More on MM, TT contracts

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers president: McCarthy, Thompson not going anywhere

• NFL.com
  • Published: Feb. 8, 2011 at 09:39 a.m

Now that the Lombardi Trophy has again taken up residence in Green Bay, next up on Packers president Mark Murphy's to-do list is working out contract extensions for general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday.

The football operations leaders are under contract for the next two years, but Murphy emphasized he wants the duo in Green Bay for several more years.
"We want Ted and Mike to be with the Packers long term, and I’m confident that they will be," Murphy said.
The Packers won their fourth Super Bowl -- and first since the 1996 season -- in spite of a run of injuries that saw 15 players, including six starters, go on injured reserve and two more starters -- cornerback Charles Woodson and wide receiver Donald Driver -- leave the game during the first half of Sunday's 31-25 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.
"It’s a tribute to Ted Thompson that he’s really put together a team that should be good for a number of years," Murphy said. "But I’ve been around the NFL long enough to know that each year stands on its own. It’s going to be a real challenge."
According to the Sun-Times, McCarthy is paid $3.4 million per season. By comparison, new San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh's contract averages $5 million, sources have told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora, and New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick reportedly makes $7.5 million.
McCarthy was clear about his future wishes on Monday.
"I would hope this is my last job," McCarthy said. "I’m a builder, and we have built something special. This program was built the right way, has quality people in Aaron Rodgers and all the way through that are going to lead this football team for a long time."

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Murphy is taking care of Capers as well.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do we know how much TT makes? both of them should be in the top tier of Coach/GM pay after this year. Camper's should be made ***. HC if Moss leaves or co-*** HC with Moss

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article on NFL coaching salaries here: The Average Salary of an Average NFL Coach | eHow.com

ave salary of a head coach is ~ 3.5 million

Shanahan and Carroll are getting 7 million!

MM deserves that, and I would put in an escalator based on winning another Championship.

I'd pay Capers well above the average NFL head coach salary of 3.5 million per year (he may already be getting this) also with an escalator for another Championship.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For TT, I'd pay him somewhere around the average for the head coaches--~3.5 million--more if another Championship occurs.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Pay TT whatever he needs to be paid, and then he will pay MM whatever he needs to be paid, even if it is more than Belichick. Get it done Murphy.

Just for the record, the only reason BB is paid as high as he is, is related to not having an OC/DC to also pay.

If we had one, or both, coordinators, he'd be paid a little less.

But yeah, MM deserves more than he is getting certainly.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ridiculous for Harbaugh to make that much when he has no track record to speak of. Miami was going to kill the market with Harbaugh by offering some $7 Million a year. Just stupid, akin to paying rookies what they got last year.

I wonder if some of this is a ploy to price other teams out of the competition? I don't believe coaches count against the salary cap, but owners still have a budget they have to maintain. If you can jack up the rates on the competition, you can essentially shut them down by forcing them to move on from a talented coach and constantly having to go with inexperienced coaches. Just seems stupid to pay a guy so much otherwise.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts