1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

More of his senile ramblings...

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    He just won't go away...

Madden joining NBC as NFL analyst
    Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - John Madden will join NBC as a game analyst when the network begins televising its newly acquired Sunday night football package in 2006.

The network scheduled an afternoon teleconference with Madden to make the announcement.

"John Madden is the best analyst in the history of the National Football League and, in my opinion, the best analyst of any kind in sports television history," said Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics. "John is much more than a football legend, he's an American icon."

Madden has spent the past three seasons teamed with Al Michaels on ABC's now-defunct "Monday Night Football."

"I have been doing this a long time and when I went to ABC to do 'Monday Night Football,' I thought I would finish my career there," Madden said. "But when the NFL did this new television deal, I looked at 'NBC's Sunday Night Football' package, and I thought this really fits me well."

Before joining ABC, Madden teamed with Pat Summerall to call Fox's lead game from 1994-2001. They were the top NFL announcing team on CBS for 13 seasons before that.

Known for his folksy style and his love of football's grit and grime, Madden has won 14 Sports Emmys.

The former Oakland Raiders coach - he led them to a win over Minnesota in the 1977 Super Bowl - has become a pop-culture phenomenon thanks in large part to the popularity of his video game "Madden NFL Football." Since its initial release in 1989, the game has sold more than 43 million copies and become the No. 1 selling sports video game of all time.

NBC is reportedly paying $600 million for a six-year contract that will allow the network to broadcast the NFL's Sunday night game starting with the 2006 season. The Sunday night game was previously shown on ESPN, which will now televise the Monday night game.

NBC also gets two first-round playoff games and the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2012 as part of the deal.

2. leopardmech

leopardmech Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Another Reason to have this then.

3. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    lol amen. They need a "madded mute" button. That way you can still here the rest of the announcers and commentary, just not his dumb @$$

4. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I appreciate John Madden, I think it's a priviledge to listen to him. I'd much rather have Madden and Micheals on ABC than have MNF on ESPN so ESPN can overhype football, beat it into the ground, just like they did for basketball.

Now we have to listen to the ESPN idiots--Theisman, Mcguire and the other guy (I assume thats who ESPN will have).

So many moron broadcasters...the ESPN guys, Joe Buck/Cris Collinsworth--I've learned to like John Madden even more after these other morons rose to prominence

5. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    :puke: god he is terrible.

Madden: I just can't stand some of the incoherent crap that he says. I don't know if it's old age or what but he says some off the wall crap sometimes. Sometimes he just leaves me saying :wtf:?

6. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    "Now when a player crosses the goal line with the ball, thats gonna be worth 6 points."

^^^I swear he said that.

Boom. tough actin Tinactin!!

7. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Haha that's what I'm talking about. It's not usually that bad, well sometimes, but arrow feels me on this.

8. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    indeed...

i think its kinda fun to listen to him though. if the game gets a little slow, you never know whats gonna come out of that guys mouth.

i need to think of a way to turn a Madden broadcast into a drinking game.

:pals:

9. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How about taking a shot every time he says " Brett Favre".
    You'll be drunk in no-time.

lol.
    Just a little jab :beer:

10. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    whats funnier is you're right...i can't get wasted that quickly on monday night.

on the subject of awful analysts..i'd have to say Chris Berman is public enemy #1.

"Woop!"

i can't stand him.

11. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    ESPN will be the death of pro sports as we know it. Berman especially, over hyping players--I'm glad the only spot he has during NFL's off-season is his top 10 plays, because he doesnt get much exposure. "Barry Bonds!" would be a great drinking game with Berman.

Anyone remember how he overhyped the Bucs in '02?

and dont even get me started on Stuart Scott--not to mention on NFL primetime, those two on the same set...too many unnecessary adjectives and unnecessary praises, makes my head explode...

12. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    Berman re-caps all the games for an hour right before the sunday night game. i wish all he did was the top ten.

and Stuart Scott definately gets the bozack. the hip hop slang thing was cute for a few months...7 years later its just nauseating. did you ever notice he has a lazy eye? creepy.

13. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Indeed

14. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    i didnt like his hip hop slang from the beginning, got old in about 7 highlights, but my thought was "thats his gimmick, alright let it slide" i hate how espn pushes him as their feature guy, he's EVERYWHERE on that network...also, the way he acts so cocky, arrogant, and annoying on stump the schwab, man thats the clincher, i hate stu

15. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    you think thats gonna help nbcs ratings? might as well switch over to desperate housewives.

16. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dunno... I kinda like him. Probably due to some of my oldest football memories were with him commentating. Besides, there are a lot worse commentators out there than Madden. To each his own, I guess.

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

17. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know who NBC will stick with Madden...for as respected of a commentator Al Michels is--it just isn't the same as Madden and Summerall. Summerall you'd swear was asleep at the mic during some of his games, but his voice meant so much, so did his knowledge. I remember at the end of one of the super bowls they had the official Pat Summerall "going away ceremony" on fox--which was sad bcause they ran out Summerall for...Joe Buck!

Summerall to Michels was a step down, I don't know who else NBC has to offer.

18. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    they should pair Madden with George Foreman. That could possibly be the funniest 3 hours on television every week.

19. vikefan

vikefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Why Teri Hatcher, are you plugging your own show again? You should get a raise.Any hints on the upcoming season or are you sworn to secrecy? Love ya, Chick!

20. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    boxers would make great commentators...George Forman would be great, as would Larry Holmes...but of course, I want MIKE TYSON in a booth

"o-o-ok lets check the weeplay"

21. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4

that'd be a live trainwreck...i would pay to see that.

22. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    no vikefan, no hints but thanks.

23. HatestheEagles084

Ratings:
    +1
    "mike where do you go after this fight"
    "...well i might just fade into 'bolivian"

honest to god...as little success as boxing is having with ratings and all right now...adding mike tyson to the broadcast team of even the most insignificant fight would generate interest. If I were in charge of something at ESPN, i'd arrange for that, that would be successful I have a feeling.

24. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I would bet they are scared of the liability of having him on live TV. Could you imagine what would come out of his mouth. Even if it was on a 3,5,9 second delay or something, all of a sudden there is a 30 second span of nothing... yeah mike must have gone off the handle... "Ahh... We'll be right back after this short break"

25. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    To be honest, I'd say Cris Collinsworth is football's version of Bill Walton (NBA Analyst). These guys talk like they never made any mistakes on the field or court.

I swear Bill Walton said once, "PLEASE...MAKE A FREE THROW SHAQ!" If that old a$$ tried to guard Shaq at any point in his career, O'Neal would have him for lunch.