Moving Woodson to Safety...

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we do draft a CB in the early rounds, do you think it's a good possibility that Woodson will be moved to safety? Harris seemed to be the one who had the most trouble this season, so would moving Woodson really be an option they would consider? Also, what d-backs from around the league will be free agents?

OP
OP
N

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Harris is the better fit at Safety than Woodson.. IMO..

The reason I ask is because weren't we originally looking at Woodson as a safety? It seems like it's a move he'd be more willing to make than Harris would.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. He signed for Green Bay instead of Tampa Bay because Tampa wanted him to play safety while Green Bay wanted him as a CB

2. Woodson wouldn't last a game because of his health, the safety position takes a much larger physical toll on the player.

3. Who would play at CB? Bush? Williams? Walker? Blackmon?

OP
OP
N

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. He signed for Green Bay instead of Tampa Bay because Tampa wanted him to play safety while Green Bay wanted him as a CB

That's right...I knew it was something like that. I just got it turned around.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

why?

I agree. Why?

I think while both are physical, both get pushed around a LOT (see: Giants game [Plaxico\Harris, Woodson\Jacobs]).

I think that when their CB skills decline (and it has begun. believe that), they will be pretty useless, other than leadership and teaching the young guys.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see this as an option. If a CB moves up or comes and can unseat either from the starting role, I would still not see either moving position.

They would just drop to #3 on the depth chart.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Pack93z said:

why?

I agree. Why?

I think while both are physical, both get pushed around a LOT (see: Giants game [Plaxico\Harris, Woodson\Jacobs]).

I think that when their CB skills decline (and it has begun. believe that), they will be pretty useless, other than leadership and teaching the young guys.

What skills degrade as time goes on.. speed and agility. Their knowledge of the game nor ability to react to play diminishes. The natural progression of a CB as age creeps up is to try to extend their careers by playing them at safety. Many CB's have made that transition very well when there speed starts to decline. Trom, I know you have issues with Harris in particular to two games this season.. but he still has lots of value at either position.

Why Harris at Safety than Woodson.. to me, Harris is more physical than Woodson and would make the transition easier. He is physical enough to play the bigger bodied players such as a TE or Back. My opinion is that Woodson wouldn't be able to take the physical abuse that a safety is subjected to. Additionally I think Harris's straight line speed, which was marginal at best in prime, has decreased to the point where he would be more effective in a safety slot. Woodson playing speed doesn't appear to have fallen off.

But I find it funny, in the course of a single game they go from solid players to marginal players at best.

But asked if we should move one of them to Safety.. Harris fits the bill better than Woodson, IMO.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither should go to safety. One of their main strengths is that the other one is at the other corner.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
bozz_2006 said:
Pack93z said:

why?

I agree. Why?

What skills degrade as time goes on.. speed and agility. Many CB's have made that transition very well when there speed starts to decline. Trom,

I have no issue with their speed\agility. I probably won't next year either.

It's basically 'matchups'

and I am going to be saying this a lot when it comes to Al\Chuck. They are our #1 and #2 but their styles are too similar. This is a bad thing.

Example: Charles Tillman(Chicago). This kid is very good, mostly against bigger WRs. The kid can BANG, then run down the field with them. However, he has trouble with smaller faster WRs.

MATCHUPS.

We have Al and Chuck. Two smaller\fast guys who can surprisingly BANG(jam, in this case) at the LoS, and do their thing with success most of the time.

EXCEPT....against bigger WRs(hello, plaxico).

Nobody is perfect. But this is a problem. Both of our 'aces' have the same strengths\weaknesses. They don't compliment eachother. They both do the same thing. There is no guy(that I know of. Maybe he's on our roster right now) on our team that can go "oh a big guy? lets see him push me around."

Thompson needs to address this, or MM needs to make up for it(safety help,etc).

The fact that both are getting old doesn't help.

I think CB is our weakest position on the team going into next year, mostly because Al\Chuck likely wouldn't get 'benched' if they suck.

Matchups. We need a big banger. We need a Peanut.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Trom, that is gameplanning and in game adjustments that fall more so on the coaches than the players. But I believe that is why alot of people don't play our style of defense.. you are dependant on your CB's winning the battle at the LOS.. where as a cover two, zone or less of a jamming style of play at corner, they have more time to react.

IMO.. if you want change.. either like you say get a thumper at CB or have the ability to adjust your defensive playcalling to a different style. With growth at safety, I guarantee that we will see the ability to bail out of our press defense at corner.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety has too much floating around and finding the man to cover for Harris to be good at it. He's good man to man, sucks at zone, he'd suck at safety.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to remember that Plaxico has been around and knows how to get off the jam. He is very good at keeping the defenders hands off. I don't know of many CB that are better at the jam.

GB has been depending on CB to get to the WR, hold them up and allow the DLine time to get to the QB. When that was not working the DC should have adjusted, maybe play them back sometimes, or line up in press but drop back at the snap.

I still don't see a CB that is on the team or that is going to come in either in FA or the draft that is going to be better then either, with the exception of Trufant who is probably not going to get away from Seattle.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Safety has too much floating around and finding the man to cover for Harris to be good at it. He's good man to man, sucks at zone, he'd suck at safety.

Interesting.. he played a zone scheme in Philly and excelled at it.. stuck behind two front line players but he played well.

What makes you think he can't play zone?

Curious. When rolling into a zone the last couple years we had major communications issue in the exchange from corner to safety.. considering that the safeties have all been replaced.. it is apparent that they owned a majority of the issue.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Why?

They are not pretty much useless. They can be beaten. HUGE difference.

Against regular WRs, Harris and Woodson take them out of the game. The biggest, strongest WRs however get the better of Harris and Woodson, a la Plaxico & TO.

In a situation like Plaxico and TO, you get help. you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater. That was the mistake we made. It was a simple adjustment. Send Bigby over there and there's a good chance you'll see Bigby running with the football in his hands.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
bozz_2006 said:
Pack93z said:

why?

I agree. Why?

What skills degrade as time goes on.. speed and agility. Their knowledge of the game nor ability to react to play diminishes. The natural progression of a CB as age creeps up is to try to extend their careers by playing them at safety. Many CB's have made that transition very well when there speed starts to decline. Trom, I know you have issues with Harris in particular to two games this season.. but he still has lots of value at either position.

Why Harris at Safety than Woodson.. to me, Harris is more physical than Woodson and would make the transition easier. He is physical enough to play the bigger bodied players such as a TE or Back. My opinion is that Woodson wouldn't be able to take the physical abuse that a safety is subjected to. Additionally I think Harris's straight line speed, which was marginal at best in prime, has decreased to the point where he would be more effective in a safety slot. Woodson playing speed doesn't appear to have fallen off.

But I find it funny, in the course of a single game they go from solid players to marginal players at best.

But asked if we should move one of them to Safety.. Harris fits the bill better than Woodson, IMO.

I don' think either of them is going to be moved any time soon. Both are elite NFL CB's and safety isn't as big as a concern as it was one year ago.

I don't agree with Harris being the better safety. Woodson tackles better and has better technique. He has the instincts of a safety and he is playing CB. When I factor that in, I'd take Woodson at FS over Al Harris. Harris plays bump and run well and gets into receivers faces but when it comes to actually getting low and tackling, his technique is not the best, that's for sure. He also has horrible ball skills compared to Woodson and his range would be more limited.

Agree that neither should be moved even if we draft a CB early on. Disagree on who would be better to move. Just my two cents.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I agree. Why?

They are not pretty much useless. They can be beaten. HUGE difference.

Easy cowboy, I said they WILL be useless, I didn't say they ARE.

Except that Al harris. Damn him!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris can't tackle for ****.

To qualify that, he doesn't miss a lot of tackles, but they're all high, and he just drags them out of bounds or to the ground. A safety needs to be able to lay the lumber, and Al CAN NOT do that. I don't think Wood is the logical choice at safety either. Who do i think we should have at safety? Well....

Bigby and Collins............... and Rouse.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

Interesting.. he played a zone scheme in Philly and excelled at it.. stuck behind two front line players but he played well.

Curious. When rolling into a zone the last couple years we had major communications issue in the exchange from corner to safety.. considering that the safeties have all been replaced.. it is apparent that they owned a majority of the issue.

Most people around here would agree that Harris struggles in zone coverage. Wasn't that one of the reasons many on here felt T.O. beat him in the Dallas game? Harris was pushed into zone do to Wood being out. I think a lot of people would agree that one of Al's weaknesses is zone coverage.

Sorry if this came off critical/ harsh, I didn't mean it to be.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:

Most people around here would agree that Harris struggles in zone coverage. Wasn't that one of the reasons many on here felt T.O. beat him in the Dallas game? Harris was pushed into zone do to Wood being out. I think a lot of people would agree that one of Al's weaknesses is zone coverage.

Sorry if this came off critical/ harsh, I didn't mean it to be.

Did I watch the same Dallas game. I seem to remeber TO going in motion to get away from Al and running crossing routes because Woody was out. How many passes did TO catch when Harris was covering him. The INT that was overturned because of an early whistle. The almost catch drop INT in the endzone.

Members online

Latest posts