Murphy's Law

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is nothing more disappointing than being a Packer fan in Chicago after a horrible loss. I have a few thoughts on today's game:

1) Finley disappears for long stretches in every game. He follows one great catch with two easy drops. For a guy who was supposed to be the focal-point of the offense and a match-up nightmare, he has been disappointing to say the least. He is no Jimmy Graham, Antonio Gates or Jason Witten. I do not mind losing him in free agency. The money can be better spent else where.

2) I've never seen the Packers skill position players drop so many passes. I have also never seen Aaron Rogers miss on so many throws. The offense looked out of sync even though the offensive line played very well.

3) If Nick Collins is forced to retire, the seconary is in trouble. Charlie Peprah proved today that he is not a starting safety. Collins may be the most important Packer on defense. The Packers need to address safety immediately.

4) The defensive line needs help. The first round pick shoud be made on the defensive line. The loss of Cullen Jenkins was huge. There was no push at all upfront in this game. There is no reason Ei Manning should be completing 3rd-and-11's like they're 3rd-and-1's.

I'm sure there was a lot of mental issues with game, but the egg the Packers laid today was embarassing. I was sick of watching the game from the middle of the second quarter on.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the Packers lost despite the refs apparently being instructed to give us some help.

We sucked. Flatout sucked.

I wrote an article a month or so ago that said we'd be more successful in the run to the Super Bowl if we could play our HOME playoff games in the warmth of Miami. We should have moved Lambeau to Miami.
Our team is not assembled for cold weather. It's just not. We're a precision passing team, where hands, fingers, and feel are important. Not grind it out, battle of the line of scrimmage football.

Have we ever had as many drops, fumbles, bad throws as today? Nope.
Kuhn had never fumbled it away in his Packer career, til today. He should be used to the cold.
But most of our games are not played in cold.

The OL pass-protected great in the first half. But the first drive of half #2, and Lang and Clifton let Osi slip in and he knocks away a TD pass probably, and we lose the fumble on the strip of Rodgers. Devastating.

That after the horseschit hail mary which was Woodson and Peprah's fault, a play after the pathetic defense, and Peprah with the slow bad angle on Bradshaw, could not tackle him and end the half, allowing the play to occur.

Why didn't Capers/McCarthy call timeout before that Hail Mary play to make sure?

Why was Crabtree in there where he was the receiver on a 3rd & long?
It hit him in the hands/numbers... resulted in a punt instead of points.
He should never be a receiver on a 3rd & long when it means you have to sit guys from: Nelson, Jennings, Driver, Jones, Cobb, Finley.

Driver was awesome today. If everyone had his hands today, we'd have won this game.

So sad I am sickened, and that will linger for a long time.
Worst 15-1 season ever.
All 7 previous playoff games this season were won by the home team.
Till this schit.

I wonder about the affect that the punk kid who got hammered drunk and went into the river dying had on the overall team.
That probably affected the offensive preparation, and probably affected the mood/sharpness/mental toughness of a lot of the guys who suffered from it all week, then went to the kid's funeral Friday.

We could have used an easy game today with that crap, and the rust, but we got a great team, unlike what the AFC #1 team NE got. One more straw in the cap of why I hate the Patriots.
But today we would have lost to a lot of teams probably, although I give the Giants a lot of the credit. They popped out all those fumbles.

On a positive note: I specifically focused on Mike Neal a lot of times and the big fella generated some pass rush at times. Also hustled hard.

I used to defend Peprah. Never again. If Collins was in his shoes today, they would have gone 3 & out to open the game... also the 2 long Nicks touchdowns were a lot of Peprah's fault, and I think Collins prevents both of them. Please come back Nick.

Sad..... time to go into hibernation mode for a long time.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What bothered me the most about today was the reliance on players who shouldn't be relied on... An inside handoff to John Kuhn at midfield... Charlie Peprah not wrapping-up to tackle... Tom Grabtree dropping passes. Why are these players getting significant playing time?

Green Bay better franchise Flynn and trade him for a draft pick. They need defensive line and OLB depth horribly.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Firstly, let me just say congrats to the New York Giants. They played one hell of a game defensively and made us look just plain silly. I hope next year we can come out firing on all 8 cylinders for the whole season including the post-season.

Now then, as for the Packers of the hour. WHAT THE ****!? Seriously?! 9 dropped passes? 3 lost fumbles? Aaron Rodgers - one of the most accurate passers in the NFL - missing easy throws. A HAIL MARY CAUGHT FOR A TD!?!?!

Now then, I want the team to be thinking of one thing as they are cashing their final checks of the season: The NFC Divisional game.

Mike McCarthy: An onside kick in the first half. Really? Going for it on 4th and 5 instead of a field goal and the chance to pin Eli farther back in his own territory on the kick-off? That kind of play-calling is terrible, just terrible. I am even a guy who has not been too critical of him over the last few years.

I will say this, Aaron Rodgers really did play a decent game over all. He wasn't afraid to run when he needed to and he got us some key first downs and short down-and-distance situations. However, his passing was questionable. His precision was off, way off. The one play that sticks out in my mind is when he threw behind a WIDE OPEN Greg Jennings that could have been a TD. Next is the play on 3rd down when he just plain missed Jermichael Finley. To give Aaron some credit, it did appear that Finley held-up a bit but that is just inexcusable either way.

The receiving corps need a real kick in the pants this off season! 9 dropped passes in ANY game in terribad, but a playoff game is just unforgivable. This needs to be fixed, and next season we had better have the fewest dropped passes in NFL history. Good lord, the drops is the thing that, out of this game kills me the most.

I am just so pissed and distraught that I can't hardly think coherently, let alone type.

We will always have Super Bowl XLV...I just wanted XLVI too. I guess I wanted this team to be like the 49ers of the 80's. Back to back dominance. The silver lining is that even Joe Montana, Rodgers' idol, had 3 years between his first two Super Bowl (XVI - 16, and XIX - 19) victories.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today was the Packers' "Murphy Law" game... Anything that could go wrong did go wrong. When have you ever seen Aaron Rodgers miss wide-open receivers? When have you seen skill players not named Finley drop passes? John Kuhn hasn't lost a fumble all year. Aaron Rodgers hasn't lost a fumble all year. It was just a horrible, horrible game.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder about the affect that the punk kid who got hammered drunk and went into the river dying had on the overall team.

What the HELL is wrong with you?! I would gladly put up with an infinite number of losses like this if it meant Joe Philbin could get his son back! Why the hell would you slander a kid you don't even know? They still don't even know if he had a drop of alcohol in him, yet you come on here and slam the kid as if to blame HIM for the Packers losing a lousy playoff game.

You, sir, really need to examine your priorities in life. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself! Good God, what is wrong with the world today? Despicable.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That probably affected the offensive preparation, and probably affected the mood/sharpness/mental toughness of a lot of the guys who suffered from it all week, then went to the kid's funeral Friday.
Here's a really good detailed article about the incident.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...hug-day-team-won-super-bowl-article-1.1006353

Michael Philbin was out drinking at bars with friends.
The toxicology reports will be available in a month.

Maybe he wasn't drunk but you just don't go wandering around on ice over water during mild winters.
Anyone with common sense should know this.
So either the kid was just stupid or drunk or both.
If he was still alive, maybe the Packers would have won.
But maybe he can win a Darwin Award.
http://www.darwinawards.com/index.chapter1.html

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So because he was at a bar, that makes him a perfect scapegoat for losing yesterday. Unbelievable.

D

Dan115

Yeah the Packers lost despite the refs apparently being instructed to give us some help.

We sucked. Flatout sucked.

I wrote an article a month or so ago that said we'd be more successful in the run to the Super Bowl if we could play our HOME playoff games in the warmth of Miami. We should have moved Lambeau to Miami.
Our team is not assembled for cold weather. It's just not. We're a precision passing team, where hands, fingers, and feel are important. Not grind it out, battle of the line of scrimmage football.

Have we ever had as many drops, fumbles, bad throws as today? Nope.
Kuhn had never fumbled it away in his Packer career, til today. He should be used to the cold.
But most of our games are not played in cold.

The OL pass-protected great in the first half. But the first drive of half #2, and Lang and Clifton let Osi slip in and he knocks away a TD pass probably, and we lose the fumble on the strip of Rodgers. Devastating.

That after the horseschit hail mary which was Woodson and Peprah's fault, a play after the pathetic defense, and Peprah with the slow bad angle on Bradshaw, could not tackle him and end the half, allowing the play to occur.

Why didn't Capers/McCarthy call timeout before that Hail Mary play to make sure?

Why was Crabtree in there where he was the receiver on a 3rd & long?
It hit him in the hands/numbers... resulted in a punt instead of points.
He should never be a receiver on a 3rd & long when it means you have to sit guys from: Nelson, Jennings, Driver, Jones, Cobb, Finley.

Driver was awesome today. If everyone had his hands today, we'd have won this game.

So sad I am sickened, and that will linger for a long time.
Worst 15-1 season ever.
All 7 previous playoff games this season were won by the home team.
Till this schit.

We could have used an easy game today with that crap, and the rust, but we got a great team, unlike what the AFC #1 team NE got. One more straw in the cap of why I hate the Patriots.
But today we would have lost to a lot of teams probably, although I give the Giants a lot of the credit. They popped out all those fumbles.

On a positive note: I specifically focused on Mike Neal a lot of times and the big fella generated some pass rush at times. Also hustled hard.

I used to defend Peprah. Never again. If Collins was in his shoes today, they would have gone 3 & out to open the game... also the 2 long Nicks touchdowns were a lot of Peprah's fault, and I think Collins prevents both of them. Please come back Nick.

Sad..... time to go into hibernation mode for a long time.

I think Neal was a big time disappointment.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
So because he was at a bar, that makes him a perfect scapegoat for losing yesterday. Unbelievable.

The sentiment that what happened distracted the team is not what bothers me. For all I know, they couldn't get their heads in the game because of Joe Philbin's family tragedy.

If that really was the reason they performed so poorly, I forgive them.

What I can't quite believe I'm seeing are the shots taken at the coach's child, calling him "a problem" and a "punk".

I had a brother whose "problem" was schizophrenia. He died similarly (in the Milwaukee River, in winter), taking the "problem" upon himself by committing suicide.

Thank God Dad wasn't a Packer coach. I'd hate to hear what people would be calling my brother.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The sentiment that what happened distracted the team is not what bothers me. For all I know, they couldn't get their heads in the game because of Joe Philbin's family tragedy.

Yeah, that part's fine. I just happen to think it's a cop-out excuse.

What I can't quite believe I'm seeing are the shots taken at the coach's child, calling him "a problem" and a "punk".

Well, I think the nastiness is pretty much coming from a single source.

I had a brother whose "problem" was schizophrenia. He died similarly (in the Milwaukee River, in winter), taking the "problem" upon himself by committing suicide.

Thank God Dad wasn't a Packer coach. I'd hate to hear what people would be calling my brother.

Sorry to hear that, LC.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Yeah, that part's fine. I just happen to think it's a cop-out excuse.

Well, I think the nastiness is pretty much coming from a single source.

Sorry to hear that, LC.

The loss was probably a combination of things. The bottom line, of course, is that we played poorly for four quarters of football...whatever the reason(s).

Thank you for the sympathy - at least we had the comfort of knowing my brother wanted it that way. I honestly think the Philbins had it much worse. There's a feeling of helplessness that accompanies these things...much worse if you know your son needed and wanted help and there was none. I can't even imagine that part.

I wish we could all keep in mind that in comparison, losing a football game is just...nothing. Really - it's nothing.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
"Murphy's Law" is a great description of Sunday's game.

Two posters on this thread apparently just can't help but post their judgments of Michael Philbin. It must be great to have lived such a perfect life you two feel so comfortable publicly judging someone you didn't know. And to continue to do so just baffles me: You both made your feelings abundantly clear in another thread. So much so, I believe those posts were deleted. Think of the moment in your life when you were at your worst. Think of all the things that can affect human behavior. If you're Christians, I humbly suggest you read Bible verses on love, mercy, and forgiveness. Or don't and continue to harm your reputations, here. At least in my eyes and I'll bet in the eyes of a few others.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^

Nobody is "bashing" his son. People are just saying that his death may have contributed to the Packers lack of preparation. Death is a tough issue to deal with and might have contributed to the horrible play.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^

Nobody is "bashing" his son. People are just saying that his death may have contributed to the Packers lack of preparation. Death is a tough issue to deal with and might have contributed to the horrible play.

You may not be (I don't really keep a record of who said what) but some others have. That's what he's talking about.

I agree there are ways to talk about the impact this awful incident may have had without being insensitive and hurtful - would be good if we all tried a little harder to find them.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^

"I wonder about the affect that the punk kid who got hammered drunk and went into the river dying had on the overall team."

"Anyone with common sense should know this.
So either the kid was just stupid or drunk or both."

I could careless on what you think bashing is... This is just heartless! Just watch it!

Members online

Latest posts