More Saints hate on Rodgers

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/some-thoughts-mvp-situation-what-happened-219892/

have at it.

Main highlights...

It's clear that Aaron Rodgers won the AP vote by a large margin given the discussion, even though he broke a recent NFL record by a very small margin and Drew Brees broke multiple NFL records, the decades old one by a fairly large margin. I think Rodgers sat game 16 to avoid the risk of losing that single passer rating record. His margin was very thin.

MVP should be about more than just the individual records:

Brees helped his team set an NFL team record... Rodgers did not.

Brees helped two of his teammates set NFL records (Sproles and Graham for a short time)... Rodgers did not help his teammates achieve NFL records.

Brees certainly is cited by the players as helping them develop (Graham, Ingram as examples)... I don't hear that about Rodgers.

Brees helped recruit and secure Sproles for the Saints. Rodgers does not do that stuff.

Brees helped reach the CBA. Rodgers does not do that stuff.

Brees outplayed Rodgers in their head to head meeting. We lost that game on a Colston fumble, a kickoff return for a touchdown and failure to gain a yard on first down as the clock ran out.

On the other hand Rodgers had one more win and fewer INTs.

The past couple weeks Brees has been winning virtually ALL the end-of-the-season Fan polls on who should be MVP -- and there have been a lot of them. When fans looked at the total body of work... they said "Brees".

So what happened?

Here's my view:
1) Most of the Sportscasters went on record that Rodgers was having the best season by any quarterback, ever, by the end of October. Once on record -- they kept repeating it. I remember one NFLN segment where a cheesehead (this was an actor, not a real fan) said Rodgers was going to set the completions, accuracy, yards and passer rating records all in one season. Then the roundtable jumps in and everyone comments on how no one has every approached the level of play that Rodgers is exhibiting. I saw similar stuff on Fox. This did a couple of things. First, it cemented a position in a number of pundents minds.... and those guys don't want to say "I was wrong." after taking a strong position. Second it informed the public that Rodgers was it. This got reflected in the early Pro-bowl voting by the public ....

2) Drew played well through the first half of the year -- but forced too many balls in tight coverage. Drew played lights out the second half of the season... much better than Rodgers... but that got little coverage from the Sportscasters who were busy justifying their prior statements. Aaron Rodger's numbers were miracles, but Brees better numbers were the result of the new passing rules and shouldn't be viewed as exceptional.

3) New Orleans had a number of primetime, nationally televised games at year end.
Drew played better than anyone ever had at the position during those games... hence the public's view of his MVP status. Sportscaster's were still justifing their prior picks and sending messages "polling" each other to make sure they had a united opinion that they were right all along.

4) There was no Champion for Drew in that community. Had a couple respected guys stepped forward and said: "Rodgers was good this year, but you just can't ignore what Brees has done -- it is more impressive and we are voting for him." I think this would have turned the tide and he would be getting the same result in the AP voting that he got with the fans when the whole body of work is looked at.

5) The Saints organization did NOT help that much. A couple players said very positive things. But, in the past I remember general managers, owners and coaches saying "We are playing with the best there has ever been." over and over in news conferences. Brady and Manning have had this kind of support. It is more important when you are in a relatively small media market. The Saints did some of this in 2009. Not this year. It might be because of the contract situation, but it would have helped had the organization been a lot more public in it's support of Drew as MVP.

Brees got robbed again. If he has a performance bonus for MVP, that money won't be available for him to support local community projects.

Reaction score
no mention of brees having to pad his stats against weak teams like the panthers/vikings/colts/falcons ?

no mention of Rodgers not being allowed to pad his stats when he's ahead by 3 tds in the 3rd qt?
no mention of Rodgers slicing up good defenses (bears in december/windy weather/no dome)?
no mention of the fact that Rodgers won more games?
no mention that Brees has the better Oline/HBs/TE (plays in a dome by the way) ?

Saints fans dumb .... no doubting it now.

PackAttack1992

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... Just another way people, mainly Saint fans, trying to discredit Rodgers for what he's done. I'm not trying to lessen what Brees has done, but it got old weeks ago. 'Brees did this one stat better than Rodgers, therefore he should be MVP!'

I guess they ignore the fact that Rodgers sat out a game and a few 4th quarters. Never mind the fact that Rodgers has half the INT's Brees does. Never mind the fact despite all the yards Brees racked up, Rodgers is more efficient with his...

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez! Enough already, Packers fans are complaining about what Saints fans are saying? Its their team of course they are going to make arguments for their own players just like Packer fans do. Are you guys that concern with that Saints fans are saying? Every time I open a thread there's a link to the Saints board, if you don't like what they are saying don't go over there -- you guys are starting to be stalkers!! :p Plus, all this MVP bickering is getting annoying. Gawd, can't wait until they announced it so it can end!!!

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well cut us some slack here. We're not discussing possibly having to meet them in the playoffs. We're talking about them dissing Rodgers for MVP.

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well cut us some slack here. We're not discussing possibly having to meet them in the playoffs. We're talking about them dissing Rodgers for MVP.

You guys keep dissing their fans calling them dumb? I mean its a SAINTS message board of course they are going to be Pro Brees what do you guys expect? For them to have "WE LOVE RODGERS THREADS?" There's a few posts on here saying that Brees is "average" at best. It goes both ways. Brees is having a good year. To be fair they do make some good points for Brees. However, Rodgers deserves it but Brees is having an amazing year . But clearly, Rodgers will get it. So, who cares really?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I love how the argument goes that Brees helps out his team mates get records, its called padding the stats. I bet if Rodgers had 3 less receivers they would be on record setting years, but you know what he does, Rodgers throws it to who ever is open without throwing so many interceptions.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole discussion is getting tiresome. The only thing that bothers me is the constant drone that Flynn's performance against the Lions "proves" that Brees is better/more valuable to his team and that Rodgers is nothing but a system quarterback. Well gee, if that's all true and it's all the "system", then I guess that Flynn as starter would have had a season something like 480 yards x 16 games = 7680 yards and 6 x 16 = 96 TDs for the season.

Jesus, I guess Brees and Rodgers suck compared to Flynn.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
I feel like nobody remembers that just last year Brees had 22 int's. I agree he's good, but I feel like his turnovers will eventually cost them.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Going by how much the Saints are talked about on this forum, if Rodgers wins the MVP, there will be some excuse or a new one to ***** about New Orleans, just like all of you that think a team shouldn't run the score up on someone. Did the Packers not run it up to 48 against Atlanta last year?

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont understand why were so focused on talking about the saints? Theres way to much talk about them on this fourm. We wont even meet them till the NFC Championship, if both teams make it that far. Our main focus should be on our possible 3 opponents for next sunday's game... Not mvp races or whos better; Saints or Packers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole discussion is getting tiresome. The only thing that bothers me is the constant drone that Flynn's performance against the Lions "proves" that Brees is better/more valuable to his team and that Rodgers is nothing but a system quarterback. Well gee, if that's all true and it's all the "system", then I guess that Flynn as starter would have had a season something like 480 yards x 16 games = 7680 yards and 6 x 16 = 96 TDs for the season.
The term "System quarterback" is new to me so I still don't really get what it means and no definition is needed.
As long as they are winning games and if that's what Rodgers is, then I don't give a damn.
Funny how they are using it like an insult as if there is something wrong with having a winning QB no matter what the label is for him or whatever it takes to win.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez! Enough already, Packers fans are complaining about what Saints fans are saying? Its their team of course they are going to make arguments for their own players just like Packer fans do. Are you guys that concern with that Saints fans are saying? Every time I open a thread there's a link to the Saints board, if you don't like what they are saying don't go over there -- you guys are starting to be stalkers!! :p Plus, all this MVP bickering is getting annoying. Gawd, can't wait until they announced it so it can end!!!

Or if you don't like the conversation don't click on the thread. No different

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, so far there have been two "lists", one that Wilde compiled with 15 votes, including Peter King, Clark Judge, Adam Schein and Chris Mortensen, and another that Silverstein compiled (a voter himself), this one undisclosed. All voted for Rodgers. There hasn't been a single publicized vote for Brees, and there has been at least 15, probably more, for Rodgers.

The All-Pro voting, it was 47 1/2 votes for Rodgers and 2 1/2 votes for Brees.

Like I said in another thread, they can hate all they want, but it's not close, and the majority agrees. Rodgers had the best season of them all.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
And brees throws 5 ints . . . .

I don't expect THAT to happen. I mean our backup torched the Lions for almost 500. The only way the Lions will win is to get to Brees early and often.

Not like Mason Crosby having just as many tackles as Suh last week!

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Brees outplayed Rodgers in their head to head meeting. We lost that game on a Colston fumble, a kickoff return for a touchdown and failure to gain a yard on first down as the clock ran out.

lol what a crock of ****. If Drew Brees is the lights out dominant MVP QB they say he is he should have been able to win the game. But he didn't. With his league leading Tight End and All Purpose record breaking running back and Brees' passing yards. Yet....he can't overcome an 8 point deficit to take a game to overtime. MVP my ***

lol @ Rodgers not playing in the last game because he didn't want to ruin his QBR. Did they see what Flynn put up? What a joke.

lol @ the Saints fan crying because Drew not winning the MVP means he can't make charitable contributions. Like that's really the reason they want him to win the award and like Rodgers doesn't do anything in the way of contributing to charities.

lol @ Brees should be the MVP because he recruited Sproles. Are these retards serious about the dirty New Orleans sewage they spew from their mouths?

lol @ Brees should be the MVP because he helped his buddies break records by running up the score in games.

I'm surprised they didn't pull out the Rodgers hates cancer patients incident.

This is getting old. It seems the only people who think Brees should be the MVP are stat happy analysts and Saints fans.

Brees had a lot of numbers and records, but Rodgers has the relevant ones. Like QBR, low INT's, total touchdowns, and more importantly....wins.

Rodgers helps his team do something Brees doesn't - win football games. What is more valuable than winning?

Members online

Latest posts