MVP

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone please make an argument that Manning is better than Rodgers? Because I dont see it. As good? Sure, I can see that but I dont see how he is hands down better. Pundits are saying its between AP and Peyton, which I dont see how Peyton is any better than Brady or Rodgers.

My vote might be for Watt though as he is changing the way the game is played with those batted balls and going for a pretty significant record.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I figure Peyton to be MVP, AP to get OPOY, either one gets comback POY, JJ for DPOY, and RGIII for OROY. DROY is too close to call. Marketing and media choices, not necessarily the truth.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
In my mind it's between Brady, Rodgers and Peterson.

However, the media loves Peyton, but even more than their love for Peyton is their weird obsession with comeback/inspirational stories. A combination of Peyton Manning who they already blow on a consistent basis and his return from surgery will probably, and undeservedly land him the MVP vote. Plus you have to factor in that the Colts went 2-14 without Peyton which will probably be taken into account, but there is no way the Colts were that terrible without Peyton, they just needed to get Andrew Luck.

But Rodgers and Brady have both done just as good if not better with less to work with. Manning has a defense something Brady and Rodgers don't. Manning also has a run game and an offensive line, which Rodgers doesn't have.

Plus Adrian Peterson's comeback is far more impressive than Manning's. Manning got Denver to the playoffs, but they made the playoffs last year too with a Fullback under center. That should say everything about the supporting cast he has.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Right now, I would make the argument that the MVP should me Wilson. Denver was a playoff team last year as were the Packers. Can anyone here really say that Rodgers, Manning or Brady has done more for their team this year than what Wilson has done for the the Seahawks?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Can anyone here really say that Rodgers, Manning or Brady has done more for their team this year than what Wilson has done for the the Seahawks?

How about

Their offensive line
Marshawn Lynch
Their defense
CenturyLink Field

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Superbowl MVP Rodgers (Gladly trade all the others for this one)
MVP Brady (hype of media hypes)
OPOY Manning (because of Peterson getting Comeback)
DPOY Watt (Aldon or either of the Bears actual starting CB might be in the running, but this is no contest)
OROY Luck (Who else is on that team besides Wayne? No line, suspect defense, bunch of rookies on both sides of the ball. And he broke the passing record.)
DROY Hayward (done the most with one of the fewest snap counts)
CPOY Peterson (I really hate playing this guy)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
So when Rodgers won MVP he had none of that. No good defense, no homefield advnatage at Lambeau, Etc?
Our Defense was listed at 32nd in the league, though we all know that was garbage and we were average.
Lambeau is great, make no mistake, but its no Century Link. That place is a whole other animal. Football Alcatraz

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
So when Rodgers won MVP he had none of that. No good defense, no homefield advnatage at Lambeau, Etc?

Offensive Line? No
A productive running game? No
Defense? Ranked 32nd? No Pass Rush. No physicality. A unproductive year by Matthews.
Playing at Centurylink is a far greater advantage for the seahawks than Lambeau is for the Packers. At least this squad. We go squashed at home in the playoffs last year.

u srs?

We had Rodgers, a stacked receiving corps and some timely turnovers by our corners. Rodgers was basically winning games by himself.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figure Peyton to be MVP, AP to get OPOY, either one gets comback POY, JJ for DPOY, and RGIII for OROY. DROY is too close to call. Marketing and media choices, not necessarily the truth.

Droy is not close. He plays on the packers, come on maaaaan ;)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Seriously, I think my case is legit. David, Keuchly, Wagner, Smith, Jenkins, Barron, even Jones plays more time, anybody you list, they all are on the field just about every snap. Hayward just plays nickel. He's been a situational player and has been dominant despite the limited snaps, AND he's been healthy.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Superbowl MVP Rodgers (Gladly trade all the others for this one)
MVP Brady (hype of media hypes)
OPOY Manning (because of Peterson getting Comeback)
DPOY Watt (Aldon or either of the Bears actual starting CB might be in the running, but this is no contest)
OROY Luck (Who else is on that team besides Wayne? No line, suspect defense, bunch of rookies on both sides of the ball. And he broke the passing record.)
DROY Hayward (done the most with one of the fewest snap counts)
CPOY Peterson (I really hate playing this guy)

Peyton will get the MVP and possibly CPOY because of his return from injury. Peterson could get OPOY. It's going to come down to JJ Watt and Von Miller for DPOY. I think it will come down to RG3 and Wilson for OROY.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Peyton will get the MVP and possibly CPOY because of his return from injury. Peterson could get OPOY. It's going to come down to JJ Watt and Von Miller for DPOY. I think it will come down to RG3 and Wilson for OROY.
If you look at the teams they were on, and the people surrounding them, it's Luck. RG3 has numbers and schedule. The only thing Wilson wins is draft position and predraft expectation.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have made the argument for Rodgers for MVP to Colts fans lately but to deaf ears.....

It's like the media made their mind up halfway through the season or something. Look, Peyton has been great coming back from a missed season. But, to me all the arguments I hear for him are more comeback player of the year related.

This Packers team IMO could not live without Rodgers. Not with all these injuries all year. From the injuries to defensive leaders, WRs and the crappy o line at times....yeah for me it's Rodgers.

But, look on the bright side. The last MVP to win it and win the SB was Kurt Warner. It seems almost like a jinx.

Rodgers won't get it. The media does not seem intent on giving him the buzz this year like others.

Brady's team also beat the Broncos in Foxboro but that doesn't matter too I guess? I think Brady lost MVP when his team didn't win out and get by the 49ers. They seem intent on Manning this year.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If you look at the teams they were on, and the people surrounding them, it's Luck. RG3 has numbers and schedule. The only thing Wilson wins is draft position and predraft expectation.

Luck is asked to do A LOT for this Colts team as a rookie. A lot. The Skins and Seahawks have the top two running games in the league. I would love to see either RG3 or Wilson behind the Colts o line LOL If Luck was not mobile he would have been killed so many times this season. Not to mention he is replacing Manning and his head coach spent most of the season out with cancer. Luck throws too many picks (he hasn't for a few weeks but he has a lot) but many of them are due to how many throws he takes down field and how often we fall behind in games too and this o line. Our D is not even close to being what Seattle has too LOL. Interceptions is what most will use against Luck. lol I remember Peyton throwing a ridiculous amount of picks his rookie year too. Sometimes you just gotta let these kids be rookies and throw the picks IMO, it doesn't bother me too much.

But, I would rather see Arians/Pagano win the coaching award or Grigson win gm of the year for patching a lot of this up in one offseason which was a huge mess.

I am okay with RG3 or Wilson getting it too though since both are quite good and the chances are one will get it, even though RG3 missed a game. It's crazy how far this rookie QB class has come.

These awards are nice. But, they do not compare to the real thing, which is postseason success.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Luck is asked to do A LOT for this Colts team as a rookie. A lot. The Skins and Seahawks have the top two running games in the league. I would love to see either RG3 or Wilson behind the Colts o line LOL If Luck was not mobile he would have been killed so many times this season. Not to mention he is replacing Manning and his head coach spent most of the season out with cancer. Luck throws too many picks (he hasn't for a few weeks but he has a lot) but many of them are due to how many throws he takes down field and how often we fall behind in games too and this o line. Our D is not even close to being what Seattle has too LOL. Interceptions is what most will use against Luck. lol I remember Peyton throwing a ridiculous amount of picks his rookie year too.

But, I would rather see Arians/Pagano win the coaching award or Grigson win gm of the year for patching a lot of this up in one offseason which was a huge mess.

I am okay with RG3 or Wilson getting it too though since both are quite good and the chances are one will get it, even though RG3 missed a game. It's crazy how far this rookie QB class has come.

These awards are nice. But, they do not compare to the real thing, which is postseason success.
One of the reason the Skins and Seahawks have the top two running games is the fact that RG3 has 752 yards and Wilson has 431 yards rushing. Those numbers are higher than any Packer RB so far this year I believe. So while Rodgers, Manning and Brady are doing it in the air, those two are doing both.

Still, I think P. Manning takes it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP 2012? 2010, 2011?? Each year is different. Brady and Peyton are having their usual strong seasons. Both have strong supporting casts and head coaches.

But really the MVP is AP. You don't have to convince us of that. Hope we don't have to see him after Sunday til next year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
MVP 2012? 2010, 2011?? Each year is different. Brady and Peyton are having their usual strong seasons. Both have strong supporting casts and head coaches.

But really the MVP is AP. You don't have to convince us of that. Hope we don't have to see him after Sunday til next year.
If the Packers win, and the Vikings still make the playoffs the only way the Packers see them again is in the NFC championship game. They would play either the Niners or Seahawks and if they beat them travel to Atlanta.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
One of the reason the Skins and Seahawks have the top two running games is the fact that RG3 has 752 yards and Wilson has 431 yards rushing. Those numbers are higher than any Packer RB so far this year I believe. So while Rodgers, Manning and Brady are doing it in the air, those two are doing both.

Still, I think P. Manning takes it.

Well for Wilson I will say it gets even more impressive. He is the only QB who can throw game winning interceptions.:sick:

Oh yeah Peyton gets it. But, based on my eye test this is not one of Peyton's most impressive seasons. I have had Peyton fans tell me this is his best season since 2004 based on numbers alone and I strongly disagree. I would take SEVERAL seasons ahead of this one personally. I think it is an impressive COMEBACK season but I don't think it is among Peyton's personal bests IMO.

I thought 2006 was Peyton's most underrated regular season with the Colts last ranked run D and he got no MVP buzz that year. It was also ironically the year the Colts won the Super Bowl.

But, whatever. Onto the playoffs.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

In the age of the passer I also am pretty high on Peterson. But, no playoffs will not get him the MVP most likely. And I do hope the Packers beat the Vikings.

I don't know where the rule states it has to be a QB but that seems the norm lately. Tomlinson won it in 2006 but his team was 14-2 and the first seed in the AFC which certainly helped.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that in 2005 Holmgren's running back in Seattle was the league's MVP even though they lost the SB that year.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Don't forget that in 2005 Holmgren's running back in Seattle was the league's MVP even though they lost the SB that year.

Yeah, MVP has been a bit of a jinx in terms of winning the SB since Warner last did both.

So honestly at times I say to be careful what you wish for. :)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win, and the Vikings still make the playoffs the only way the Packers see them again is in the NFC championship game. They would play either the Niners or Seahawks and if they beat them travel to Atlanta.

However if the Packers lose then we get to see AP again a week later in Lambeau for the WC game, assuming that SF wins against the Cards. I'd rather play the Bears...or the Cowboys. Or have a 1st round bye.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton is almost a shoo-in at this point after Brady laid an egg last week. Rodgers is not in the running because he won it last year. For AP to get it he'd have to break the rushing record and propel MIN into the playoffs. A tall order.

Peyton is the poster boy this seasons. He gets it and Denver won't be winning the SB.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the OP's question, I think that Peyton's stats are generally better than Rodgers. Rodgers has more TDs, less INTs, and a higher QB rating but less yards, lower completion %, and has taken more sacks. The difference in most people's mind is his comeback from neck surgery and doing it with a new team, which I would also say has inferior receivers to GB. Certainly one could say that Peyton has a better running game, but I think the main argument is slightly better stats, neck injury, and new team...and not being named Tebow.

As far as MVP, I personally think that its Andrew Luck hands down. They went from playoff team to 1-game winner without Manning, then back to the playoffs with Luck. That is a Most Valuable Player in my example book. However, that's not how the award is voted so I think it will be Peyton Manning winning it unless AP breaks ****erson's record with 208+ yards while beating the Packers to make the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts