1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

More of his senile ramblings...

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2005.

1. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Madden most of the time. When you look at what else is out there, it's really bad. Most are so arrogant and opinionated they are a pain in the a$$ to listen to. The ESPN guys are always trying to be hip hop and cutesy. Really makes one miss Jim Irwin and Ray Scott. Ray Scott with his minimal amount of words, voice control and great presentation made the whole game seem like the last two minutes. Man, I enjoyed him.

2. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Madden isn't a bad guy or anything, but I agree...he's just dumber than a box of rocks, and rarely offers anything other than the most painfully obvious commentary and insight. You can honestly tell that Michaels has to dumb down some of what he says so that Madden can pick up on it.

Another vote for Collinsworth and esp. Walton being the biggest blowhards though! W/ Walton, not only is the content obnoxious, but so is that long, drawn out, nasal delivery.

OK...so who are the good announcers/commentators out there now? I'm probably going to get flack for this, but I really like Simms-Gumble, seriously.

3. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Collinsworth and Joe Buck are the worst two broadcasters out there, and guess what, they share a booth. ND, you're right on, Collinsworth acts like he never made a mistake, I wasn't around when he played but I discovered he was a starter, and nothing more. I honestly think Fox puts those two guys in the booth to give average people like you and me the feeling that anyone can be a play by play guy, because after watching those guys, i sure feel like i can...

'The A-Team' or whatever they billed it as needs to be broken up, Collinsworth's unequaled stupidity (for an NFL pro, he doesn't explain things too well), and arrogence, coupled with Joe Buck's feeble attempts at humor and off the handle biasedness...they should not be doing feature games. The loser out of the whole situation is Troy Aikman, I often become upset at him because I'm usually so irritated by what one of the other two jackasses said. I always thought three guys in the booth led to too much noise (Dennis Miller validated this claim), and it only spells trouble when two of your three broadcasters are...Buck and Collinsworth.

If you ask me, Dick Stockton and Moose Johnston do such a better job. No bias, the analyst doesn't go out of the way to explain simple facets of the game, they let the true football fans watch the game without assistance, something i'd prefer. The two keep the atmosphere light without babbling your ear off. Plus their 3rd man, Tony Siragusa, is on the field, certainly he is an outspoken guy but he also has pertinent information that fans actually want to hear. Yeah Joe Buck should be bumped from the top spot...and in baseball too...

4. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Could you think Bob Costas?

5. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    this man needs to put down the microphone imo...he is his biggest fan.

6. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    arrow...couldn't agree more. about Siragusa. He comes off as some big goof, rarely offers any substantial insight, and tends to ramble on about useless info about eating hotdogs or something like that.[/quote]

7. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    Let me defend John for a moment.

John is told by the producers how to act. If you recall when he was at CBS, he was quite animated, as was his time at FOX. He was paired with the ever cool(and slowly losing it) Pat Summerall. I think the ABC producers wanted him to tone it down to better fit Al Michaels' style. Michaels has a massive, massive ego and I suspect they told John to play down so Al would stay happy.

We will wait and see if there's a change next year... John is around 70 years old. He still is good analyst. What happens is he tries too hard to be cute. If he'd focus on the game, it would be better. But the age-old question comes: how do you analyze a Monday Night Game when its a blow out? The only thing to keep viewers is to have Madden act up(or have Joe Namath kissing the sideline reporters).

8. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Good points net. I didn't know Michaels was all about himself, that might be tough to work with. True about the blow outs too, but it just seems that Madden says some off the wall crap and it can be at the most inoppertune times. Favre to Walker to win the game on 4th down (no this didn't really happen, not that I know of anyway) Walker drops the ball on the 1yard line for the game winner, madden: "Boy he really should have made that catch *insert strange simile or metaphor here*"... REALLY? Just some of the stuff he says...