1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

My big question

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Incubes12, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    How does everyone feel about the Mayan prediction concerning the end of the world in 2012?

The way I see it, the Mayans were EXCEPTIONAL astronomers. I mean, the fact that after thousands of years, we STILL use their calendar, even after all the technology our society has developed...it just seems strange to even think about writing them off.

I'm not saying I think the world is necessarily going to end in 2 years, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

2. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    "We'll know neither the day or the hour, but keep in expectation of it"

3. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Total crap I think

4. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    I think they shoulda made a longer calender
    BUT we'll find out in a couple years I guess.

Has anyone watched the Jesse Ventura Conspiracy Theory Show about the 2012 apocalypse?
    Its pretty interesting. It says the US Government has several underground bunkers under construction in anticipation for 2012. Along with private contractors building bunkers out of old missile silos in Kansas....

5. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120
    I think in 2012, God will show us his face and appear to us....

In a Packer Jersey.

6. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    It's subject to interpretation. The end does not always mean death in the physical sense as in the end of the world. It could mean great change is coming and the world is in need of it or ready for it. The death of one thing and the beginning of another. Nearly all things are cyclical in nature, people just tend to think on a linear level in the state of consciousness. Look back through the history of recorded time. All the major events that changed the world as we know it. Whatever change the Mayans predicted should be major because they focused so much attention on that particular time.

I believe the Mayans also used a lunar (moon cycle) calendar in addition to the solar (sun). They marked and recorded the passage of time by studying and recording the passage of the moon and sun. I don't know of they still think the calendar the Mayans used then is the exactly the same as the one we use today.

The Mayans possessed wisdom and were light years ahead of their time. I personally think they knew even more than what we know of them, but I have no way to prove that theory.

For further reading try this site, I've found it to be comprehensive:

ALL ABOUT 2012

It looks more like the end of a cycle, or maybe that's as far as they got in making projections. It appears the calender just ends, so naturally fanatics are going to start their end of the world theories.

7. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    I've got a couple friends who were/are paranoid about that stuff, and while I bought into the hysteria at first, I figure its best just to keep it out of my mind...

8. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    I think about it all the time.

I always think about what that would mean for me if some sort of "end" did occur. It would mean I spent my last few years studying and putting in 36 hour shifts at the hospital, instead of living it up.

I'm not paranoid about it at all, I just think it would be a bad coincidence in my particular case and in a lot of others. Sorry if I sound depressing or anything, I'm not trying to get anyone down. I'm just curious if anyone else thinks about this stuff.

I want to just say it's all rubbish, but given how intelligent the civilization that made the prediction was, I can't. There are no signs of anything happening, unless you count something like global warming. It just makes me wonder because even though we don't see any signs, we still have just as much a chance of predicting something like this as the Mayans did.

9. Passepartout

Passepartout December to Remember!

Ratings:
    +27
    Only God knows that. As a Christian, I think that only God knows that. We need to just worry about today. Not what the future brings or the past has brought. As you can't believe everything that 2012 says. Or whatever year they predict will end.

10. cantstop12to85

cantstop12to85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I believe it man, I think a good amount of people are going to die, and only a certain select few are going to live through the apocalypse....

11. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Mayans don't predict the end of the world - their calendar just starts over. They did well at astronomy but they were not far technology wise past the stone age.

12. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    Then in that case I should be chosen because IM THE MIZ and IM AWESOME lol

WWE Reference

13. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    A calendar is a cycle, it starts over all the time.

Your second statement is my point, I think that even with all our technological advances, we aren't very accurate on predictions regarding nature far into the future. It's hard to predict things, all our technology does is detect them when they occur. I think the fact that they made a calendar that has persisted through all these years, DESPITE all our tech advances, they knew something back then, and it's possible.

14. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    How will the world end?

It dont make sense

15. cantstop12to85

Ratings:
    +2
    From what I have read on the matter, they have predicted world events such as the World Wars Vietnam, and even the World Trade Center...so i feel like whatever they had to say about 12/21/2012 was more accurate than anything we have today

16. dantastic

dantastic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43
    I just see it as a waste of time and energy worrying about something you have no control over.

Totally counterproductive

17. cantstop12to85

Ratings:
    +2
    couldnt you look at football that way to though? I mean what control do you personally have over your team winning a game...yet you still find yourself on here just like the rest of us talking about the team week after week

18. dantastic

dantastic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43
    true, but football is entertainment. Worrying about the demise of civilization is not. (at least for me) :)

19. cantstop12to85

Ratings:
    +2
    I feel you...football is definitely more important than that end of the world talk haha

• Like Like x 2
  20. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    Meh, it's not something you dwell on all the time. Every once in a while, something just reminds you of it, and you think, well, what if?

Like I said before, it's not something to change your life over, but it is something interesting to think about.

21. dantastic

dantastic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43
    No, I totally get where you guys are coming from. We all live in a state of fear on some level.

We fear all sorts of crap. Death, failure, success, pain, you name it. I worry about my kids all the time,
    the world they are growing up in, making sure they have a happy childhood. Teaching them as much as I can.
    Not to get too deep here.

It's a constant struggle, but everyday I just try my best to work on what I have control over (which isn't much)

22. PackerFan87

PackerFan87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Nah I don't believe it.
    The conspiracy theories are hilarious though!

23. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Well, I read somewhere that when the world ends only cats and cockroaches are going to survive. I like that theory!!!

I just hope I get to see the Packers win the Superbowl at least three times before it ends!!!

24. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    Why cockroaches though?

25. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Probably because the cats are going to need something to hunt.