Move CB up draft board

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does having the third most cap space in the NFL with no improvements made to the defense get this team closer to the Super Bowl? I'm not advocating a spending spree (and I'm positive that people will build some straw man when debating this) but the defense has gotten worse this off-season. People will talk about how all this free cap space will let the Packers "keep their guys" but that completely ignores that in future years there will be salaries coming off the books. The reasoning goes "if we sign this guy then we can't afford to re-sign Hayward or Daniels next year"...well, next year the Packers currently have a smaller cap number than they do this year ($11m less actually) so I'm not sure how an additional $5m on the cap this year (assuming that's what it would have taken to get Knighton as an example) would prevent the Packers from re-signing guys or put them in cap troubles.

Thompson's approach works. Packers are very competitive but I think people forget that it was Schneider who convinced Thompson (after a lot of cajoling) to sign Woodson. I'm not sure that there's a guy in the front office now who can balance out Ted's more conservative tendencies and I'm not sure how anyone can expect the defense to be better next season after replacing those lost with rookies.

OMG thank you? Another person who gets it! Haha

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pat response is that it's early yet. But their aren't many options.
Tick tock, tick tock........

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is TT saving money for? Like seriously? Is Raji about to get a huge payday haha

Never know. He might if he plays great. Hayward is more likely and is at least positioned for a big pay day if he holds up well starting.

Theres the possibility of extending say Lacy and a few others a year early.

H

HardRightEdge

Who is TT saving money for? Like seriously? Is Raji about to get a huge payday haha
He'll wait until after the draft, determine the holes that are still be filled, and maybe scrounge around for a player or two at that time; maybe resign a couple incumbents.

There are 31 other teams. Raji is probably about ready to do some team workouts. Somebody might give him a more lucrative prove-it deal than Thompson will offer. Given this most recent of free agency, we might say it's more likely than not. Then it would be a matter of whether he'll take a "home town" discount.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on an TT could've signed someone like Wilfork, or even Buster skrine and still had enough for Cobb and Bulaga. I'm starting to think that they dont want to improve the defense and keep all the pressure on the offense.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the plan.

Do we know for sure that he didn't inquire with Wilfork's agent? How do we know Wilfork wanted to come here at this point of his career? He has multiple ties to Houston, it wasn't just a random destination.

We always seem to just assume that because we have a great team and great QB, every FA out there wants to uproot their lives to come live and play in Green Bay.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True enough, adambr2. I don't know that we ever really know what goes on behind the scenes, for the obvious reasons.
I find it interesting however, that the Packers aren't mentioned as inquiring about any of the players we're talking about; that in reading an article yesterday that none of the agents mentioned the Packers, in fact going so far as to say no, the Packers weren't one of the teams that had contacted them.
And that even after guys had signed, the Packers weren't mentioned among teams involved in discussions with any players.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True enough, adambr2. I don't know that we ever really know what goes on behind the scenes, for the obvious reasons.
I find it interesting however, that the Packers aren't mentioned as inquiring about any of the players we're talking about; that in reading an article yesterday that none of the agents mentioned the Packers, in fact going so far as to say no, the Packers weren't one of the teams that had contacted them.
And that even after guys had signed, the Packers weren't mentioned among teams involved in discussions with any players.

Maybe Its just me but I remember the Packers being linked to players this offseason. Or maybe that was a different board that Revis' s name popped up on.

Its just they havent been linked to players certain fans want

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never sold on their interest in Revis. Reports that could be considered more credible, with players such as Wilfork, Dan Williams, any LB's, have the Packers not even so much as sniffing around.
Like I said, we'll probably never really know.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The packers weren't even mentioned really last year to be interested in Julius Peppers either. You can't assume that just because you haven't heard anything means nothing is happening.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers weren't even mentioned really last year to be interested in Julius Peppers either. You can't assume that just because you haven't heard anything means nothing is happening.

Which isn't what I'm saying or doing.
I never assume anything, which has kept me alive, made me prosperous, and kept me from making big mistakes throughout my life.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My best guess is that there are guys out there that the team inquires on that we never hear about, or if we do, it's much later. I would also guess the opposite is true and speculation forms where no inquiry has even been made (I believe this may be the case with Welker.)

So while rumors are fun and all, I try not to assume that we have actual interest in a guy just because his name is thrown out there, while at the same time not assuming that we haven't asked about a player just because his name hasn't come up. It does no good to publicly show your cards.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which isn't what I'm saying or doing.
I never assume anything, which has kept me alive, made me prosperous, and kept me from making big mistakes throughout my life.

Gotta slow you down a bit, though, huh? Have to structurally inspect the chair every time you sit down - can't assume it'll support your weight. :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta slow you down a bit, though, huh? Have to structurally inspect the chair every time you sit down - can't assume it'll support your weight. :)

Heh, nah, those kind of things I don't worry about. Some things you just take on faith. Like the food I buy at the store being safe. Or chairs.:tup:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would blame TT not wanting to get into a bidding war more than guys just not wanting to come to Green Bay. You can't honestly tell me Wilfork would have rather gone to Houston vs Green Bay. The Haloti Nngata trade to Detroit was also something that TT could've easily pulled off if he was the type of aggressive GM like the Scheiders and Bellicecks of the world...I'd even throw John Elway into that category . Yes the Packers win the NFC North every year it seems but honestly?? This division isn't that great. A big signing or even trade wouldn't handicap the cap if TT really is the genius some of you claim him to be.

Not going to bash the guy but he needs to be more aggressive and stop putting so much stock in his "draft and develop" methods. I'm really anxious to see how he fills these holes. In willing to bet anyone that the defense finishes in the 20's next season.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Peppers release was reported on March 11. He was cut as the top-51 cap went into affect with the start of the league year on March 10. The Packers announced his signing on March 15.

The cap-casualty-cut phase of the free agent period, as with Peppers, is two weeks in the rear view mirror. Nearly all of the deck chairs have been rearranged. There were a few cuts of note; they've already been signed.

Once the draft is complete, we might see a few more cuts of note as teams shed a few vets pegged for replacement by draftees to clear some excess cap baggage. It will not be a bounty by a long shot. Also, the free agents of any value who are still hanging out there are betting they might get a better deal from a team that couldn't fill their position in the draft.

In that last group I'm not seeing any outside FAs of particular note at positions of need. Raji, Kuhn, Flynn and/or Lattimore might get re-upped at that point. Guion's disposition with respect to the duration of suspension is a wild card.

The next phase is the season-ending training camp injuries where a team might sift through the list of available players for a stop-gap replacement. Then there's the final phase...training camp cut downs as teams get to the final 53.

Getting a reasonably priced starter at a position of need from this point forward is doubtful except for the in-house FAs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres money to bring in a guy or two... But now there's really no one on the market I'm to excited about. Will Teddy be willing to trade on draft day to improve the roster? I know he's not afraid to swap picks but I don't think he's the type to swap picks for a player. He just seems like the type of guy who doesn't like to take chances..but rather stick to his philosophy rather if it works or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Come on an TT could've signed someone like Wilfork, or even Buster skrine and still had enough for Cobb and Bulaga. I'm starting to think that they dont want to improve the defense and keep all the pressure on the offense.

According to Darrelle Revis the Packers were one of the teams interested in signing him. Thompson for sure tries to improve the defense but sometimes it doesn´t work out the way planned.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rest-from-packers-ravens?campaign=twitter_atn

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Darrelle Revis the Packers were one of the teams interested in signing him. Thompson for sure tries to improve the defense but sometimes it doesn´t work out the way planned.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rest-from-packers-ravens?campaign=twitter_atn

Yea and it seems to be a trend. Just like having a defense ranked in the bottom half of the league every year. If you're going to hang on to Capers then you better surround him with adequate talent. Period.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yea and it seems to be a trend. Just like having a defense ranked in the bottom half of the league every year. If you're going to hang on to Capers then you better surround him with adequate talent. Period.

The Packers defense has finished four times in the top half of the league in points allowed during Capers´ six year tenure as defensive coordinator.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would blame TT not wanting to get into a bidding war more than guys just not wanting to come to Green Bay. You can't honestly tell me Wilfork would have rather gone to Houston vs Green Bay. The Haloti Nngata trade to Detroit was also something that TT could've easily pulled off if he was the type of aggressive GM like the Scheiders and Bellicecks of the world...I'd even throw John Elway into that category . Yes the Packers win the NFC North every year it seems but honestly?? This division isn't that great. A big signing or even trade wouldn't handicap the cap if TT really is the genius some of you claim him to be.

Not going to bash the guy but he needs to be more aggressive and stop putting so much stock in his "draft and develop" methods. I'm really anxious to see how he fills these holes. In willing to bet anyone that the defense finishes in the 20's next season.

I can't tell you with complete certainty that Vince Wilfork preferred Houston over us. Here's what I can tell you:

1) He obviously had interest in Houston, since he signed with them, while his interest in us is unknown.

2) The weather is much nicer in Texas than Wisconsin in the winter.

3) Wilfork already has multiple rings, so he isn't some aging vet at the end of his rope just desperate to get his first Lombardi.

4) He has 4 coaches in Houston (Crennel, Vrabel, O'Brien, Godsey) that he has either played with or been coached by before.

5) He said, "Me and my family, we're excited to be here in Houston"

So while I can't tell you with complete certainty that Wilfork preferred Houston, the facts I've presented above are pretty compelling evidence that he did. Despite all that, you say, "You can't honestly tell me Wilfork would have rather gone to Houston vs Green Bay"

The assumptions we make about these guys lives based on almost nothing just amazes me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think any defensive coordinator needs adequate talent. Period.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense has finished four times in the top half of the league in points allowed during Capers´ six year tenure as defensive coordinator.

I like how you just put points allowed. Now what about total defense? Hmmm?? You left that stat out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like how you just put points allowed. Now what about total defense? Hmmm?? You left that stat out.

Last time I checked the outcome of an NFL game is decided by points scored.

And just in case you really care about it the Packers defense has finished four times in the top half of the league in yards allowed over the last six seasons as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts