Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone with ESPN Insider post the #4 and #5 observations from this article? If you're not comfortable posting ESPN's "protected" content, maybe just a short summary of what they were saying in #4 and #5? Thanks.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Grasping the offense" and "executing the offense with Brian Urlacher ready to drill you" are two different things.

I hope Aaron is ready to play. I don't want him to fail. The future of the Packers is riding on his ability to pick it up.

But the question that never seems to be asked his way is: "if you're so darn good, why haven't you pushed Brett Favre?" What that tells me(ignoring for a moment the P.R. B.S.) is he still isn't able to beat out a 38 year old quarterback.

Apparently Rodgers hasn't improved THAT much, or there would be stories about "tough decision for McCarthy at QB" coming out. Haven't seen those yet.

Lets see Rodgers efficiently move the offense in the pre-season, like Matt Hasselbeck did. Then we'll make proclamations.

I don't think anyone in the national media or local green bay media is expecting Rodgers to unseat Favre like Steve young did to Joe Montana. I think they are simply pointing out he finally looks like he could be ready to start in the NFL at some point in his career. I haven't read anything about MVP candidate or Pro Bowl caliber QB. That's what it would take for him to unseat Favre in Green Bay. Just simply looking like a starter would be a drastic improvement from years past with Rodgers and early reports says that's what he's doing.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone with ESPN Insider post the #4 and #5 observations from this article? If you're not comfortable posting ESPN's "protected" content, maybe just a short summary of what they were saying in #4 and #5? Thanks.

They are already posted on page 5 of the "Official Training Camp Reports Thread." Here they are:

4. A former weakness is now a strength

A year ago, the offensive line was the team's biggest question mark. Now it's one of the team's strengths. In a move made out of desperation, the Packers developed three rookies along the interior of the offensive line last season. "I think there is a whole different mentality," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "Two years ago it was different; when the rookies came in, it was kind of patchwork. Now it's like we are building something together." The taller Daryn Colledge is the better pass-blocker, which is why he's at left guard. Jason Spitz is perhaps a better athlete and combines both skills at right guard, and Scott Wells established himself as a solid center. There has to be some long-term concerns at tackle, with Tauscher now 30 years old and left tackle Chad Clifton 31. Of course, there is so much youth on the Packers, the last thing they should worry about is age. This line should be together for two or three more years, which could put it among the best in the league if the players continue to grow together.

5. Who's the new guy?

Little attention would be given to cornerback Frank Walker on any other team. Walker's name is known here because he's the only acquisition (other than draft choices) to join the Packers this offseason. He looks like a solid third corner. Thompson has taken a lot of local and national criticism for doing so little outside of the draft, but the logic is simple: He believes in building through the draft. "People say I don't like free agency, but I like it fine," Thompson said. "I think it's a decent tool, but just to go sign a guy if you don't think he's better than the guy you have just because of name recognition doesn't make any sense." His roster still includes 28 of the 31 draft choices he's selected since taking charge in 2005. Six are now starters, with linebacker A.J. Hawk being the one with Pro Bowl potential.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
His roster still includes 28 of the 31 draft choices he's selected since taking charge in 2005. Six are now starters, with linebacker A.J. Hawk being the one with Pro Bowl potential.

These numbers are incorrect. There are currently 27 of Ted Thompson's draft picks on their current roster out of the 34 he has selected. It would also probably fair to wait until after final roster cutdowns this year before basing opinions on stats such as these. 54% of the players drafted in 2005, 83% of those drafted in 2006 and 100% of those drafted in 2007 are still on the roster. So about 1/3 of them haven't even been on the team long enough to make the roster or be cut yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts