Morency out with knee injury

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jackson is the guy now. He'll start and be the guy all the way in my opinion. This really changes things for me.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
why? Mo will be back in 2 weeks(3 max) ....

He'll be back and then right back out again. He got injured by making some hard cuts or something, right? Well, he'll need to be making hard cuts constantly in the regular season so I just don't think this will be the end of his injury problems.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is def overreaction to this. I mean if it required surgery I would be very concerned but it doesn't. The Packers were going to give Brandon Jackson many opportunities to be the starting running back. This will just add to that. This shouldn't be looked down on as the sky is falling. Basically this just means more reps for Brandon Jackson and he'll probably open Week 1 as the starter because of this instead of taking over say in week 4. I do feel bad for Morency though.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
This particular incident isn't anything to fret over, however the bigger picture on this is Mo hasn't proved that he can stay healthy in college, in a couple years in the pros.

That is what is concerning over this, the kid can't stay on the field. Then look to Jackson's track record of injuries and there is reason for concern. The sky isn't falling.. however Chicken Little may be planning a trip to Green Bay.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
There is def overreaction to this. I mean if it required surgery I would be very concerned but it doesn't. The Packers were going to give Brandon Jackson many opportunities to be the starting running back. This will just add to that. This shouldn't be looked down on as the sky is falling. Basically this just means more reps for Brandon Jackson and he'll probably open Week 1 as the starter because of this instead of taking over say in week 4. I do feel bad for Morency though.

The thing that worries me began when I read the Packers are being very secretive over it.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/PKR01/707310620/1989

"I'll tell you what, he has a knee injury," McCarthy said. "If he wants to be more specific about his injury, you're more than welcome to ask him. I don't think it's my place to (reveal) the specifics. That's his place. If Vernand wants to share the details of his injury, he can go for it."
I found this interesting. First read came off to me as if Mike is not happy at all with Vernand about this injury and MAYBE feels Vernand is babying it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

The thing that worries me began when I read the Packers are being very secretive over it.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/PKR01/707310620/1989

"I'll tell you what, he has a knee injury," McCarthy said. "If he wants to be more specific about his injury, you're more than welcome to ask him. I don't think it's my place to (reveal) the specifics. That's his place. If Vernand wants to share the details of his injury, he can go for it."
I found this interesting. First read came off to me as if Mike is not happy at all with Vernand about this injury and MAYBE feels Vernand is babying it.

Aren't ted Thompson and McCarthy secretive people though, like Belicheck?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Aren't ted Thompson and McCarthy secretive people though, like Belicheck?

That's what I got out of this quote, too. MM doesn't wanna just pass out injury info on silver platters, even if it is TC. Alot of things from his demeanor to his quotes remind of Belicheck. (Who is easily one of the top 5 coaches of all time)

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think this is that bad. It will give the young guy a chance to prove what he has. But i wont argue or complain if we go out and get someone else!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's illogical for anyone to be concerned about the Packers RB position at this point, especially considering the inexperience, previous productivity, this news and the fact that Jackson also sat out some of the OTAs with soreness in his knee.

We also have to remember that it serves no purpose whatsoever for the Packers to be forthcoming with any news of an injury of this sort. If it was serious and they did have to go out and look to bring someone else in, they would be negotiating from a serious disadvantage if the other side (team & player) knew they were hurting at the position.

Reaction score
I agree with you Lare, that it isn't something to just shrug off.

But because of the injury, B-Jack has gotten a lot more reps, and it sounds like the extra work is paying off.

So from that point, there is a positive in Vernand getting injured for 2 weeks.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted Morency to win the starting job, but it's really important for Brandon Jackson to learn the ropes now.

So in other words, I don't care.

I don't draft Packer RB's in the Fantasy Football anyway. lol

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am completely confused by some of the reaction to this.

Ever since draft day I have been concerned about our running game. An unproven RB as the apparent #1 and a rookie as our #2.

Now, with a knee injury to our "#1", the rook seems to be the starter come opening day. Not only does he have to learn his plays, learn the offense, learn the "complex zone blocking system" now he has to do that in about 6 weeks.

If Jackson is not our starter and Morency does make the start at RB, we have to be concerned with him being healthy. I, in no way, shape, or form hope we have to rely on Noah Herron as our #2.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ever since draft day I have been concerned about our running game. An unproven RB as the apparent #1 and a rookie as our #2.

Now, with a knee injury to our "#1", the rook seems to be the starter come opening day. Not only does he have to learn his plays, learn the offense, learn the "complex zone blocking system" now he has to do that in about 6 weeks.

If Jackson is not our starter and Morency does make the start at RB, we have to be concerned with him being healthy. I, in no way, shape, or form hope we have to rely on Noah Herron as our #2.

There is nothing complex about the zone blocking system from the runners standpoint. go left or go right and instinctively look for a place to cut back. That is all the runner has to do. Also, Jackson had the zone blocking system in college. No prob in my opinion.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
axelred13 said:

There is nothing complex about the zone blocking system from the runners standpoint. go left or go right and instinctively look for a place to cut back. That is all the runner has to do. Also, Jackson had the zone blocking system in college. No prob in my opinion.

I personally am not worried so much about our backs being able to run and pick up yards. In the aspect if they stay healthy, we will be okay.

Again pass protection, recieving and if we go back a little running screen plays is were we will suffer with the inexperience.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"B-jack gets more reps, so thats a good thing"
ummm Morency needs reps just as bad as anyone on the team, so its not a good thing really.

BUT, again with the ZBS im not so worried about whos back there, just that someones back there.

and axlered.... umm for a Running back the ZBS aint all that tough to learn. NOT TO MENTION he ran the scheme in college so hes not completely blind going in here. Addai managed fine, Maurice Drew did pretty dang good...

with the ability of young backs these days, and the fact that we use the ZBS... makes me think there are worse things that can happen than Mo goin down for 3 weeks of preseason.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying from Day 1 that the success of the running game has a lot more to do with the offensive line than it does either B-Jack or Morency. I think if the offensive line improves like we all hope it does, the running game will come with it. If the offensive line struggles then so will the running game. So I'd be much more concern to hear problems with the offensive line or see them first hand then I am seeing Morency miss time. My point isn't that we should shrug this off. It's that this would not be at the top of my list as problems the Packers are facing as of now. My main concern is the offensive line and it's improvement.

Members online

Latest posts