that SF would get (5 &96) total 1816 points. Some will scoff at the importance of the chart. However, in the trade SF and DEN made today,, the points came out exact - 780-780.

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember The Browns trading up one spot in 2004 and giving up a second rnd pick just to make sure they got Kellen Winslow Jr., so it is not out of the question, hey I can dream.

I know before you say it, they The Browns could have stayed pat and drafted "Big Ben", a move that will be remembered in this area for many years.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeye,

Assuming the trade goes through...I agree with you about Hawk and Cromartie. However, at #36, Davin Joseph would be better than Lutui. Joseph's skills fit perfectly into the zone blocking the Pack will be using. In fact, that is who NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN.COM have the Packers picking at #36.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok first thing IMO that trade will never happen (the SF one), another thing is the OG from USC is to big for us.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are on the clock and SF is behind us I doubt they are really going to worry about us snagging Davis. Why not just wait and get him anyhow?

I do like the Hawk pick and would love Cromartie but we probably won't pick again in the first. I doubt he is there come 2nd round but if he is, and Mangold is gone it would make me a happy camper.

Lutui does not fit the system at all, nor does Jean-Gilles. I like Joseph but from the reports I have heard the Panthers are showing serious interest in him at 27. We would probably go CB,WR at 2 if Mangold is gone.

In round 3 I think the Packers would be smart making a "Nick Collins" like pick and draft Kevin Boothe from Cornell. The guy is a great fit for our system.

I disagree on taking Whitehurst, Riggs Jr. and a kicker but other than that it's solid.

I think we better draft at least 2 OG's. I likethe Kuper kid late in the draft.

Colson is a nice project, may be worth a late round flyer. I think Aramashodu from LSU would help with our kick return game along with giving Favre a nice target with speed.

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole thing with the tade is I am thinking there will be at least two teams dealing with The Packers to move to #5, SF has the best option to give us having #6 and #22, if they think there is someone who is going to jump ahead of them, and take Davis, they just might deal.

It may not be SF picks, but I do believe that The Packers are going to end up with 4 of the top 40 picks in this draft.

Anyone know how The 49r's are set with money this year? Do they have the money to sign 2 #1's?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts