musing on our early success

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How big of an impact do you guys believe our early success will have on offseason attempts to sign a top tier free agent. We have the cap space, and we will go after them, just as we've done with Pickett and Woodson, etc. I would suspect that Green Bay is a tough place to lure free agents because of the small town atmosphere. We've discussed that in the past, and i'm not interested in that, but how will our success this year affect a free agent's desire to play for GB? I would say it will have a huge effect if we can keep it up and play deep into the playoffs. I would love to have someone like Michael Turner, or a high profile O-lineman or two sign with GB. We will have some cap space to work with, and I think we'll get it done.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
How big of an impact do you guys believe our early success will have on offseason attempts to sign a top tier free agent. We have the cap space, and we will go after them, just as we've done with Pickett and Woodson, etc. I would suspect that Green Bay is a tough place to lure free agents because of the small town atmosphere. We've discussed that in the past, and i'm not interested in that, but how will our success this year affect a free agent's desire to play for GB? I would say it will have a huge effect if we can keep it up and play deep into the playoffs. I would love to have someone like Michael Turner, or a high profile O-lineman or two sign with GB. We will have some cap space to work with, and I think we'll get it done.

Michael Turner is an intriguing FA. The draft is also very deep at RB, so I'm not sure TT will dole out $20 guaranteed for a RB when we can draft one and pay him a rookie salary.

As far as o-linemen go, a lot depends on whether we decide to keep the zone blocking system or not. We've had the ZBS for a season and a half and I have not seen enough to make me believe that it is the best way to go. Also we have used many draft picks on linemen to fit our scheme (a 2nd on College, a 3rd on Spitz, a 4th on Coston, a 4th on Barbre, and a 5th on Moll). That's 5 draft picks that I don't think Ted will want to give up on yet.

I would love to see a new TE in GB (even though Lee and Franks are playing well). We need a QUALITY nickelback. A new left tackle might be needed if Clifton won't step up.

As far as attracting FA's, GB is a tough sell. WRs, TEs, and RB would love to play with Favre. Problem is, Brett might not make his decision until spring. Location is also a problem. If you were given the same contract offer from GB and San Diego, where you want to go? The only location that might be more unattractive to FAs is Buffalo or Minnesota. Should be a very interesting offseason.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The upcoming offseason will go exactly like last offseason. No big signings, no big deals. Guaranteed.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The upcoming offseason will go exactly like last offseason. No big signings, no big deals. Guaranteed.

Out of curiousity, did offseason '06(signings of Pickett and Woodson) have you guaranteeing that Thompson would sign multiple big name free agents during offseason '07?

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not about big names; it's about picking up people who he believes will be huge contributors.

That just happened to be the case with Pickett and Woodson. The other thing is TT is not going to get into a bidding war. The contract GB offered Woodson was actually lower than TB's, but Woodson ultimately chose GB because he knew he'd be playing corner. Even if Chuckie let Woodson play corner, there'd be no guarantee he'd start because of Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly. At GB, his only competition was Ahmad Carroll.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not about big names; it's about picking up people who he believes will be huge contributors.

That just happened to be the case with Pickett and Woodson. The other thing is TT is not going to get into a bidding war. The contract GB offered Woodson was actually lower than TB's, but Woodson ultimately chose GB because he knew he'd be playing corner. Even if Chuckie let Woodson play corner, there'd be no guarantee he'd start because of Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly. At GB, his only competition was Ahmad Carroll.

I suppose I could have phrased it differently, but you get my point I'm sure. I'm just curious as to whether he was guaranteeing Thompson would have an aggressive offseason in '07 since he did in '06, the way he seems to be guaranteeing a quiet '08 offseason like '07's.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
You think with many teams having cap room of 5 to 10 million this year wouldn't lead to a very lackluster FA crop?

It is going to be another insane year of mucho guaranteed money upfront to marginal players.. not saying there won't be a couple out there that won't be worth bringing in, but many teams will be chasing that same exact thing.

My guess is that Turner will get slapped with a Transitional tag to guarantee sometype of compensation. Running backs in this league are a premium player.. AJ Smith won't let him go without something in return.

The only saving grace for a team in our position (needing offensive tooling) is that with all the offenses in the league going bananna's is that the defensive players will get the focus of the FA money. Every team is going to look around at the numbers the offenses are putting up and will start to place focus on Defense.

Might be a buyers market a bit on the offense next year? One can dream right :)

Members online

Latest posts