Moss could make fans forgive, forget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

By Mike Vandermause

The vision of Randy Moss pretending to moon Green Bay Packers fans at Lambeau Field during a Minnesota Vikings' playoff victory two years ago is hard to forget.

That's why reaction to rumors that Moss could be traded to the Packers has been decidedly mixed.

Moss is a five-time Pro Bowl wide receiver capable of filling the offensive playmaker role the Packers desperately need. But with his extraordinary skill comes potential baggage, which is something the Packers must ponder long and hard.

At first glance, the thought of Moss wearing a Packers' uniform seems far-fetched. His demeanor and attitude don't appear to be a good fit in Green Bay.

But stranger things have happened. Who would have predicted in 1996 that often-misunderstood receiver Andre Rison would become an integral part of the Packers' team that marched to a Super Bowl title?

During his short tenure here, Rison had no trouble fitting into a small-town environment. Winning tends to dissolve problems and shrink egos.

Who's to say Moss couldn't come to Green Bay and become the bona fide deep threat Brett Favre has been longing for? Moss would be a perfect complement to Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver. Moss and Driver would form the most dynamic receiving tandem Favre has seen, and opposing defenses would be tested severely.

Favre and Moss at one time had the same agent, Bus Cook. The players reportedly share a mutual respect. There can be no doubt Favre would love the opportunity to throw to Moss.

For that to become a reality, numerous obstacles must be cleared.

It's no secret Moss' team, the Oakland Raiders, have been shopping him. Moss had a forgettable two-year stint in Oakland. With no decent quarterback to throw him the ball and playing on an abysmal 2-14 club, Moss caught just 42 passes for 553 yards last year.

Some say he quit on his team. Others suggest the Raiders quit on him.

His less-than-stellar 2006 season has made Moss both available and affordable. The Raiders gave up a first-round draft pick (No. 7 overall), seventh-round pick and linebacker Napoleon Harris for Moss in March 2005.

The asking price should be much less this time.

The best guess is it would take a second-round draft pick to get Moss, who will turn 30 next week.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson made it clear he made no promises to Favre about bolstering the offense. Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are adamant that no player — even Favre — will dictate how they rebuild the team.

Thompson would rather stockpile draft picks than give them away, which makes a trade less likely.

There also is Moss' 2007 base salary of more than $9 million to consider. The Packers have enough room under the salary cap and could restructure the terms of the deal, but the sometimes-temperamental Moss wouldn't come cheap.

However, it's rare when a special player like Moss is available.

Assuming the trade terms are reasonable, the Packers should take a risk on a legitimate difference-maker.

Fans will have to forgive Moss for his past antics. But that's a small price to pay to acquire someone who can ignite the offense and elevate the Packers into a contending team.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Packers General Manager Ted Thompson made it clear he made no promises to Favre about bolstering the offense. Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are adamant that no player — even Favre — will dictate how they rebuild the team.

Thompson would rather stockpile draft picks than give them away, which makes a trade less likely.

That tears it...

When Favre retires, and this team tanks, Thompson and his perverse, tight-******, ego should be ridden out of Green Bay on a rail....

TT sounds like a big baby....

"Nobody is going to make ME do what I don't want to do..."

How did GB end up with such a repressed, anti-social, perverse, meglamaniacal GM..???

..."I'm takin' my ball and going home"....

(Do y'all think that TT wanted Favre to come back to the GB Packers now..??)

Favre should have left for another team when TT got off the plane from Seattle....

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

That tears it...

When Favre retires, and this team tanks, Thompson and his perverse, tight-******, ego should be ridden out of Green Bay on a rail....

How did GB end up with this repressed, anti-social, perverse, GM..???

What a maroon..."I'm takin' my ball and going home"....

I really hate TT...even more if he doesnt get at least one big time player....

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea...guys...I think TT is right when he states he won't sign just anyone for Brett. No player is bigger than the team. Not even Brett. Cmon, he's doing what's best for the GB Packers as a whole and for the future.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea...guys...I think TT is right when he states he won't sign just anyone for Brett. No player is bigger than the team. Not even Brett. Cmon, he's doing what's best for the GB Packers as a whole and for the future.

Get real.....Without a playmaker, Theres no hope for a superbowl, Favre will retire after next year, and we have to start all over and wait at least another 2-4 years until aaron grasps nfl play and makes us a contender, if he ever does.....Whats to look forward to???? The future is now.....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
wils0646 said:

Get real.....Without a playmaker, Theres no hope for a superbowl, Favre will retire after next year, and we have to start all over and wait at least another 2-4 years until aaron grasps nfl play and makes us a contender, if he ever does.....Whats to look forward to???? The future is now.....

Exactly...

But TT is going to throw his little tantrum and he'll be gone in a couple of years after a few years of futility with Aaron Rodgers at the helm...

(This guy has been given too much latitude and to much power...)

If he doesn't do something THIS YEAR in FA...they should FIRE his ***....

(Do you think Denver would have treated Elway this way...??)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Spoken like someone who has some intelligence. Good post!

I think Moss helps us NOW and COULD help us in the future. I am not a huge fan of how non chalant Ted appears to play Free Agency, but I'm glad I can trust our GM not to bury the Packers by making a bonehead trade or pickup that will hurt the team for years. (See Hershel Walker, Ricky Williams, etc)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

That tears it...

How did GB end up with such a repressed, anti-social, perverse, GM..???

Favre should have left for another team when TT got off the plane from Seattle....

this is odd..your claiming Ted is going to run the team the way he wants and claims he doesnt want Brett there..

But news flash---------Brett is playing this year and played under Ted for 2 other years..

So how is it Ted is caving with Brett being here but wont cave to get him Moss??

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
wils0646 said:

Exactly...

But TT is going to throw his little tantrum and he'll be gone in a couple of years after a few years of futility with Aaron Rodgers at the helm...

(This guy has been given too much latitude and to much power...)

If he doesn't do something THIS YEAR in FA...they should FIRE his ***....

(Do you think Denver would have treated Elway this way...??)

HAHAHA finally its about time I can really relate to another member on here that isnt afraid to speak the truth or lash out at the front office...Alot of people on here are about "the draft" and stocking up picks....Its so rare a player is on the market like this. And how many times do draft picks not pan out? Tons...Danny Wuerfell, Ron Dayne, Ricky Williams (has talent but hurt the saints.) I mean geeze u dont even know what the picks will do...We already released Carroll, what overall pick was he??? Tom Brady went in what round? Donald Driver went in what round?.....Do u people even remember we picked up brett not drafted him.....OPEN UR EYES!!! TT is a CLOWN.....If u wait on something to happen more times than not opportunities pass u by....U wait and wait and what ur waiting for turns out to not be what u expected...This is life...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

That tears it...

this is odd..your claiming Ted is going to run the team the way he wants and claims he doesnt want Brett there..

But news flash---------Brett is playing this year and played under Ted for 2 other years..

So how is it Ted is caving with Brett being here but wont cave to get him Moss??

He's not caving by Brett playing...

THERE'S NOTHING HE CAN DO ABOUT (EXCEPT CUT HIM, WHICH HE DOESN'T HAVE THE BALLS TO DO..), and it's galling him...

TT can't make Favre retire, but he wants him too....

Since he won't retire, TT will be a VINDICTIVE ***** and say, "I'm not signing anyone for Brett Favre or anybody".....

I can't believe you can't see that..!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think the time has to be now... or else it is goin to be 8 years from now till we have somethin this special again....

This is the 2nd year in a row brett has made a request an TT has shot it down harshly.....Brett has been in this league a long time....he knows what it takes to win...I trust bretts opinion tenfold to TT's....and everyone else here should also....If brett retires and became a GM all of yall would be pulling for him...So let him do it now....

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOT this again...

What is the matter here? Because TT didn't bring a superbowl trophy with him that makes him a bad GM?

First p@ck66 whined and cursed because of Sherman, now he whines and curses TT... Your favorite God, Brett Favre is back. Part of that decision is based on the fact that TT has, and is going to put together a competitive team.

Quit whining. Packers will be fine this year and the next. Though I DO agree with you that after Favre era might be difficult, TT is trying to get over that dilemna.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOT this again...

What is the matter here? Because TT didn't bring a superbowl trophy with him that makes him a bad GM?

First p@ck66 whined and cursed because of Sherman, now he whines and curses TT... Your favorite God, Brett Favre is back. Part of that decision is based on the fact that TT has, and is going to put together a competitive team.

Quit whining. Packers will be fine this year and the next. Though I DO agree with you that after Favre era might be difficult, TT is trying to get over that dilemna.

I DONT CONSIDER MISSING THE PLAYOFFS THE PAST 2 YEARS FINE!!!!! I DONT CONSIDER A 4 and 26 CONVERSION FINE!!!!!!! and I dont consider doing absolutly nothing about it FINE!!!!!!

I guess u happy with going from what we were with holgrem to being the arizona cards....

Look at the teams that have turned around....The saints..What did they do? went out and got drew brees.....What did the Ravens do ....Went out and got Mcnair.....Why cant we do the same????? Look at what happens when u wait on draft picks .... Does anyone remember grossman in the SB???? I do, they could have put kurt warner back there and had a better chance! ........

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
NOT this again...

And what about YOUR GOD TT..OBi1....???

What has he done to foster your unquestioning, slavish devotion to the him...over what Brett Favre has PROVEN to the GB organization..or are you privately "whining and cursing" about Brett Favre...????

And what if TT DOESN't put together a competitive team....? It's a very REAL possibility....

His record is 12-20 right now....

What's it going to be when Favre retires? What if TT never makes the Packers more than a .500 team and wastes the few years when he had a shot before Favre retires?

What's the excuse going to be then...Aaron's a rookie..give TT time? How much time does he need..? 8 years? 10 years? What has TT done to warrant such trust...?

Man..you guys are putting alot of your eggs in TT's basket....I just hope they don't smashed in your face..!

I'd rather put my trust in the guy who got the Packers to all those Championsips in the last 10 years...and his name isn't TT...it's Brett Lorenzo Favre..!!!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
NOT this again...

And what about YOUR GOD TT..OBi1....

Why has he done to foster such a unquestioning, slavish devotion to the man...over what Brett Favre has PROVEN to the GB organization..????

And what if TT DOESN't put together a competitive team....? It's a very REAL possibility....

What's it going to be when Favre retires? What if TT never makes the Packers more than a .500 team and wastes the few years when he had a shot before Favre retires?

What's the excuse going to be then...Aaron's a rookie..give TT time? How much time does he need..? 8 years? 10 years? What has TT done to warrant such trust...?

Man..you guys are putting alot of your eggs in TT's basket....I just hope they don't smashed in your face..!

I'd rather put my trust in the guy who got the Packers to all those Championsips in the last 10 years...and his name isn't TT...it's Brett Lorenzo Favre..!!!

Exactly Brett know what it takes to win...If he wants Moss, I say give him moss....Let TT ruin his own time at GB , not Favres time!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
P@ck66 said:

That tears it...

He's not caving by Brett playing...

THERE'S NOTHING HE CAN DO ABOUT (EXCEPT CUT HIM, WHICH HE DOESN'T HAVE THE BALLS TO DO..), and it's galling him...

TT can't make Favre retire, but he wants him too....

Since he won't retire, TT will be a VINDICTIVE ***** and say, "I'm not signing anyone for Brett Favre or anybody".....

I can't believe you can't see that..!

I really am confused..people claim Ted is all about him self and wants to do it his way no matter what..But he will put his ego to the side by not releasing Brett?

I dont see it that way at all, I see it as, the guy truly wants Brett to play..

There have been talks in the front office about Moss , but not the specifics of it all..So they are looking into it..

If Moss does come here it is because they need a deep threat no matter who the q/b is..However, the only reason Moss would like to play here is because of Brett..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He wants to release him, but doesn't have the "cajones"....

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want moss to be a packer more than I can stand it....But if he isnt not all is lost......However if we dont get at least one playmaker this year I would truly go insane, if TT doesnt drive me there before then!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
NOT this again...

And what about YOUR GOD TT..OBi1....???

What has he done to foster your unquestioning, slavish devotion to the him...over what Brett Favre has PROVEN to the GB organization..????

First of all, I don't scrutinize or exalt TT's moves. His agenda was clear when he came to GB. He wanted to build a team that will be succesful for years to come... That includes after Favre. He is doing exactly what he set out to do.

IF you've read my other posts, you'd know that I wanted Pack to trade for Bush, and I don't know that Rodgers is going to be the Favre's retirement.

Packers however, are IN the hands of TT. His agenda is to build a stronger smashmouth football team that can play on and be sucessful after Favre leaves.

Don't you think he knows that Packers can't count on Rodgers to play like Brett? I believe he does, so he changes the facade of the team. Instead of the QB driven finesse oriented, offensive minded team the Packers have been, TT s going in the direction of the power defense, hardnosed team.

Will he be successful? I care to believe it. We won't know will we? until that time after Brett's gone.

Favre will be playing next year with the BEST defensive team in a decade playing with him. He will have some solid ofensive weapons to work with. His years are limited... He MIGHT be playing his last year... Well, THIS is the Green Bay Packers. Favre can NOT win without the rest of the team. He has proven that.

Why don't you do everyone here a favor and post YOUR answers... Take a chance for once and tell everyone here how YOU'd do the GM job with the money, the chemistry, and the available players that are out there.

Then we will be able to tell next year if you were right all along.

Certainly, that has to be better than whining like someone's mother in law.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Actually TT would have preferred that Favre "retired"....

Why else do you think he's been giving him the cold shoulder over FA for the last 2 years....?

If you don't believe me..read this post by net....

Post subject: Mike Vandermause on TT !!!
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:22 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am one of the charter posters at the "fire Ted Thompson" websites, so my feelings about ROTTT (Reign of Ted Thompson Terror)are fairly clear.

Ted has done some good things. But he also has been lucky, and by lucky I mean that Brett Favre ignored Ted's cold shoulder and came back to play.
Stop to think what last season would have been with Aaron Rodgers at QB.
2-14? Among the good things are rebuilding the defense. He still needs help in the scondary, and another pass rusher, but overall, they aren't in bad shape there. They need some offensive weapons(not Randy Moss or Koren Robinson) and a kick returner.

My problem with Ted comes to me from a person who does have some inside knowledge of things at 1265 Lombardi. I haven't emailed this person in months, but at the time of the Sherman/McCarthy switchover, I was in contact fairly often.

The pro-Sherman crowd on the team(and they included some of the highest management) felt Ted's attitude coming in stunk. He basically felt most of the team stunk and he wanted to rip it to the ground and build "his team". I guess you don't blame a GM for that, but he proceeded to insult some of the current players, and pulled the pursestrings as tight as can be.
We wouldn't be having this conversation about "playmakers" if Javon Walker had stayed around. That was a direct Ted Thompson casualty, as an example.

Some of you won't believe this, but Ted didn't care if Favre showed up or not. In fact, he wanted Rodgers to play so he could see what he had. He wanted an all-new, young team. But he basically was hoping(contrary to public reports and the media) Favre would retire. So his demeanor at the press conference the other day isn't surprising. McCarthy, to his credit, realized that Rodgers wasn't ready and thanked his lucky stars Favre came back. Rodgers may never be ready. Think Jay Cutler.

Ted wants to build through the draft, but his first draft is so-so. His second draft could be a good one if players aren't hurt. This year's draft will be key. If he stinks again, the forward progress will be halted.

Ted is first and foremost, I'm told, a tightwad and had to be cajoled to go out and spend free agent money. Keep in mind he stayed well under this year's cap and will likely do that again. He will keep signing cheap players in the hope they develop. But someone got to him to sign Woodson. He knew he needed help with Pickett and spent there, but was going to shop the junk pile for help at corner. Look where they would be if Woodson hadn't been signed.

He also is not the friendliest guy to have around. Not that you have to be, but to act like a semi-jerk when your Hall of Fame QB decides to return should give you an inkling this guy is no winner in the public relations department. Ron Wolf could be a *****, I'm told, but he was always personable when he had to be, and kept lines of communication open.
Ted sees it as his domain, and the rest of us can just shut up. Big difference.

So this off-season could be key in a number of areas:

1)A. Green. The smartest thing to do is franchise him. Ted will let him float in free agency to 'set his price'. If Green isn't signed by free agent day, he might be gone. Green as a franchisee gets paid, Ted gets him one year to see if he earns it.

2)Jenkins. Keep an eye on the tender Ted puts on this guy. He's proven his worth to two coaching staffs. Ted might try the low-ball crap again and it might backfire. There's lots of teams who could use him.

3)Extending McCarthy. He's only signed for three years, which puts him in the Sherman "last year of a contract" status in 2008. The smart thing is to offer him two years this year, but the tightwad might just hold out again.

Lots more...but later.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
He wants to release him, but doesn't have the "cajones"....

Link?

You won't get one, I assure you.

bottom line, no matter WHO the GM is after Brett retires, the Packers are gonna take a hit. You don't lose a HoF QB and don't miss a beat. Ted is doing what his job requires, make the Packers a better team. Everyone (i assume) can agree that after the 2003 season the Packers as a team were starting to flounder and finally hit the bottom of the barrel in 2005.
It was no secret the team was getting old an lacked depth accross the board. We are not a young talented team who BTW brett feels encouraged about enough to play a 17th. So obviously Ted is doing something right.

If Ted's moves are good enough to make Brett excited, why can't the fans be excited as well?

Sherman built for NOW, I don't fault him for his effort. He did what he thought was best. WIN NOW. He failed, we moved on.
Ted is building for now BUT more so for a solid future.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
1)A. Green. The smartest thing to do is franchise him. Ted will let him float in free agency to 'set his price'. If Green isn't signed by free agent day, he might be gone. Green as a franchisee gets paid, Ted gets him one year to see if he earns it.

2)Jenkins. Keep an eye on the tender Ted puts on this guy. He's proven his worth to two coaching staffs. Ted might try the low-ball crap again and it might backfire. There's lots of teams who could use him.

3)Extending McCarthy. He's only signed for three years, which puts him in the Sherman "last year of a contract" status in 2008. The smart thing is to offer him two years this year, but the tightwad might just hold out again.

Lots more...but later.

Franchise Green?! You know how much money we'll have to pay him? We barely payed him above league minimum this year...there's no way he's worth top dollar even for one year.

I hope Ted keeps Jenkins. I think he knows not to low-ball a guy with his potential. What do you mean low-ball crap? When has he done that before in the past? That point doesn't make any sense.

I also don't understand extending McCarthy's contract. He's had one year to prove his worth...let's at least evaluate him for one more year before we sign him to a large deal.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Lots more...but later.

Franchise Green?! You know how much money we'll have to pay him? We barely payed him above league minimum this year...there's no way he's worth top dollar even for one year.

$6.9 Million is the franchise tender

Status
Not open for further replies.