More playing time for Rodgers?

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looking for some different perspectives. The season is in the tank, anyone think that the Number 1 Pick should get some 2nd half or 4th quarter playing time? I think it could help his development *if* the line can hold up for him and the recievers work hard.

On the other hand, the way the lines been playing, and the sloppy routes I've seen, and a rookie back to pick up blitzes... it might to more harm than good.

I understand the unwillingness to play him with GB being in most every game, but at this point, how much does that really matter? Then again, do you want to send the throw-in-the-towel-and-play-the-rookie message to the team???

Any opinions? I'd personally like to see him play some, just to see what he can do (or can't, as the case may be).

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With what he would have to work with you could ruin the guy for life. I'm not sure Peyton Manning could do any better than Favre with the players he has to work with.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does any one believe that playing him at this point in the schedule would be useful? Why not wait until he has a couple more mini-camps under him and give him a fair and thorough look in training camp and during the exhibition season next year.

How much development do you really believe will take place by putting him on the field unprepared?

Ron Wolf knows a thing or two about players and player development -- he has flat out said it would be a mistake because Rogers is not ready. Being impatient with a young QB can ruin them -- and for what to give him a few meaningless snaps?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a stupid idea unless we're either way behind or way ahead. Moreover, as Bruce said, Rodgers ain't ready. He's riding pine and better work his *** off in the offseason to get himself ready for next year because he might be the starter (though I think it's unlikely).

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the consensus appears to be...let Rodgers get more experience in mini-camps, pre-season, etc. Great idea...except that IS NOT how MS operates. He works Favre hard during those practices and mostly ignores Nall and Rodgers. Hell, after all this time, no one really knows what Nall can do. Same for Rodgers. In addition to his other failings, he does NOTHING to advance the developement of his QBs. It's very short-sighted but definitely his M.O. I've lost ALL faith in MS.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, ALOT would depend on IF Favre is coming back next year. If he's not, then give it to the rookie and see what he can do. If Favre retires, I don't want to wait till next season to see if "Mr. Rodgers" can cut it. Otherwise, you will be throwing away the first half of next season as he gets his first real playing time.
Personally, i don't understand WHY they haven't given Nall a REAL chance to win the starters job. To me, he has shown more in the short time he has been allowed to play then Rodgers or any other QB of recent times.
I WANT Brett to stick around, to see if they can get healthy and maybe do something big next year, but if he IS done now, then do something to prepare for next year.
If they keep losing games, they should have a pretty soft schedule next year. Maybe thats incentive for Brett to stay, I don't know.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
How does any one believe that playing him at this point in the schedule would be useful? Why not wait until he has a couple more mini-camps under him and give him a fair and thorough look in training camp and during the exhibition season next year.

How much development do you really believe will take place by putting him on the field unprepared?

Ron Wolf knows a thing or two about players and player development -- he has flat out said it would be a mistake because Rogers is not ready. Being impatient with a young QB can ruin them -- and for what to give him a few meaningless snaps?

Bruce - if the Packers were in any other position than what we have today.... and I mean... "today" .... then, I'd probably agree with you... But, the truth is - we shouldn't be looking at it from this patented perspective... It shouldn't be about whether or not it's USEFUL -- more like "it couldn't hurt" .. what's more - we're still working with an intangible.

I say play the guy - let him start the second half...

ON TOP OF THAT, let's see Brett chew the bench for more than a few minutes while the Defense is on the field. I think it'd do him some good.

WHAT WOULD REALLY BE A CHANGE IN ACTION would be for Brett to hold the clipboard and suddenly find himself smack dab in the middle of strategizing with Mike Sherman - something Mikey's avoided almost his whole career.... only at the Ford Field game last year did I see the HC talking to his QB throughout the game...

Whether Mike Sherman likes it or not - thinks it's appropriate or not - wants to or not, I don't care.... truth is, Favre prospers when the HC takes a direct interest in him..

Think back circa Mike Holmgren... those two always were jabbin' words with each other... and that was the real secret of it all - so, lemme ask all of you this...

"Does anyone really think that in 1996, having Mike Sherman as the Head Coach, instead of Mike Holmgren ... that the Packers would make it to the Superbowl?"

I DON'T

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Prez........to me, the Packers went 12-4 those couple years in spite of Sherman, not because. I KNOW alot of people might get mad for me saying that, but it's how i feel. He never showed coaching skills in playoff games, when it really counts.
Part of me wants to see Brett keep playing this season, another part says sit him, and keep him from getting hurt for next year. IF he comes back next year.......and only he knows that answer.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I would Give for Brett to just come out now and say " I am playing next year". Fat chance on that though eh ? But it sure would be good for the team and fans to know in advance for a change. Go PacK Go.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have NEVER understood why Favre seems to enjoy letting the team and his teammates hang out there in the wind. IF he still has any passion for the game he'll WANT to play again...so why not come out and say it? If he's disgusted and has lost his zest for football, let him come out and say it. To me, it not only shows disregard for his team but seems to say that he'll make up his mind at the very last minute based on how he feels at that particular moment....even if it is AFTER the draft, too late to make contingency plans. He's been a great Packer, but IMO, he's placing himself way above the team that has always been his biggest fansand supporters. I'm sorely disappointed in him.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett should not have any trouble making a decision to come back next year. I don't think he wants to go out a looser. We should be able to get a couple of immediate contributors in the draft and key players coming off injury so next year could turn completely around.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I wonder if Favre has let is intentions be known. I think that in 2002 and 2004 he was closer to retiring than he is now anyway. I think next year is his time to bid ado. Sometimes I think he doesnt let people know ahead of time because it ****** sports commentators off to no end

Latest posts