Most memorable Packer seasons for you? (other than Super Bowl years)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all can agree the Super Bowl years are the most memorable for most of us, so I'm just curious what seasons other than those really stick out as memorable in the years you've been watching. For me there were several:

1989 - Only because this was my first year where I really started to get into the Packers. I was 7. I watched a fan favorite Don Majkowski lead the Packer to an improbable 10-6 record. I watched the last game of the year on I believe Monday night as the Vikings needed to lose to the Bengals for the Packers to win the division and make the playoffs. They didn't.

2003 - As much as I dislike Favre now, I found it impossible at the time not to get sucked into the late-season drama. The Monday Night performance after his father's passing. And then in one of my most memorable moments as a Packer fan, watching an unbelievable rally down by 11 by the league-worst Cardinals against the Vikings capped by an improbable Josh McCown to Nathan Poole touchdown on 4th and 24 as time expired to win us the division. Followed up by Al Harris' pick 6 in OT the following week against the Seahawks in the "we want the ball and we're gonna score" playoff game. It's such a shame that 4th and 26 defined this season -- this could have been a Super Bowl team.

2007 - After a couple years of a mini-rebuild, being a Packer fan became fun again this year. They surpassed all expectations with a 13-3 season and I was in Green Bay for the run to the NFC title game capped by a devastating OT loss in the bitter cold.

2013 - Though we didn't win a playoff game, the 2013 will be memorable to me simply because of everything that was overcome to win a division yet again. The injuries, missing Rodgers half the season, and every time it seemed our season was dead, something would happen to restart the heartbeat on it. There was no hope left for the season down 26-3 at halftime to the Cowboys, yet somehow, an unbelievable 2nd half rally, some help, and a Rodgers to Cobb pass to beat the Bears later, the 2013 season was not lost. Still proud of the team in the game against the 49ers despite the heartbreaking loss.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should also mention 1995. First division title in 23 years. And it was all made possible by Yancey Thigpen, a Pro Bowl receiver for the Steelers who somehow dropped a TD pass on 4th down in the closing seconds of the last game of the season against the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´ll add 2009 and 2011 to the seasons listed above. Although we didn´t win a playoff game in any of those seasons it was fun to watch Aaron develop into an elite QB in 2009 and the 15-1 regular season in 2011 was just amazing (still can´t believe we lost our only game against the Chiefs, with me having to watch that game with the worst Chiefs fan of all time after I told him the entire week there´s absolutely no chance they´re going to beat us).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1989 for sure but really 1994 and 1995. 1989 was spectacular because it came out of nowhere, but there wasn't a vibe that it could continue - Comeback Pack / Cardiac Pack. The 94 and 95 seasons were like someone finally inflating our raft. We'd been floating listlessly for so many years but now we could finally see progress. Favre would be so excited he would overthrow all his receivers at the start of each game...by a few feet. The defense was getting better and better under Fritz Shurmer. We still had the glass ceiling hanging over us in the form of the Dallas Cowboys, but we could all sense something special brewing.

1996 and 1997 were great seasons for sure but the journey to those magic seasons was even better for me. I still get goose bumps thinking about the 1995 playoff game versus the 49ers, and still want to jump out of my chair thinking about Wayne Simmons massive hit that forced the fumble, and set a path for the Packers towards the Super Bowl the following year.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1982 was one of mine. I remember when we got Jefferson like it was yesterday... the feeling of..."Wow, now THIS is a special offense... now we're dabbling in big boy territory". ....Lofton......Coffman...JJ...****ey... it was all very new to me as a fan to have such a potentially explosive offense.

Of course the last Super Bowl was fantastic and number one on my list. To win the Super Bowl was amazing. To beat the Steelers was fantastic. For Rodgers to play great, get the game MVP and slam it in the face of BrentINT FavreINT...P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S.:laugh::laugh::laugh::tup:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The sixties were all great for a kid who was just starting to like football. But I have to give a tip of the hat to 93 when Reggie White was signed. Something in that year happened to the Packers that made all of us desperate fans think. "Wow, this team can really go all the way." Then in 96 the Super Bowl after such a long drought was unforgettable.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There’s so many it’s tough to choose.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There’s so many it’s tough to choose but kind of like El Quapo, one of the most enjoyable strings of seasons for me was 1992 to 1996. I was so excited Harlan hired Wolf near the end of the 1991 season to be in charge of football operations (kudos to Pat Sheridan, a host on Milwaukee sports talk radio in the early 1980s for emphasizing the structure of the organization was a huge problem – Harlan fixed it) and they improved each season during that stretch. 1992: After 13 years of 8-8 or worse with the exception of the strike season and the "miraculous" 1989 season) the Packers recorded a winning season. 1993: After a 20-year absence from the playoffs (except strike season) they made it as the 6th seed and won at the Lions before losing to the 'boys. 1994: Made the playoffs again as the fourth seed and hosted and beat the Lions (that was the -1 rushing game for Barry Sanders) before getting beat by the 'boys. 1995: Finished first in the division for the first time since 1972(!), won two playoff games before losing to guess who in the NFC Championship game.

I could just feel it building season by season. Then on opening day 1996, they hammered the Bucs 34-3 in Tampa. I remember watching that game 2 or three times before they played their next game (still have that entire season on VHS). Everyone remembers Favre at the top of his game – a 3-1 TD to INT ratio – leading that prolific offense (they were even 11th in rushing) but the D was equally dominating: That Reggie White defense allowed 3 fewer TDs than the Bears’ 1985 D. First in scoring offense and defense and Desmond Howard returning punts and kick offs! What a payoff to a steadily improving team.

Tampa game- keith jackson hurddles a guy on way to endzone?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1982 was one of mine. I remember when we got Jefferson like it was yesterday... the feeling of..."Wow, now THIS is a special offense... now we're dabbling in big boy territory". ....Lofton......Coffman...JJ...****ey... it was all very new to me as a fan to have such a potentially explosive offense.

Of course the last Super Bowl was fantastic and number one on my list. To win the Super Bowl was amazing. To beat the Steelers was fantastic. For Rodgers to play great, get the game MVP and slam it in the face of BrentINT FavreINT...P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S.:laugh::laugh::laugh::tup:
I LOVED John Jeffereson.
Lofton and him were awesome... but never reached the heights I expected or wanted.... wasn't Air Coryell and Dan Fouts afterall.

Members online

Latest posts