My draft dream.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hate when ppl use the weight argument ! Drives me nuts! He's up to 237 now and it's not impossible for him to add more weight goodness. You get a NT with a big butt (Raji?) in front of him to occupy blockers he will make tackles all over the field guarantee it.

Yeah, he can add some weight, the question is though how much before he loses some of the speed you fell in love with.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he can add some weight, the question is though how much before he loses some of the speed you fell in love with.

Well I see your point but even if he did "lose" some speed you're still talking about a guy running in the 4.4's at over 240 pounds which is still amazing. Not even the Patrick Willis, And Navarro bowmans of the world run like shazier.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I see your point but even if he did "lose" some speed you're still talking about a guy running in the 4.4's at over 240 pounds which is still amazing. Not even the Patrick Willis, And Navarro bowmans of the world run like shazier.

Shazier bulked up a lot for the combine. Just look at his build when he was playing vs the combine. Shazier's playing weight in the NFL will probably max out at 235 and that's a big risk for an inside linebacker on a 3-4 team without a dominant NT.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dream scenario:

Mosley at 21 (assuming his knee is ok)
Niklas (TE) in the second (enormous TE that is fast and Mayock says he could be the best blocking TE in the entire NFL in a couple years
Jaylen Watkins (S) in the third. Played corner and safety while at Florida and got a chance to show off his physical skills at the combine. Move him to free safety and he'd be excellent, ran a 4.41 40 and has good coverage skills

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shazier bulked up a lot for the combine. Just look at his build when he was playing vs the combine. Shazier's playing weight in the NFL will probably max out at 235 and that's a big risk for an inside linebacker on a 3-4 team without a dominant NT.

I don't think so. I see him adding more weight,

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100%. A lot of these guys who bulk up for show end up playing closer to their "natural" weight and that should probably be closer to what he played at in college than what he was at the combine. If we had a great NT and dline that would allow him to just run and hit then he'd be great, but we don't have what now (which is why I'd be fine taking Nix) so spending a first round pick on this guys seems like a big risk.

The one exception to the "guys lose weight during the year" thing seems to be offensive linemen. So many of them drop fifty plus pounds when they retire. It looks so weird.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He ran a 4.3. Even if he bulks up a little and slips to a 4.5 he is still way way faster then anybody currently in the middle. 4.5 or 4.6 is smoking for a middle linebacker. With Raji moving to nose and Guion signed and hopefully Jolly signed I don't see the need for taking a nose Tackle with top pick. I would be very disappointed. TT can get a guy to develop later like "Caruan Reid." I like what TT has done signing key guys and bringing in some help on front 7. The only glaring thing that hasn't been addressed is Speed in the middle of defense. If you don't believe me throw in the "Thanksgiving day tape". Shazier, Mosely, Borland, Pryor, Dix, Bucannon, Brooks etc etc. Anyone of these guys would be a huge upgrade. Trade back, trade up but its's time to get some of them.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He ran a 4.3. Even if he bulks up a little and slips to a 4.5 he is still way way faster then anybody currently in the middle. 4.5 or 4.6 is smoking for a middle linebacker. With Raji moving to nose and Guion signed and hopefully Jolly signed I don't see the need for taking a nose Tackle with top pick. I would be very disappointed. TT can get a guy to develop later like "Caruan Reid." I like what TT has done signing key guys and bringing in some help on front 7. The only glaring thing that hasn't been addressed is Speed in the middle of defense. If you don't believe me throw in the "Thanksgiving day tape". Shazier, Mosely, Borland, Pryor, Dix, Bucannon, Brooks etc etc. Anyone of these guys would be a huge upgrade. Trade back, trade up but its's time to get some of them.

The only advantage that Shazier has is speed. Mosley already runs a 4.5 40 and we know he's big enough to play ILB. Why take a risk on Shazier with a first round pick? Again,I don't dislike Shazier, I just think he'd make sense a middle second round guy, not first round.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The only advantage that Shazier has is speed. Mosley already runs a 4.5 40 and we know he's big enough to play ILB. Why take a risk on Shazier with a first round pick? Again,I don't dislike Shazier, I just think he'd make sense a middle second round guy, not first round.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I agree with all of that. It all comes down to who is there. If Mosley is there then take him of course, but if Pryor is there and TT takes him you hopefully look at Borland or Shazier in seceond. If TT lands Mosley then pick up Bucannon or Brooks later. There are several scenarios. It all depends on how it all plays out. My point is all those guys I listed in an earlier post in a different forum would be welcomed. But yes, side by side I would take Mosley too. I just don't see Mosley being there at 21

Last edited:

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Guion wasn't that successful playing DT in a 4-3, so I wouldn't count on him being a good nose in a 3-4. Given his height and weight, I assumed he'd be a DE in base when we think the other team is going to run the ball. Without Pickett on the roster, we only have one NT and considering how we got worn out and owned by the run at the end of a bunch of important games last year, we need to have at least one other NT on the roster. Since Raji is probably gone next year, it'd be nice to have two, frankly. There are plenty of NTs who change the whole complexion of a defense (Wilfork, Ngata) so it's not a wasted pick at all.

Then again, maybe Boyd has put on thirty pounds and they're feeling fine about it. Who knows. The thing is, if we ended up totally unable to stop the run next year even when we know it's coming and we see Louis Nix playing for some other team and opposing offenses can't run the ball at all, we're going to feel dumb. A good dline makes the whole rest of the defense better. Having an all-world ball-hawk safety doesn't mean much if you give up four yards through the A gap every first and second down.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Guion wasn't that successful playing DT in a 4-3, so I wouldn't count on him being a good nose in a 3-4. Given his height and weight, I assumed he'd be a DE in base when we think the other team is going to run the ball. Without Pickett on the roster, we only have one NT and considering how we got worn out and owned by the run at the end of a bunch of important games last year, we need to have at least one other NT on the roster. Since Raji is probably gone next year, it'd be nice to have two, frankly. There are plenty of NTs who change the whole complexion of a defense (Wilfork, Ngata) so it's not a wasted pick at all.

Then again, maybe Boyd has put on thirty pounds and they're feeling fine about it. Who knows. The thing is, if we ended up totally unable to stop the run next year even when we know it's coming and we see Louis Nix playing for some other team and opposing offenses can't run the ball at all, we're going to feel dumb. A good dline makes the whole rest of the defense better. Having an all-world ball-hawk safety doesn't mean much if you give up four yards through the A gap every first and second down.

Nix is a great pick no doubt but with all the other holes I think you have to roll the dice with Raji moving back to nose. He is playing for a new contract and his NFL life so he should have plenty of motivation. Hopefully Boyd develops and Jolly is re-signed. I am fine with those three. The front seven is looking good IMO with a key "inside linebacker added"

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Mosley or Ebron for the Packers in the first round. Ebron is a special talent and all Mosley did was produce at Alabama.

Clinton-Dix and Pryor I'm just not totally sold on being first round prospects. Hyde dropped to the fifth round last year in part because of a perceived lack of speed (even though he's always had football speed) and he ran a 4.56 40 yard dash at the 2013 combine. These guys 4.58's two months ago at the combine.

Neither's tape really warrants first round production IMO either. I just feel like it's more likely we take somebody like Ward or Bucannon in the second or third or one of these guys if they fall.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nix is a great pick no doubt but with all the other holes I think you have to roll the dice with Raji moving back to nose. He is playing for a new contract and his NFL life so he should have plenty of motivation. Hopefully Boyd develops and Jolly is re-signed. I am fine with those three. The front seven is looking good IMO with a key "inside linebacker added"
I like the thought of drafting Nix in that it may make the decision to release/trade Raji even easier by the middle of October if Nix has shown enough to warrant full time status as our NT. I guess it just depends on whether Thompson and scouts think he'll be appreciably better than the other NT prospects in the draft.

Members online

Latest posts