Moss Getting Closer To Green Bay

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from kffl.com

Packers | Team to discuss possibility of trading for R. Moss
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:25:11 -0800

ESPN.com reports the Green Bay Packers' leadership is expected to discuss a potential trade for Oakland Raiders WR Randy Moss when it meets Tuesday, March 13. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, a trade sending Moss to the Packers is already in discussion stages. According to an unnamed league source, Packers general manager Ted Thompson has already been in direct talks with Raiders managing general partner Al Davis about the move. According to sources, the teams have discussed the trade for a month and the Packers have been given permission to talk to Moss' agent about restructuring his contract. "They're going to get rid of him," a source said, according to the Journal-Sentinel. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."

From Packerchatters.com ( he is stupid but I posted it anyways)
It wouldn't surprise me if a deal for Randy Moss got
done as soon as today between the Packers and Moss.

A deal was in place 2 Fridays ago, but Al Davis wanted
to drive the price up by using one of the Patriots 2 1st
round picks. There are a few different scenarios one
being Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and a #4 for Moss, another a
3rd for Moss and finally KGB and a conditional pick (no higher
then a 2 next year) for Moss

From JSOLINE.COM

Green Bay - At some point this morning, Ted Thompson will make his monthly presentation to his bosses at the Green Bay Packers and the subject of his keen interest in acquiring Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss undoubtedly will top the agenda.

At that time, chairman of the board Bob Harlan, President John Jones and six members of the executive committee will hear details from Thompson regarding his plan to add Moss, and the general manager will learn what management has to say about the raging debate in Packer Nation.

"Ted has not spent a lot of time talking to me about it, quite honestly," Harlan said Monday. "Ted always starts out our meetings with a football report so he may get into that."

Sources have said the two teams have been discussing Moss for more than a month. On Monday, a source familiar with the inner workings of both organizations said Thompson had spoken directly with Raiders owner Al Davis about dealing for Moss.

"They're going to get rid of him," the source said. "I think they think they can trade him. And I know Green Bay has interest."

Thompson refuses to discuss Moss, and Davis always operates under a veil of secrecy. Tim DiPiero, the agent for Moss, was unavailable for comment.

But the source said he was confident that Packers negotiator Andrew Brandt, with permission from Davis, already had had preliminary talks to restructure Moss' remaining base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08.

Davis is 77 and struggles to walk, but Raiders employees maintain that he remains as competitive as ever. If

Thompson is passionate about anything, it would be holding on to his draft choices.

It's possible that the two sides might not agree on compensation until summer, if at all, with Davis holding out for at least a second-round pick to save face and Thompson hoping he'll just waive Moss and gain a reported $8 million in cap space.

"But Al is stubborn," one source said. "He might hang on to the guy and tell the new coach (Lane Kiffin) just to go (expletive) coach him."

In the end, Thompson might part with a middle-round choice for the 30-year-old Moss, a devastating deep threat for seven seasons in Minnesota but a dud in Oakland for the last two.

If the Packers were to offer a player, the source said the Raiders wouldn't have any interest in quarterback Aaron Rodgers but indicated that defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or defensive tackle Corey Williams might have considerable appeal to them. The Packers insist Rodgers isn't available, anyway.

Despite acquiring wide receivers Donte' Stallworth, Kelley Washington and Wes Welker in the last week, New England admires Moss and still might take him, one source said. Tampa Bay also has interest but probably only if it can't select Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson with the No. 4 pick.

Today in the board room, Thompson will find out whether the men who run the franchise can stomach having Moss on the team. In fairness to Thompson, Harlan said he didn't know yet if the opposition to Moss would preclude a match being made.

"I've told Ted about the calls I've gotten but I haven't talked to him since Fan Fest ended or what happened today," said Harlan, who had just finished fielding five more calls on Moss.

"When it first started as a rumor, Ted came in to see me. I told him, 'I don't know what you're thinking about Randy Moss but I've got to let you know that the initial response I'm getting is not good.' It has settled down a little bit since then. I'd say it's been maybe 65-35% anti."

On Monday, Harlan shared the contents of a fax and phone call that summarized the no-Moss sentiment.

"One man wrote, 'Moody. Excess baggage. Disruptive. Do any of these words sound like alarm bells to you?' " Harlan said. "One guy called from out of state and said, 'Bob, I'd rather see you go 0-16 than do that.' Isn't that something?

"They're very passionate about it. A lot of it probably is the mooning thing. They just won't forgive him for doing that."

Other fans equate the situation to the '96 waiver pickup of character risk Andre Rison, a late-season starter on the Super Bowl team.

"People say to me, 'Brett (Favre) needs a big target. I know he's got baggage but he's never hurt anybody,' " Harlan said. "Today, they were all, 'Take a chance.' "

With Harlan ready to retire in late May, he vividly recalls the scandalous trials of the 1980s involving Mossy Cade and James Lofton.

"We've always talked about the public-relations image of the franchise and the class image of the franchise," Harlan said. "Those are important things to me, very important things to me.

"Ron Wolf was looking at a draft pick with baggage one year and he said, 'Where do you hide him in Green Bay?' And I said, 'You don't.' "
eqxs

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
interesting stuff

Where did I see this stuff b4??

O yeah the other 4 threads about Moss coming to GB

LOL LT, I was thinking that myself when I was wondering where to put this...so I'm putting it here.

I've heard good points on both sides of this neverending subject, and can see how each point could be made. But for me it's not the mooning incident, the off the field problems, the on the field problems, Brett having to control him or anything like that. The only part for me that seems a little hard to get past is the fact that Moss' route running isn't condusive to the west coast offense, is it?

I mean, I know he can get down the field and do the jump ball thingy (which Brett has GOT to be salivating over), but in those situations on 3rd and 4ish, and we need a clean, crisp route to be run so the 1st down can be achieved, is he going to run it the way it needs to be ran? I hate to ask a stupid question, I just don't know.

If I'm wrong, and this trade happens...welcome to the Packers, Randy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
tromadz said:
interesting stuff

LOL LT, I was thinking that myself when I was wondering where to put this...so I'm putting it here.

Shhhh, dont want to be called an a@@ from a Bear fan ( whom I think is a really good poster btw)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
tromadz said:
interesting stuff

how about not being an *** for once?

this was a good thread

I agree it is nice to have it all in one thread...Please dont make my sarcastic remarks make you think different..

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the thread count, and this IS a big topic for the Packernation, but I was just putting it out there if he was suit for the WCO...I don't know.

Hell, it might not matter even if he isn't, I just wondered.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record I think it's a great move. Sounds alot like the nay-sayers on Woodson last year. We all know how that turned out.

PS Thanks to the Mods for getting my account figured out.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the thread count, and this IS a big topic for the Packernation, but I was just putting it out there if he was suit for the WCO...I don't know.

Do the Packers really need a good route runner that goes across the middle though? Green Bay has Donald Driver and Greg Jennings both who are great route runners. Moss will be used primary as the Packers deep threat and in redzone situations. He fills two huge needs for the Packers in that perspective.

The only way I see Moss having to be a big time player across the middle for Green Bay is if Donald Driver goes down to injury. Though one can argue if Driver goes down to injury, Green Bay is screwed no matter what.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauEast said:

Do the Packers really need a good route runner that goes across the middle though? Green Bay has Donald Driver and Greg Jennings both who are great route runners. Moss will be used primary as the Packers deep threat and in redzone situations. He fills two huge needs for the Packers in that perspective.

The only way I see Moss having to be a big time player across the middle for Green Bay is if Donald Driver goes down to injury. Though one can argue if Driver goes down to injury, Green Bay is screwed no matter what.

Fair enough...let's do this!

scharles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
LambeauEast said:

Fair enough...let's do this!

I agree. This getting done would satisfy so many needs.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN quoted the McGinn article in MJS. Bob McGinn has one source that is not within the Packers or the Raiders and is not Randy Moss' agent.

One source rumor get reported, then repeated, and expanded on everywhere, then the lemmings are off running.

It is somewhat similar to Brett's final game at Lambeau at the end of the 05 season, I mean 06 season, I mean he could play for years.
How many threads were started on what the tea leaf readers were saying and how to interpret it all the minor details?

There are a lot of things that can screw up such a deal even if it were attempted.

Forget the Moss hoax stories. Don't be a lemming.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dude, it's the offseason. The Packers are desperate for a guy of Moss' supposed talent.

Stop harshing our mellow....

And to the lemming business, I say whatever. If I fall into the sea, so be it. As long as I'm wearing my Moss Packer jersey....

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Dude, it's the offseason. The Packers are desperate for a guy of Moss' supposed talent.

And to the lemming business, I say whatever. If I fall into the sea, so be it. As long as I'm wearing my Moss Packer jersey....

Yeah Calicheez what he said.

I'm torn on Moss, and have been since all these rumors started. But the one thing I can't reason away is this excited feeling I get thinking about him scoring a 70 yard touchdown in the Metrodome with Darlene giving up chase around the 20.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not gonna get to excited until its done, either way.
After all.......no "petition" is going to make a difference either way to the Packer organization. You can sign a million na,es to it, and it STILL wouldn't make any difference at all.
If Moss is here, then he's supposed to be here. If not, he won't be, and the Packers still will be playing next season, and i'll be cheering them on.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

Yeah Calicheez what he said.

I'm torn on Moss, and have been since all these rumors started. But the one thing I can't reason away is this excited feeling I get thinking about him scoring a 70 yard touchdown in the Metrodome with Darlene giving up chase around the 20.

it sure was nice seeing him give up on Driver! but I'm sure it won't happen with moss, since Sharper probably "knows all of Moss's moves" too. Right!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget the Moss hoax stories.

Schefner, Clayton, and Smith who are three well respected insiders have confirmed there is a lot of interest. Harlan talking about Moss nearly confirms that something is going on. Whether the Packers are toying with the idea or not they are at the very least intrigued by it.

If you don’t want Moss then fine. That’s understandable. However don’t be in denial over something that has been confirmed by many as a legit interest by the Green Bay Packers.