1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers Murphy Takes 5: Player safety of paramount concern this offseason

Discussion in 'Official Packers.com News' started by News Bot, Mar 2, 2013.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +50
    Source: Packers.com

2. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Somebody should set up a POLL in here about who does and doesn't think this whole player safety/concussion thing is overrated as an issue.

Wasn't Murphy as a player a hard hitting safety, kinda known as a head hunter? That didn't stop him from getting his advance college degrees and moving on as a leader.

I wish somebody would cross-check the cases of concussions ruining post-career lives with other causes - specifically, PEDs and recreational drug use. I point to Jim McMahon as the most obvious red flag in that area. There is a really tiny percentage of McMahon/Seau/etc. situations anyway, and I suspect most of those could just as well be attributed to other things.

Two of the most concussion-plagued careers I recall were Steve Young and Troy Aikman - both reputedly clean livers - and they seem to have turned out OK.