Moves.......

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember an old Three Stooges movie where the guys were all piled up in an old truck going down the road. Whichever one was driving couldn't do so worth a lick. He was all over the place, running stuff over, swerving everwhere, and finally, they hit a barn full of old tires.

The next scene showed the three of them sitting there with old tires around their necks and Mo says "Boy, am I tired".

Now lets see here.

Brett won't move till he sees TT making some moves to produce a winner. Teddy isn't sure exactly what moves to make that would surely satisfy Brett to move. Maybe making a move to sign Arrington and/or Woodson will move Brett.....but

Arrington and Woodson want to move to a winner also. They want to know what move Brett's going to make which will help them decide what direction they move.

So right now nobody's moving. Wonderful.

Boy. Am I tired!!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice analogy Warhawk. I think Brett is coming back, but for some reason nothing appears to be happening until after the draft. Maybe we are trying to sell picking a quarterback hoping someone will jump ahead of us to draft Vince or Cutler. That would be sensible in this unreasonable situation we are currently in.

I will continue to assume Brett is coming back until I hear otherwise from the man himself.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty much back to the chicken or the egg theory. Or as we called it growing up, (like when you're sitting at a foreway stop and no one is going) a mexican standoff. (not trying to be offensive, not sure why it was called that.)

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's how I see it -

The Packers, nor any other team, can ever afford to make off-season moves with the intent of placating any one single player. They need to be made with the team's future (this season, next season and beyond) in mind.

How many times have veteran players in all sports gone all the way through training camp and even into the season and then hung it up? It happens andit could happen to Packers yet.

Thompson and McCarthy need to (and I believe are) planning to play with the roster they have (plus the draft). But they are preparing to move ahead if the situation demands it - as they must be. That preparation can't and shouldnt necessarily have to mean signing a big name FA just because they think (or perhaps the fans think?) it would sway Favre's mind. What if Favre finally announces he'll be back but get's hurt in pre-season?

Team's really can build through the draft. The Packers have done it for the most part. Look at my Steelers - their biggest FA pickup of recent years was Duce Staley - and he hardly even played during their Super Bowl season. They played a team built through the draft.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see the man play another year or 2. He's still capable and is amazing to watch whether the team is 12-4 or 4-12.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an All Star team of Packer Fan posters from across the country. Al, NC, ND, ND, and CA. Very nice!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget what Brett wants, TT should be building the Packers to be a winning football team. If signing Arrington and/or Woodson helps them be a winner it's what he should do. And the added benefit may be that Brett then returns for another year while these younger draft picks develop. But even if he doesn't, they still help the team improve.

Many people seem to think this is an either/or type situation where we either have to be building for the present or building towards the future. IMO, we can be doing both. Signing younger, proven veterans in many cases makes more sense than spending the same money on unproven early-round draft picks. And if we do get to the Super Bowl in a few years under TT's rebuilding plan, Arrington and Woodson would still be here to help us win it.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
dude change your name it brings back painful memories
I'm a bears fan. That has been the only thing to bring me joy in the past 20 years.
:cry:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys seem to be missing the point. Arrington and Woodson have not been signed because TT didn't offer what they wanted. Contracts have been offered, if it's not enough, see ya.

These guys are still out there, not only because TT won't give them enough, but because noone will give them what they want. They are just not worth it.

If this was 2004, Arrington would get his money. Unfortunately for him he has not produced in the 2 years since. You can say he was "in the doghouse" but the fact is in 17 games post injury he has only averaged 3 tackles a game. Paris Lenon gave us that.

Lavar WAS a great player, all over the field making plays. Recently though he he has been all over the field missing the plays he used to make.

As a unnamed Redskins coach said, "He's just not that good, he's constantly out of position and disrupts what the team is trying to do on Defense"

Can he regain his form? Possibly, but until then noone is going to pay him 10 million. As I have said many times before he's a sportscar with a 4-Cylinder. Maybe he can improve, but maybe he will never fully recover.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true, but you have to account for the fact that a lot of those games, he didn't start in or play very much in them at all. and THAT is because he was in the dog house. maybe he would have produced better if he was allowed to play the whole game. i can only imagine the effect of getting benched would have on an all-pro player with a huge ego.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I like the guy, don't get me wrong.

I would love to see him in a GB uniform but not at the price he wants. I just can't see paying this guy 10 million based on what he did 3 years ago

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if we did get Arrington and Woodson, we would really, really good on that side of the ball.
Kampman, KGB, Pickett, Barnett, Arrington, Harris, Woodson, Manuel, and Collins.
Wow.
That's the make up of a "D" that can win a lot of ball games.

We could concentrate of some guys on the offensive side of the ball in the draft if this were to happen.

Members online

Latest posts