moritz-boehringer

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to have Boehringer on the roster but I suspect New England or Minnesota will make a trade play for him just before our three 4th round picks. I too think that both he and Matthews from BYU are logical candidates as the future stretch the field TE/WR hybrid. I think Boehringer shows more natural receiving instinctiveness than either Janus/Schroeder.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he makes a nice back shoulder catch in there too. Nice adjustments. But it could all change when he's challenged by DB's that can legitimately challenge him, or he might just dominate them too. he's intriguing to say the least. Schroeder played 1 year of DIII football is all and made it to the NFL after that year and had a decent NFL career. I think the biggest knock was his catching in traffic, and who knows. Moritz might take a helmet to the ribs of an NFL safety and might develop the same aversion :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd like to have Boehringer on the roster but I suspect New England or Minnesota will make a trade play for him just before our three 4th round picks. I too think that both he and Matthews from BYU are logical candidates as the future stretch the field TE/WR hybrid. I think Boehringer shows more natural receiving instinctiveness than either Janus/Schroeder.

I wouldn't be a fan of spending a 4th rounder on this guy. Sure, he could possibly turn into the steal of the draft. But more then likely he will just be another one of those Media sensations that we hear about every year. A guy that looks amazing on paper and equally good in film, while playing football in a league comparable to Division III or less. The stats he compiled in the German Football League are for a 21 game season. Comparing him to Janis, who came from a Division II program, might be a good physical comparison. But Janis was a 7th round pick who has struggled to get up to NFL speed. He might be worth a flyer late in the 6th or 7th, but with only 3 years of playing football, this guy will be a project.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
he makes a nice back shoulder catch in there too. Nice adjustments. But it could all change when he's challenged by DB's that can legitimately challenge him, or he might just dominate them too. he's intriguing to say the least. Schroeder played 1 year of DIII football is all and made it to the NFL after that year and had a decent NFL career. I think the biggest knock was his catching in traffic, and who knows. Moritz might take a helmet to the ribs of an NFL safety and might develop the same aversion :)
Schroeder and Driver both took about 3 years development before they became starting calibre receivers. Schroeder had phenomenal athletic ability but was never a natural wide receiver. He just was not an instinctive football player but he sure could run and jump.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO Driver and Schroeder are exceptions to the rules as far as successful late draft developmental WR's and not something to hang your hat on as normal. If you look at the history of the Packers draft and probably the rest of the NFL, most of these guys aren't around very long. Again, Boehringer might have the physical make-up of a WR, but given that he has only played football at any level for 3 years, he doesn't warrant much more then a late 6th or 7th IMO. If he had put up the same stats in a 12-13 game season (as opposed to his 21 game stats) against Division I opponents, I would be more excited.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he had put up the same stats in a 12-13 game season (as opposed to his 21 game stats) against Division I opponents, I would be more excited.

I agree with your tale on Boehringer. Just as a side note he only played in 16 games last season though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with your tale on Boehringer. Just as a side note he only played in 16 games last season though.

Thanks for the correction. I got that stat from this article.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...drafted-german-football-league-2016-nfl-draft

"In 21 games last year, Boehringer caught 70 passes for 1,461 yards and 16 touchdowns"

Considering the competition he faced while playing in the GFL those stats over 16 games don't really change my opinion much. Yes, the guy looks like someone who could have the physical make up to be a WR in the NFL, but still not worth a mid round pick IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for the correction. I got that stat from this article.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...drafted-german-football-league-2016-nfl-draft

"In 21 games last year, Boehringer caught 70 passes for 1,461 yards and 16 touchdowns"

I used the stats from the official website of the German Football League. According to their data Boehringer had 59 catches for 1,232 yards and 13 TDs in 16 games. It seems like the ESPN article includes some games in European club competition as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I used the stats from the official website of the German Football League. According to their data Boehringer had 59 catches for 1,232 yards and 13 TDs in 16 games. It seems like the ESPN article includes some games in European club competition as well.

Yup, saw those stats after I read your post. Goes to show you, if you dig enough, you can find almost anything on the internet, right or wrong. LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bottom line though, you could use all your late round picks and UDFA slots for guys like this and maybe, just maybe hit on one of them every so often. Just seems like there are better gambles out there for these roster spots, guys that have been playing Football at a higher level for more years. Players that may have been stuck behind a star on the depth chart, coming off an injury, weren't in the right system to really shine. Those are the picks I rely on TT and his college scouts to sniff out.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd use a pick on J. Smith all day before I pick this guy. I'm sure Smith will be gone long before he is.
There's no question. I'd be shocked if this guy was drafted, but if he is, Smith is going long before him. If we had fewer holes, I'd go for Smith in the 2nd, but I'm afraid we don't have enough defensive firepower yet again to win big this year.

Members online

Latest posts